DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Forge vtt v SmiteWorks vtt for C&C

Hello all

ignore this question if it's stupid!

I've trawled the internet and forums for an answer so i thought i'd just put one up.

When i finally got to have a serious look at C&C it did something wierd to me. It gratified that part of me that wants something as feature-rich and satisfying as 3.5/PFRPG and gave me something of the simplicity and enjoyment I forever associate with AD&D 1 and 2!

Simple question: SmiteWorks or forge for a vtt? The cost isn't really an issue, just which people think is best. SmiteWorks obviously has much more content at the moment, but my instinct is to go with the forge vtt. But little things matter like some of the class options in the Castle Keeper or even the Castellan's Guide or stuff on the world setting Airhde. And so on.

if anyone has the time or a thought or two they want to share let me know.

thanks in advance!

A

Blog Entries
    I bought FG more than 10 years ago, because of Castles & Crusades. I played C&C on FG for many years and it filled that old school gaming void perfectly for me.
    Unfortunately I havent played with the new version so cant give you any feedback on that specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Hello all

ignore this question if it's stupid!

I've trawled the internet and forums for an answer so i thought i'd just put one up.

When i finally got to have a serious look at C&C it did something wierd to me. It gratified that part of me that wants something as feature-rich and satisfying as 3.5/PFRPG and gave me something of the simplicity and enjoyment I forever associate with AD&D 1 and 2!

Simple question: SmiteWorks or forge for a vtt? The cost isn't really an issue, just which people think is best. SmiteWorks obviously has much more content at the moment, but my instinct is to go with the forge vtt. But little things matter like some of the class options in the Castle Keeper or even the Castellan's Guide or stuff on the world setting Airhde. And so on.

if anyone has the time or a thought or two they want to share let me know.

thanks in advance!

A
    Just in case you didn't know: Smiteworks has a 30-days-refund guarantee (if you do not buy via Steam; otherwise Steam rules apply) So, you can just test everything you want to test and ask for a refund if needed

Also: I think you may get more answers over on Discord about that, at least my impression was that the C&C discussion is a bit more active there

Thanks to both damned and Kelrugem for your very helpful answers.

I'd forgotten that Smiteworks gives you a month free. Thanks for that info Kelrugem, it's very useful. I think i'll give it a whirl. I was using steam version simply because i know it's a problem free return inside two hours. That's normally enough, but not here. I got FG originally to help run RMC and also MERP (it's possible) and then i saw all the FG C&C stuff!

And thanks damned for the assessment. I am very tempted by the smiteworks version because it's got loads of stuff. Everything, i think!

We're pretty big Foundy VTT users so i have to say i'm struggling with the FG interface a bit, but i'm much more interested in teh systems/settings i can run rather than the ease of use.

thanks again

Andrew

Blog Entries
    Well, the C&C ruleset on FG (via The Forge) is free so you get good value there.

The rulebooks (PHB, M&T, ABP) are all $25 each. I'd say if you don't have the earlier decommissioned versions they're a solid purchase value wise. If you have these three IMO you have enough to run your game.

The CKG isn't out yet, but I have to think it will be coming along sometime "soon" - but I have no insider knowledge.

For adventures, all of the C series is out (1-7) and are $10 each. I don't have those so I can't comment however the screenshots make the implementation look good.

SmiteWorks has a sale this week on licenses - all are 50% off so you could pick up a Standard for less than a trip to your favorite restaurant for lunch in many cases. Ultimate is a bit more but quite IMO affordable.

I originally bought FG because of how it handled Rolemaster, but C&C was a quick second reason that made that choice a great one for me.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    In terms of the UI.
    You do have to try and leave your expectations of how it should work and just go with how it does work
    I think its actually a pretty decent UI once you get used to it - but if you keep fighting it then it sucks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGroundsice View Post
    It really depends on your needs. If you're looking for something with more content and resources, then I would recommend going with SmiteWorks. If you're looking for more customization and flexibility, then I would recommend going with the forge VTT. Both platforms have their own strengths and weaknesses, so it really comes down to what you're looking for.
    You can completely customise the PF2e experience on FG. The code is accessible. You can write extensions for it.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You can completely customise the PF2e experience on FG. The code is accessible. You can write extensions for it.
    Yep, you have a lot of options with the PF2 ruleset - above and beyond being able to add/amend all the various data records via the GUI, there's additional PC and NPC automation available - detailed in the Wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...nder+2+Ruleset

Plus with the upcoming Release 19, you're going to have a lot more automation options. See this video for a preview of some of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vomDTseB4

EDIT: although, re-reading this thread, it's more about C&C than Pathfinder Second Edition. Sorry for hijacking the thread with PF2 stuff...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I can't speak to Foundry, but I've been running C&C on FGU for well over a year. Currently, there is more content on FGU than Foundry, and seems likely to continue this way for some time. There are some automations in the ruleset, but it is by no means as automated as 5E or PF. Still, it does everything we need it to do. Maps, LoS, and all those things are in there and work well. My players love the drag n' drop combat and spell effects.

The developers are approachable on the discord and are always seeking input on what features to implement next.

Thread Information