STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Choice of voice chat and how to stream music...

So I'll soon be running my first online game using Fantasy Grounds. I'll probably use Discord for the voice side of things as my players all seem to have it and it's known (open to other suggestions, though!)

How do other GMs stream music to their players? Ideally I'd want to use my gaming playlists I've built in Spotify which is what I do in-person via a speaker. Don't worry - Premium member so dramatic moments in the game aren't suddenly interrupted with "Worried about your car insurance?".

I've seen that there are Spotify plugins for Discord but they basically just seem to be ways to get the players to listen along on their own Spotify apps. And if they're not Premium subscribers it doesn't work so well. Basically, what I want is a way to actually stream what I'm playing direct to the players.

How do other people do this? Playing without background music is going to be very disappointing if there's not a way.

I use an old laptop to connect to Discord with a second account and play music from the old laptop, while using FG and my main Discord account on my normal computer. Other than having to use another computer, and needing a bit more desk space for it, I like this option as it allows the players (and me) to adjust the volume of the music we're hearing based off personal preference.

I know there are some Discord plugins around, but I haven't researched those much as they usually require admin rights to the Discord server and I'm pretty happy with my additional laptop solution.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So you're just playing the music in the background and letting the mic pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by om View Post
    So you're just playing the music in the background and letting the mic pick it up?
    Nope, I'm playing it on a laptop and using the output of the player as the input to Discord on the same laptop - I'm running Discord with a second account on the laptop. Some Windows setups may allow you to do this direct via an audio device called "Stereo Mix" but if this isn't available then a mixer like Voicemeeter Banana can be used to send the output from your media player (Spotify app) to the input used in Discord. You're not using the microphone, but a direct connection within Windows between the audio application and the input to Discord.

A couple of links:
    Windows Stereo Mix: https://winbuzzer.com/2020/04/25/how...eo-mix-xcxwbt/
    Voicemeeter Banana: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Nope, I'm playing it on a laptop and using the output of the player as the input to Discord on the same laptop - I'm running Discord with a second account on the laptop. Some Windows setups may allow you to do this direct via an audio device called "Stereo Mix" but if this isn't available then a mixer like Voicemeeter Banana can be used to send the output from your media player (Spotify app) to the input used in Discord. You're not using the microphone, but a direct connection within Windows between the audio application and the input to Discord.

A couple of links:
    Windows Stereo Mix: https://winbuzzer.com/2020/04/25/how...eo-mix-xcxwbt/
    Voicemeeter Banana: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
    Ah, thanks. Yes - this sounds more like it. I have a second laptop so I can set up another Discord account and try this. Or maybe it could even work on a single device and mix my mic input and Spotify output together.

Much obliged - this will make a big difference.

i also recommend using a second instance of discord on a separate account for the music so audio levels are adjustable for each persons preference,
    i keep this second instance running in browser and i use https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm i set Spotify to output to this virtual device and then set it as the mic input on the browser version of discord.

Blog Entries
    I get a player to do it for me. That way they can do things that I just don't have time for when I'm running a game. Using OBS and virtual audio cables as needed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by om View Post
    Much obliged - this will make a big difference.
    You're welcome! I agree that once you're used to background music it's hard to play without. I play in a regular game where the GM doesn't do any background music - it's an amazing game with great role-playing, but it's not quite the same without background music; I find myself play my own background music just for me and it makes a huge difference to the game.

Just use Kenku FM if you're using Discord. Less hassle and much more functionalities
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Just use Kenku FM if you're using Discord. Less hassle and much more functionalities
    I've looked at Kenku FM a couple of times - and whereas it looks great, I don't know if it's less hassle for me. I use different Discord servers for different games, and you need the "Manage Server" permission on each Discord server I use to be able to add the Bot - despite the web page saying "The process is easy and only requires a standard Discord user account to accomplish." and I don't have that permission for most of the Discord servers I use (e.g. the Fantasy Grounds Discord server which is boost level 3 and so I can use higher bit rates than most private servers).

As I have a spare old laptop, it's super simple for me to have that on the side of my desk and connect into Discord with a second account - then use any audio app on that laptop to play music, sound effects, etc. - which come through in the second account on the Discord audio channel - allowing each player (and myself) to hear the audio and adjust the volume to suit their individual preference. I use Syrinscape, soundboards, Windows Media Player for MP3 files and playlists, etc., etc.. And because it's on a separate laptop it's not taking up any of my screen real estate on the PC running FG. I'm not saying this is the perfect solution for everyone - and it won't be suitable for a lot of people as it requires a spare laptop/computer and a bit of extra desk space.

I'm sure Kenku FM will be a great solution for people who have the right permissions on the Discord server/s they use and who don't have or want to use a second PC. Everyone's mileage may vary - it's good to have different options and to discuss the differences.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 24th, 2022 at 16:46.

Thread Information