STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    Fantasy Ground is the main reason i came back to play RPG after a decade long hiatus. And right my main source of a very humble income, as i fulfilled my dream to become a profesional gm.

Love everything about it. The soft, the devs, the comunity, the tools. And right, this post is a confirmation to all of that.

DnD popularity gave us a lot of reach, but that was mainly a 3rd party merit (critical role). And i will be forever grateful for that.

RPG are a form of Art, that its about the comunity, not the system. No one can own that, in the same way no one can own music.

No matter the game rules, or the publisher. We will keep playing, we will keep together. Last weak was a massive statement about that.

Here to stay.

There's an interesting idea in a post on the dndnext subreddit.

If WotC really wants to bury the hatchet, they could voluntarily license under the ORC. That saves them the effort of coming up with their own language and proves that their earnest intention is to build out the ttrpg community, and that they have no intention of pulling this nonsense again.

Agreed. It will never Happen! JMHO...
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Good to see FG has been in contact with WOTC. Hopefully we dont all get screwed here. This platform has saved my gaming group personally. Hate to see this go away before of WOTC bottom line.

It's good to see that Smiteworks is on top of it. It seems some solid licensing agreements are in place.

Wizards/Hasbro wants to make their VTT their cash cow. A digital store for all things DnD with a plethora of micro-transactions for (3d) tokens, emotes, skins, fx, digital dice, 3d assets and so on and so forth. The OGL update was forged to keep 100% control on anything that would be created there and get all the revenue possible by enslaving everyone else. Creators would always live in fear of the wills and whims of WotC. What a nightmare!

Instead of farsight they favored short term profits by making a sad attempt to disseize the work of others. Absolutely UNFORGIVABLE.
    It would be so easy for them to get more earnings by expanding merchandise, offering more official classes, quality maps, dice, Wyrmwood like gaming utensils, plush's, minatures.... The list goes on.
    But no, this would require too much of an investment, right?

I was shocked. The company that enabled me to have great fun with friends and family or even strangers, that I had thought to be morally exceptional, suddenly turns EA, turns Blizzard, turns evil. Their answer is a sad joke full of false information and claims, so easy to see through. Their Plot failed and they have irreparably damaged their IP, their community and any trust they once had.

That is how I see it and that is how I will act upon. I was thrilled for One DnD, for the new rules and enhancements. I was happily discussing the UEA material with my players and was dreaming of what would come next. All of this has turned sour. So much so, that I will take strolls to other systems, I may just find one that provides a similar experience. If I do, there is little that will hold me back from changing to it. WotC will have to move heaven and earth to make me think otherwise.
    This I don't see happening. I'm sorry for all the wonderful people that work at WotC, their leadership has shown its ugly mug.

Goodbye DnD.
    Last edited by SirMotte; January 15th, 2023 at 04:35.

I support ORC(L) and #opendnd!

Check out my Extensions and Materials for FGU!
    Dark Theme: Sir Motte's Magnificent Darkness - Hearth Edition.
    Custom GM Icon: Sir Motte's GM Icon Replacer.
    Midjourney Art: AI generated images for my campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Wizards of the Cost has just released their statement and it is what I hoped it would be.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1423...me-license-ogl
    They still want to de-authorize 1.0a, which is still very problematic. Trust has been broken and will not easily be re-earned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Transbot9 View Post
    They still want to de-authorize 1.0a, which is still very problematic. Trust has been broken and will not easily be re-earned.
    I dont believe it says that.
    They will be releasing new data (they can also re-release existing data) under 2.0 or whatever, but to me it reads that they are leaving 1.0a alone.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont believe it says that.
    They will be releasing new data (they can also re-release existing data) under 2.0 or whatever, but to me it reads that they are leaving 1.0a alone.
    This:
    The next OGL will contain the provisions that allow us to protect and cultivate the inclusive environment we are trying to build and specify that it covers only content for TTRPGs. That means that other expressions, such as educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses, etc., will remain unaffected by any OGL update. Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected.
    It indicates that they are still wanting to sunset OGL 1.0a. Content already released under 1.0a was always going to be fine. Future releases? Ehhhhh....let's just say I am looking forward to the ORC license.

Blog Entries
    1.0a did not invalidate 1.0. It says that creators can use whichever one they chose.
    2.0 will cover stuff released under 2.0.

The truth is WOTC can put anything they want to in a FAQ. We won't know anything until the license is actually released/leaked and the language itself can be scrutinized.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Thread Information