STAR TREK 2d20
    Blog Entries

So What's the Deal with the Extra Parentheses Around Effects in the Combat Tracker?

Attached is a screen shot. I've added some red arrows to highlight the extra parentheses I'm talking about.
    Untitled.png
    The events that occurred are:
    • The Priest cast "Fly" in herself, so the "Fly Effect" was applied to her.
    • I noticed the parentheses, so I had Thayus cast "Fly" on himself (note no parentheses)
    • Humm. Thayus cast "Bane" on the Priest, and the effect was applied (no parentheses)
    • The Priest cast "Bane" on Thayus (again no parentheses)

First note all spells are Concentration spells. And before someone points it out, yes, I'm aware a PC or NPC can only have one concentration spell in effect at a time. Originally I deleted the "Fly Effects" before casting the "Bane", with the same outcome. So I believe having two Concentration Effects in effect at the same time isn't relevant to this conversation and I combined them here for illustrative purposes.

The purposeful application of Effects in the above scenario leads me to believe the parentheses are indicators of an NPC casting a concentration type spell with an Effect on itself.

So I went a little further, another screen shot. In this one the Archmage cast the "Mage Armor" spell, a non-concentration spell, on herself, on Thayus and on the Priest. Indicators of the presence or absence of the parentheses are shown.
    Untitled1.png
    This extra information leads me to believe, the spell doesn't need to be a concentration spell. That the parentheses are indicators of a spell cast by an NPC on either itself or another NPC making them somewhat ambiguous.

Why is this info important? Or at least so important that special syntax is provided in the Combat Tracker?

Looking into the DB.xml file for the campaign, a <source_name> for the caster of the spell is provided in all cases but one, when the caster casts the spell on oneself (both PC and NPC). Meaning the DB.xml has info as to who actually cast the spell.

Again, what's the point of the parentheses?

(And if this information is documented somewhere please point me to it, I couldn't find it.)
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

I've moved this thread to the D&D 5e forum from The Tavern as I don't think this is a generic ruleset question, but more related to the 5e ruleset - which I believe is the ruleset being used?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Oops. yes thank you.

I think those are to indicate GM-visible only effects, and they would only show up in the summary on the GM CT.

JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I think those are to indicate GM-visible only effects, and they would only show up in the summary on the GM CT.
    That certainly looks like that’s it, thank you.

Thread Information