FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Based on what you've tried so far with reduced map/token usage, I'm thinking that it might be something specific to the RM resolver code in certain situations. Since FG is a platform, the implementation of the ruleset can have a big impact on performance and usage. Dakadin has done a great job; but RM is a very data-heavy and complex system with a lot of moving parts. Any information on the actions that happen just before any hangs will be very useful (for activity from GM and players both).

Regards,
    JPG
    I'm having a hard time finding a common denominator regarding what I am doing before the freeze/crashes after probably 100 freeze-ups where none of them recovered.
    -Most often during combat, while someone is interacting with the map. I've noticed sometimes it's when i drag a pointer. Or a player plots movement. Or I hit the resolve button in the table resolver.
    -Often when a map is shared with tokens on it but there's no combat.
    -Sometimes when all players are connected but nobody's touching anything as far as I know. For instance we're just starting session and we're just talking.
    -Never unless players are connected.
    -Never when I join other GM's campaigns, playing rolemaster or other games as a player.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    I have witnessed and experienced this type of behavior when there is some sort of network traffic shaping options enabled, or a router priority IP list.
    Also, if my family is using the internet at the same time as myself during gameplay, it limits my bandwidth pool.
    Wireless connections seem to suffer the most in these scenarios usually.
    If and when players connect all at the same time this can also hang the client a bit. Are you sharing a bunch of character creation related books with the people connected to your sessions?

Best of luck!
    Regarding bandwith pool, like I mentioned earlier I have a great internet line in my opinion, 1000/1000.
    I am usually the only one using it during sessions. I however use it for other things as well. I am on discord talking to all my players, I use a stream bot to play sounds, music etc from my computer to the discord voice channel (discord bot hosted on my pc), and I might have some tabs open in google chrome. I have monitored my network traffic during sessions and it is very far form peaking near my capacity.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    The only problem with saying or suggesting it’s the net code, and I’ll disclaimer I’m no programmer (almost 30 years in IT but I’m not a programmer) , shouldn’t everyone have these issues?

Or at least vastly more people reporting this?

My 5e game has 7 players I use about 8 extensions including syrinscape. It’s honest load time is slow (2 minutes, but I mean an honest 2 minutes) .

But no freezes during sessions. Once every few sessions a player will just have a bad night and he’ll take extra long to connect and sometimes has trouble selecting things during the session. That’s the worse it has been in several month for us (of course I hope I didn’t just jinx this Fridays session lol)
    If it only affected the individual player who had the bad connection like in your case, that would be an example of net code working as expected.
    In my case it seems to only affect the server, which if it was caused by the net code would be an example of pretty bad net code.
    Also, I'm not suggesting it is the net code, I'm merely pointing out the above because several people here are suggesting solutions that indicate they think it has something to do with the networking or bandwith.

-M

Being the developer on the project, I find it very unlikely that it is net code system in general; because the net code is fairly standard serialized UDP, and one of the few spots that is definitely multi-threaded. I'm not ruling it out completely; since it could be a huge data dump from changes in the ruleset/data that floods the data->network interface.

My first theory was the graphics, as using higher than suggested graphics can cause performance slowdowns and stalls depending on the actions. However, it sounds like you've already simplified and scaled down the maps and tokens. If so, then that seems less likely, unless the LoS blockers are incredibly complex. On a related question, have you looked at the token/portrait graphic sizes at all? May not be relevant, but players can load whatever they want into a portrait. (You can check the portrait file sizes in the campaign portraits folder.)

If it's not the graphics, then my next theory is that the game engine is being stalled by complex ruleset logic. Since FG is a general purpose platform, rulesets can be written in any way by the DLC/ruleset developers. That is what I was mentioning in my prior post; and having Dakadin involved will help track that down if that's the case. Also, I can help out, if you guys are able to pinpoint or recreate the scenario to help answer questions or make suggestions on coding.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Being the developer on the project, I find it very unlikely that it is net code system in general; because the net code is fairly standard serialized UDP, and one of the few spots that is definitely multi-threaded. I'm not ruling it out completely; since it could be a huge data dump from changes in the ruleset/data that floods the data->network interface.

My first theory was the graphics, as using higher than suggested graphics can cause performance slowdowns and stalls depending on the actions. However, it sounds like you've already simplified and scaled down the maps and tokens. If so, then that seems less likely, unless the LoS blockers are incredibly complex. On a related question, have you looked at the token/portrait graphic sizes at all? May not be relevant, but players can load whatever they want into a portrait. (You can check the portrait file sizes in the campaign portraits folder.)

If it's not the graphics, then my next theory is that the game engine is being stalled by complex ruleset logic. Since FG is a general purpose platform, rulesets can be written in any way by the DLC/ruleset developers. That is what I was mentioning in my prior post; and having Dakadin involved will help track that down if that's the case. Also, I can help out, if you guys are able to pinpoint or recreate the scenario to help answer questions or make suggestions on coding.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yeah, we'll look into that this weekend. It still baffles me I seem to be the only one experiencing this, whatever the cause turns out to be. We'll try to replicate the freeze/crash scenario and gather error logs. If we can't find the source of my troubles I might end up reinstalling everything starting with windows. I already tried clearing the vault a while back.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    Yeah, we'll look into that this weekend. It still baffles me I seem to be the only one experiencing this, whatever the cause turns out to be. We'll try to replicate the freeze/crash scenario and gather error logs. If we can't find the source of my troubles I might end up reinstalling everything starting with windows. I already tried clearing the vault a while back.

-M
    Does windows lockup and blue screen or just FGU hang and it crash?
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

It might be something in the ruleset so I've made a copy of the ruleset and have been adding debug statements at the start of each of the global script functions. I will do the same for any of the Table Resolver functions. Then hopefully we can see what is happening in the console logs so I can see if it is one of my functions causing the issue. We will be working on it together later tonight for me (tomorrow morning for Moostik) to see if we can recreate what he is experiencing during his sessions. Then hopefully we can try to find a resolution for the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Does windows lockup and blue screen or just FGU hang and it crash?
    Windows have not given me any problems yet. FGU freezes and does not recover, becomes unresponsive/ not responding and i have to close it. I then always lose all changes to the campaign since last load, as in the entire session.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    Windows have not given me any problems yet. FGU freezes and does not recover, becomes unresponsive/ not responding and i have to close it. I then always lose all changes to the campaign since last load, as in the entire session.

-M
    Okay, was just curious. I had some previous experience with some issues with windows/graphics so thought it might help but as that wasn't the issue I'll continue to watch how this works out ;(
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

We didn't have any luck getting it to crash during our testing so I explained how they can compile the logs.

One weird thing that I noticed during my testing is for some reason the ruleset announcement is showing based on the ruleset version that is on the system. So on my normal PC, I was seeing the message for my development version. While on another laptop, it was showing the current version because it doesn't have a folder for the ruleset so had the current released version showing. Then my old laptop which had an old development version was showing that versions announcement message. Should it be reading that from the players PC at all? I always thought it just downloaded a copy when the player connected.

Thread Information