DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Talent conditions.

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong here, but I have created a character. This character has the talent of Suspicious, which grants him the ability to "Ignore mental Conditions when making VIGILANCE tests." I am rolling a Vigilance test with two mental conditions and the roll is still subtracting them. I will attach a screenshot for clarity. Questions.
    1) Are the talent conditions automated?
    2) If not, is it possible? And how would I do that if I wanted to come up with new talents for my players?
    3) Also, if not, how do I tell my players to handle the conditions? Is it up to them to remember to adjust their die rolls?
    4) Where are the current conditions for the Skills tests located? Is that something as a GM I would be able to modify?

Thanks.

Vaesen_Talents.jpg
    Last edited by indavis; January 10th, 2023 at 22:19.

There is no talent automation, there is plan to port the talent automation framework I started putting in Alien and Forbidden Lands to Vaesen. I will go through talents and see which is good candidate for automation and which not.

For now I can suggest to just add +X modifier to the roll by the player.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I went through the list and it looks like these are the talents that don't have some kind of outside condition that can affect them.

Brave
    Emergency Medicine
    Empathetic
    Focused
    Knowledge Is Reassuring
    Suspicious
    Wordsmith

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    I went through the list and it looks like these are the talents that don't have some kind of outside condition that can affect them.

Brave
    Emergency Medicine
    Empathetic
    Focused
    Knowledge Is Reassuring
    Suspicious
    Wordsmith

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    This is a very good start!!! I will check those talents and if indeed look as good candidate for automation I will start with them on the next development cycle.

I know you said you have an idea for this, but thinking about future proofing this where GMs could add in new Talents, could we have a field next to the skills that is a modifier maybe with an up/down arrow? Using the roll modifiers by the dice works but has to be redone each roll. If each skill had a variable for a modifier, it would at least make these easier to track/remember for the players and keep the value of the skill intact. If I am out in left field on this let me know and I will squelch the ideas. I just know myself and my friends, we will invariably forget the modification at some point if it's buried in a Talent.

OK, so this feature suggestion is basically: "Provide a means for permanent modifier to a roll with visual indication that is separate to the desktop modifier box and talent automation.". I have an idea how this can be done in elegant way without impacting the overall style of the sheet, though I will need time to investigate the implication of such change, as it will require huge update to the data model.

For the time being, you can use persistent effect in combat tracker to give this bonus, for example:

Suspicious [Vigilance +X] and update the X based on the current conditions. Takes some effort to maintain but at least players won't need to do it on every roll.

I had no idea you could do this in the combat tracker. Don't make major changes on account of me, especially since I had no idea about adjusting values like this in the CT.

Edit: So I just tested it in the CT. Sure it has to be manually adjusted, but I think this solves the concern I had about players (and me as the gm) forgetting about the Talent modifier. They will just have to adjust it as they take conditions, but we can't have everything fully automated. I am pretty tickled about this now.
    Last edited by indavis; January 12th, 2023 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    I had no idea you could do this in the combat tracker. Don't make major changes on account of me, especially since I had no idea about adjusting values like this in the CT.
    We have provided various effects as part of the module. You can create custom ones and apply in CT, which is the standard approach in other rulesets as well. Here is the documentation for this: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ifiers+Effects

We also updated the Insights & Defects box in Action tab of player's sheet to take Effects you create using the aforementioned syntax and parse them during a roll. This is something that players can control as well. So three ways to handle this use case while I bring some talent automation:
    - Modifier box
    - Effect on PC in Combat Tracker
    - Effect on PC Sheet in Insight & Defects

So I guess this never registered when I went through the wiki the first time. I think this covers what I thought I was concerned about. Thanks for helping me get a better grasp on this!

Thread Information