Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bug: Scale of assets on maps is not retained between sessions

I have a big bunch of assets which I can add to maps in Fantasy Grounds, which I use for map elements which may appear or be moved. For example, I have assets for magic spell effects, moveable treasure chests, etc. I place these on maps during sessions. Often I have to resize them, because when I drop an asset on a map FG fits it to the size of a cell. For instance, I may drop a "wall of fire" on the map, and then have to resize it so that it is the size that the caster wants it to be.

These assets stay on the maps between sessions, but once I have closed FG and reopen it again, the size of the asset is reset to the original size which FG gives it. This is highly annoying.

This wasn't the case for earlier versions of FG, and it seems to have been introduced in one of the recent big updates.

Can this be fixed?
    Last edited by Pieter; November 24th, 2022 at 15:16.

I'm unable to reproduce this. I unlocked a map, clicked on the layers menu and then dragged an asset into the stamp tool. Stamped it into the map, and resized. On reload the asset retains its size.

What steps am I missing to reproduce?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    If you drag the asst from the assets list to the image window, you get different behavior than if you first drag the asset to the stamp tool like Mr Z details above.

I've not played around enough to test, but I think their is a way to have assets have a default scale defined to them, but I'm not sure how to do that or if that was just a dream I had

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I have a big bunch of assets which I can add to maps in Fantasy Grounds, which I use for map elements which may appear or be moved. For example, I have assets for magic spell effects, moveable treasure chests, etc. I place these on maps during sessions. Often I have to resize them, because when I drop an asset on a map FG fits it to the size of a cell. For instance, I may drop a "wall of fire" on the map, and then have to resize it so that it is the size that the caster wants it to be.
    A bit more info on the assets please. Are they token assets or image assets you're dragging to the map?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's a token? As I've just recreated using a token asset (dragging the token asset directly to the map and then using CTRL+mousewheel to resize), whereas an image assets keeps the resized size.

Also, as mentioned by Zacchaeus, if you add a token to the stamp tool and then "stamp" it on the map, you can resize and the image keeps the size after a restart.

Summary - this definitely appears to be an issue with tokens directly placed on the map - an issue which has been mentioned elsewhere recently. Workaround, until fixed, is to use the stamp tool.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 24th, 2022 at 17:20.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, I drag the asset as a token to the map, and then resize it.

If you use the stamp tool, I don't think you can move the tokens anymore, and that is what I want to be able to do. That is why I use tokens.

If you use the stamp tool, I don't think you can move the tokens anymore, and that is what I want to be able to do. That is why I use tokens.
    You can still move and resize them - but you need to go to the layers view and unlock the "layer" if it's locked.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, yes, that is a temporary solution. It would be very annoying to switch back and forth between editing mode and playing mode just to move a spell effect around. And it is a bug, right? So I hope that it will get solved at some point.

And it is a bug, right? So I hope that it will get solved at some point.
    See the "Summary" in post #4.

If the Token: Auto Scale to Grid option is enabled, then tokens are automatically sized when added to a map based on CT link (if any) or 1 grid space. When a session is loaded, tokens are added to the maps, which triggers the standard behaviors to occur for linking and settings up tokens. There is no difference in the token add event in FG between adding a token to the map during a session vs. when a session starts. Tokens are forced into these scales in order to provide consistency of viewing, since token/map resolutions can vary drastically.

So, as long as the auto-scale to grid option is enabled, then the tokens will be scaled to the "space" value multiplier in the CT entry (or 1 if not in the combat tracker).

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If the Token: Auto Scale to Grid option is enabled, then tokens are automatically sized when added to a map based on CT link (if any) or 1 grid space. When a session is loaded, tokens are added to the maps, which triggers the standard behaviors to occur for linking and settings up tokens. There is no difference in the token add event in FG between adding a token to the map during a session vs. when a session starts. Tokens are forced into these scales in order to provide consistency of viewing, since token/map resolutions can vary drastically.

So, as long as the auto-scale to grid option is enabled, then the tokens will be scaled to the "space" value multiplier in the CT entry (or 1 if not in the combat tracker).

Regards,
    JPG
    OK, I understand that behavior, but (a) that is not how it used to work until an update or two ago, and (b) when a GM manually resizes a token then I assume that the GM expects that resizing to remain after reloading the map. You can say "then turn off auto-scale", but I usually want auto-scale when I first place a token on the map, otherwise the size of the token can be ridiculously off.

Do I interpret your statement correctly when I assume this behavior will not change?

Thread Information