DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

Natural Selection - A solution to stacked tokens

Forge Link: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/953/view

Wish there was a way to gracefully handle when multiple tokens are stacked together on a map? Well now there is! This extension detects when multiple tokens share a grid space and will pop up a selector window that lets you pick which token in the stack to select. This also works in reverse, allowing you to target a specific token in a stack without selecting it. You can also drop rolls onto the token selector window as if it were the token on the map.

This extension adds a new game option that lets you specify where, relative to the token being selected, the token selector window appears (default is top-right).

This extension has very little risk colliding with any other extension, and should work for any ruleset based on CoreRPG.

Known Issues
    - Player interacting with stacks that contain hidden tokens doesn't always work right. There are two bugs in FGU that I raised with Moon Wizard. When those fixes are implemented I can revisit this issue.
    - Token stacking is a little weird with Aura effects. Working on this one.
    - Iso grid doesn't really work.

Potential Features
    - Add token widgets (health bar, icons, death indicators, etc) on the token selector window. This is currently not possible with the limited access to widgets that we have. If this ever changes in the future, this is #1 on my list of features.

Changelog
    v1.8.0 - Added a game option to enable tokens that are part of stacks to display an icon on them. This is somewhat experimental and is likely going to cause performance issues on maps with large amounts of tokens or when running on lower-end hardware.
    v1.7.2 - Fixed error when players would click on a token not on the combat tracker.
    v1.7.1 - Fixed stack ordering issue introduced with the 'send to back' feature.
    v1.7.0 - Added game option to enable selecting tokens that aren't on the combat tracker. Added radial option to the popup window to push a token to the bottom of the stack.
    v1.6.1 - The selector window now closes when the clicked image closes.
    v1.6.0 - Added targeting and faction widget to token selector window. Middle mouse clicking a token now opens the token's sheet. New game options. Minor bug fixes.
    v1.5.2 - Updated the overlap threshold calculations so they're more intuitive and reliable. Added a new game option to scale up token's to the nearest multiple of the image's grid size before performing overlap detection.
    v1.5.0 - Added game options to set an overlap detection threshold, as well as set the calculation method used for the different grid types.
    v1.4.1 - Fixed an error that was preventing you from selecting stacked tokens.
    v1.4.0 - Added support for hex grids (the math to make this work is simplified so the overlap calculation isn't not exact) and holding shift to multi-select.
    v1.3.0 - Hidden tokens no longer appear in the selector window for clients. Tokens in the selector window now have a tooltip that displays their name.
    v1.2.0 - The token selector window now opens precisely next to the token, and the tokens in the selector window are scaled to roughly match the token's on the map. There is a new game option to specify where, relative to the token being selector, you want the selector window to appear (default is top-right)
    v1.1.0 - Tokens of different size now correctly calculate overlap
    v1.0.0 - Initial release
    Last edited by Saagael; May 24th, 2023 at 23:00.

Very nice - next stage you know what to do! Very impressive and I feel it will soon be perfected!
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

This sounds great. Thank you for this.

Awesome!
    This will make life so much easier for my groups with familiars or mounts, or tiny creatures, on top of the general usefulness of things like players accidentally moving simultaneously to the same space.
    Great stuff!

The one minor issue I have noticed is that there are some glitches with the Aura Effects extension, as only the top token is automatically targeted. Not sure which extension would be more easily adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by ScribblingRambler View Post
    The one minor issue I have noticed is that there are some glitches with the Aura Effects extension, as only the top token is automatically targeted. Not sure which extension would be more easily adjusted.
    Not sure what you mean the only problem I have (and author is aware and going to address it) is that its center point only matching. Since it has to be EXACTLY on top of eachother. As this should be taking into account the size of the critter and how things in that overlapped space need to also pop up on list that is an issue.

For sure I've not deeply tested it yet but I used all the things in my signature plus BCEG, AURA, Token Height, and Sir Motte's theme - with no issues yet - other than the one I mention above.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I only tried it very briefly, so I will try to play with it more tomorrow.
    What I noticed is that I had a character with an AURA effect stacked with a mount token. When I selected the mount, all of the FROMAURA effects went away, and they came back when I selected the character. It appeared that the mount never received the aura effect.
    In any case, I will play with it more tomorrow.
    And it's just a minor quibble. I still greatly appreciate your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by ScribblingRambler View Post
    I only tried it very briefly, so I will try to play with it more tomorrow.
    What I noticed is that I had a character with an AURA effect stacked with a mount token. When I selected the mount, all of the FROMAURA effects went away, and they came back when I selected the character. It appeared that the mount never received the aura effect.
    In any case, I will play with it more tomorrow.
    And it's just a minor quibble. I still greatly appreciate your hard work.
    I think I know why this might be. In order to pop a token to the top of the stack I move the token one pixel back and forth. Since the token on top is the last one to move, this puts it on the top of the stack. Likely this movement is causing aura effects to get funky. I'll explore more with this and hit up that dev for some ideas on how to fix this.

Thread Information