5E Character Create Playlist
Page 5 of 12 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    I use that exact map as is, under approximately the same conditions as you describe and don't seem to recall having issues. How many occluders etc. do you have?
    Anywhere from none whatsoever to plenty. If I ran something like a cave there would be a bunch of LOS walls and such of course. If I ran an outdoor daytime encounter there would be no additions to the map save possibly a fog effect. Thing is, it crashes while I'm sharing a map, even more often if I also populate the combat tracker, but it never crashes unless players are connected.

I can load massive maps and prepare them for session, and I can run test fights in the combat tracker with a massive amount of combatants, and have no issues. I just can't run a session successfully.
    I also tried to replicate the error with just one player connected, but we could not make it crash in that instance.
    Last edited by moostik; December 2nd, 2022 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    Basically it seems only 1 or 2 cores are working at the same time. None of them are even slightly stressed, cruising at below 40% load at all times as far as I've been able to observe so far.
    I'll keep an eye on i again, but tbh with my specs, if I had issues with CPU usage I thing everyone would.

I'll check out the vsync command though, thanks.
    My post was specifically referring to GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) not CPU. If you have a gaming rig it could be that you're running at a high frame rate and taking a lot of GPU resource - as mentioned in the Wiki troubleshooting page I linked. Can you check the GPU usage when experiencing issues, not CPU usage, please?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    My post was specifically referring to GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) not CPU. If you have a gaming rig it could be that you're running at a high frame rate and taking a lot of GPU resource - as mentioned in the Wiki troubleshooting page I linked. Can you check the GPU usage when experiencing issues, not CPU usage, please?
    Sorry, misread that. My 3070 didn't even get hot last session. Didn't check its resource use though. Unfortunately it only crashes during sessions, so I'll use the /vsync 0 command next time and see if it helps.
    Last edited by moostik; December 4th, 2022 at 22:21.

Blog Entries
    4200*4200, 6.6 mb maps with a few light sources and 5 player tokens plus a dozen enemies will definitely cause issues on a modern gaming rig? My best bet is to resize those maps?
    Because initially those were the largest maps in the campaign file, and I had issues from session 1.

I will try it if that's what you rcommend.
    No, that image is not a problem for the host. But it might be for one of your players. For instance, I've run much larger images than that on my old 8+ year old laptop. But, if one of your players has a potato, or a really poor internet connection, then you can all have problems.

Freezing is not crashing. FGU freezes when it is busy doing something. Usually this is not more than a second or so, FGU is also mostly single threaded, meaning it can only do one thing at a time. So, if you share a 6MB image and one of your players have really horrible bandwidth with dropped packets etc, then your computer (the host, freezes while it tries to serve the image to that one player. In most cases this shouldn't be more than 30-60 seconds, but it can grow exponentially depending upon the player connection. I think earlier you said that it had frozen for 10 minutes. And that would definitely indicate something is wrong, something like router throttling or other security applications getting in the way.

If you can isolate/reproduce what causes it or under what conditions it occurs, then we can help you trouble shoot more specifically. You might be able to try using a different internet connection (i.e. a phone hotspot, from your library, etc) and see if that resolves/helps.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've had people drop off and then reconnect during session. GM side client is fine, it doesn't freeze but in worst case scenario it takes a slight pause (about a second) to think about it.
    Re-reading the posts and seeing this just now. Are the players dropping off due to a forced disconnection, or are the disconnecting themselves (closing FG)? If it's a forced disconnection then this points towards something on the GM server <-> remote client network connectivity - as players are dropping and reconnecting, but your local client doesn't.

The next time you have issues and players start disconnecting, please collect the FG logs from the GM side and also from at least one of the players who are having issues - details on how to compile logs can be found here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    No, that image is not a problem for the host. But it might be for one of your players. For instance, I've run much larger images than that on my old 8+ year old laptop. But, if one of your players has a potato, or a really poor internet connection, then you can all have problems.

Freezing is not crashing. FGU freezes when it is busy doing something. Usually this is not more than a second or so, FGU is also mostly single threaded, meaning it can only do one thing at a time. So, if you share a 6MB image and one of your players have really horrible bandwidth with dropped packets etc, then your computer (the host, freezes while it tries to serve the image to that one player. In most cases this shouldn't be more than 30-60 seconds, but it can grow exponentially depending upon the player connection. I think earlier you said that it had frozen for 10 minutes. And that would definitely indicate something is wrong, something like router throttling or other security applications getting in the way.

