DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 12 First 1234 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    1. Reboot. Not a restart but a complete shut down, walk away for a few minutes and then start up again. Seems to make a difference (anecdotal).
    Unless you have changed your Windows reboot settings from default Restart is the better option.

Shutdown closes all the programs and then puts the computer into Hibernation mode. It uses very little power but it hasnt actually restarted the OS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Unless you have changed your Windows reboot settings from default Restart is the better option.

Shutdown closes all the programs and then puts the computer into Hibernation mode. It uses very little power but it hasnt actually restarted the OS.
    Thx for that, it explains the behavior I've been seeing with my new Win 11 laptop.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Umm, don't do that. Smiteworks and almost everyone here will tell you to NOT do that.

This sounds like some of your extensions might need updated especially if they aren't in the Forge (or are old and no longer maintained).

Not updating does not prevernt the game from crashing in the exact same way.
    I run 2 extensions, one is Shops https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...hp?59581-Shops (purchased from DM's Guild)
    The other one is Universal Module extension (forge) https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/266/view

I have tried disabling both of them but I still had issues.
    Last edited by moostik; December 1st, 2022 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    When this happens, how long have you waited to see if it would clear? Most of the comparatively intense stuff FGU does isn't taking advantage of your GPU acceleration or multi-core CPU. Back when I was running a bunch of games (supposedly it's faster nowadays) I would see hangups for around a minute on some actions that involved long lists.

Not sure, I've waited several minutes but likely not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Sounds like you have bandwidth issues. How big are the images and modes you are sharing? How .any players do you have? What is your upload (not download) speed? Does this happen when only 1 player connects?
    Seems to be connected to uploading for sure. However, if uploads are taking time because some players have slower internet connection than me, why should that crash the server? The networking code in FGU must be really bad if that is the case.

I have roughly 5 players every session. Some of them live really far away from me. Literally a different continent.

The first map images I used were modest size, I had problems even then. I've since used a couple of maps I made myself, those are larger in size. Problems generally arise during combat, but not always.

My upload speed is 1000 mbps. There's nothing wrong with my line, I have been hosting game servers with 20-30 players (Conan Exiles etc) where even players connecting from the middle east (I live in Europe) had zero lag.

This does not normally happen with just one player connected, it's a problem that only arises when we have an actual session (i.e. only when it actually matters)

I'd say it might be a bandwith issue, but it has nothing to do with my bandwith whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    It should not be spinning for 10minutes for sure. I would think that there are conditions where 1 min might be expected - combination of user download speed, your upload speed, how much data is being transferred. How big is your campaign directory? I dont experience any where near the conditions you are describing and im on a 8yr old cpu and cheap gfx card but I also dont use a lot of lighting or huge numbers of actors in the CT.

Blog Entries
    It is unfortunately the case that when a player connects the GM client does mostly stop other tasks and just handle the new client.
    It should not crash either side.
    How big is the campaign folder?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What is the size of your campaign folder for this campaign?
    If you start a new RMC campaign and open your normal modules and load an encounter and get someone to connect do you get the same issue?
    When a player is connecting for the first time I think it is pretty normal for your session to freeze for a few seconds at least.
    After that is should generally be OK.
    Can't check the size right now. It's not huge, its a new campaign, we're 7 painful session in I think. I've tried loading a new campaign and have a single person join, it's fine. I only have problems when several players are connected.

Blog Entries
    If its a newish campaign then that is probably not an issue.
    Is there anything that you are leaning towards it being?
    Does the issue occur when a particular player is connecting or doing something?
    Does it happen when moving to a new map or adding a new encounter to the CT?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    And also check on your GPU usage - if it's high, maybe use of the /vsync command might help - see here for more information: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    Basically it seems only 1 or 2 cores are working at the same time. None of them are even slightly stressed, cruising at below 40% load at all times as far as I've been able to observe so far.
    I'll keep an eye on i again, but tbh with my specs, if I had issues with CPU usage I thing everyone would.

I'll check out the vsync command though, thanks.

Thread Information