STAR TREK 2d20

Manually applying damage?

Hey PF2 fans! Played my first game ever in Fantasy Grounds after years and years of GMing, but felt like a fish out of water since I was doing it in PF2 instead of 5e.

My GM seems to be manually rolling all of her dice, which isn’t quite my cup of tea — gimme that automation, baby! — but i respect what she wants to do. (And I do miss physical dice.)

Do I have any way to apply damage to myself manually with an effect or ability? I know I can just type in the wounds, but I am lazy and don’t want to do math.

You used to be able to apply damage by dragging a number from the chat window to the wounds field on your character sheet. But that's not working (it's just applying 0 damage). Let me look at that...

What you can do is create a "Spell" in the actions tab to deal damage - but don't put any numbers in the damage entry and change the target to "Self". Then when the GM rolls damage in the chat window, drag that number to the modifier box and click the damage button in the actions tab. You can also drag that damage button to the hotkey bar and use it from there instead of the character sheet.

See the screenshots below.

1) Create a "spell" class on the actions tab - call it Abilities, Misc. or whatever you want. Add 1 to the cantrips section (so that the cantrips header appears) - this isn't shown in the screenshot.
    2) Right click and select Add Spell Action -> Add Damage and change the Targeting to "self"
    3) Drag the damage button to the hotkey bar.

After the GM has rolled damage, drag that from the chat window to the modifier box.

Click the hotkey button (or press the relevant F-key) to apply 0 damage, plus whatever's in the modifier box. If the modifier is negative it will heal.

The main gotcha with this is that any resistances, immunities or weaknesses the PC has won't be applied as the damage will be untyped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 21st, 2023 at 08:30.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you so much!!! This will work, I think! I don't love that my barbarian looks like she has spells, but I'll take what I can get to automate some stuff so I feel more at home playing PF.

Also, want to give a shoutout to Dsaroujo's excellent GM Enhancements extension, which adds a chat command to roll arbitrary damage.

So you can do something like "/dmg 3d6 fire" in chat, and then drag the result to whatever character it applies to.

Such a useful feature that half the time I forget it's not base FG functionality.

Oh that sounds neat….i may have to grab that for myself. Don’t know if my GM would install it for herself but…that’s handy!

Continuing this train of thought…is there a way in PF2 to enable the manual entry dice option that is in the 5e rule set?

Quote Originally Posted by JShadow007 View Post
    Continuing this train of thought…is there a way in PF2 to enable the manual entry dice option that is in the 5e rule set?
    Exactly the same way. Turn on the Campaign option "Dice: Manual Entry".
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

….I…

…I swear that option wasn’t there when I looked. You clearly released a stealth update that added this functionality after reading my post!!!! LOL

Thank you for helping the idiot who asked that question

Thread Information