If you can isolate/reproduce what causes it or under what conditions it occurs, then we can help you trouble shoot more specifically. You might be able to try using a different internet connection (i.e. a phone hotspot, from your library, etc) and see if that resolves/helps.
    Thanks, this does help. I do have some players with lower end pc's and bandwith. I've had my client freeze up to the point where windows tells me "Unity Engine is not responding". What my answer was before is, I have waited for some minutes to see if it clears up, but I have likely not waited 10 minutes. In the end I have killed FGU off and restarted it, assuming it would not recover. To make a fairly random estimate, let's say my patience has had a duration of about 6 minutes at most. These freezes have been happening even when i was sharing a map where nothing was moving on said map, in sessions with no combat. The seem to be more frequent where tokens on the map are in the combat tracker and things are changing on the map. They do not however happen during the process of sharing the map itself, I always wait to let all players confirm they have loaded the map and can see it.

I have a fiberoptic 1000 mbps (1 gbps) up+down (synchronous) internet line, which is very stable for everyhting else I do, and I am connected to it via a wireless network router (standalone) using a CAT6 cable, and the router is connected via a similar cable to the broadband modem where the fiber comes in. I have considered connecting to the broadband box directly and I can try that to see if there is any difference, but I seriously doubt that firewall is the problem because I already port forwarded the ports FGU is using to my PC (as there are multible devices in my house). Still could be an issue with that box, so I could try.

If the problem was related to my newtwork setup or internet line, I'd be surprised. The freeze happens when something specific is going on, at least for the most part. Would my firewalls care more about me moving a token or adding an effect than it would care about me sharing a map at the beginning of a session, because that would make no sense.

I'm leaning more towards some of my players have issues with theirs, or perhaps their line is just slow and I should try waiting for longer as well as using smaller maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Re-reading the posts and seeing this just now. Are the players dropping off due to a forced disconnection, or are the disconnecting themselves (closing FG)? If it's a forced disconnection then this points towards something on the GM server <-> remote client network connectivity - as players are dropping and reconnecting, but your local client doesn't.

The next time you have issues and players start disconnecting, please collect the FG logs from the GM side and also from at least one of the players who are having issues - details on how to compile logs can be found here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    Certain specific players have this issue at random times. I'll collect the logs next session (tuesday) unless the issues are already resolved by then. Since I never have issues unless people are connected, I can't troubleshoot much.

I should mention I currently play in another GM's game using FGU as well. I never have any problems being connected to their campaign as a player.

Blog Entries
    It seems likely related to one of the players' connections. Collecting as many of their logs as possible along with your will help. Good luck!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Attachment 55311

This is the typical map size and type I use. And yes, different group members have different vision types and there may or may not be light sources on the map depending on time of day etc. I sometimes use weather effects and oteher FX as well but not always.

If FGU can't do what it's made to do and I need to constantly make sure I don't throw to many enemies at the party or use a map over 2mb because the game might crash, then that tbh is a massive disappointment. If it caused slowdowns and froze for a few seconds I could deal with it and manage my resources, but a CTD or freeze without recovery is unacceptable. I really hope there is something that can be done.

Thank you all so far, I have a few things I can try now at least.
    I don't think I have that map, but I've used many like it. You can reduce that 6+ mb size to around 2 mb without a significant decrease in image quality. Would make a big difference to your lower end computer users.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

There are some factors with players connected.

First, they don't always have the best of computer hardware, so while things might run like a champ on your system, they might lag the elf out of theirs.
    Second, with players located in different geographic locations, different ISPs, and different network technologies, there can often be a lot of unanticipated lag that nobody can control.

Like you might have an elf ton of RAM but your player might be running 4 or 8GB and a large map with a lot of extra features and tokens might just kill their system.

There are so many possible reasons for problems, and one of my players lives in the dark ages of computer technology, so I tend to stick to smaller maps and only as many tokens as I absolutely need active at one time. That keeps her system from going off the deep end (most of the time) and makes everything run pretty fast.

I find that when my system is lagging and temp-crashing, it is almost always the size and complexity of my maps. Of course, the RMC ruleset probably adds some to the issues, there is a lot of mysterious magic under the hood making all that happen!

Maybe you could zip your campaign and Dakadin could take a look at it just to be sure it's not something in RMC?

Thread Information