STAR TREK 2d20

NPC / Monster books for SWADE

Hello,

I know the question of whether older Savage Worlds materials can be used with SWADE has been asked multiple times, so sorry for asking it again, but I feel that the answers have not been very clear.

I would like to create a pool of NPCs in SWADE which I can use in any campaign. SW has many setting books and each has their own NPC/monster book. Can I use them all in one campaign without issues?

Exactly how well do the older materials working in SWADE? To me the whole point of VTT is to speed up running the session thanks to automation, so if the automation is broken, I wouldn't be happy to use the materials. For example, first I was very happy to find the Savage World Monster Mod, but ended up being very disappointed as all the special rules of the monsters are just text, instead of added as functional mechanics. If I'm using NPCs from older materials, do I need to modify them all (or just some with some specific Edge for example) or lose the automation?

Thanks for the help in advance!

That module was created using an earlier version of the SWEX ruleset I believe long before all the current functionality existed hence the pure text nature of the NPCs.

In answer to your question the answer is the same as always: Yes AND No

Yes you can use them, no it will not be flawless - you will get some "issues"

Different settings have different edges and Hindrances and they will be linked to specific modules so if you may get errors when trying to open the link.
    Skills have changed between versions, though this is less of an issue with NPCs as the links are not displayed, but any SWD NPCs will not have Athletics or Common Knowledge for example.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thanks for the help!

I've understood that there are "issues", but what I'm trying to find out is how severe they are. Like in the case of the mod I linked, I would say that the issues are very severe, and I would never buy something like that. Do you Doswelk use older 'Monster Manual' in your SWADE? If yes, are all NPCs broken or only some? When something is broken, does it break the NPC or can one easily use it as is and some rule is just missed because the automation fails? Do you mix books between settings and how severe issues does that create? Wouldn't just loading the setting book fix issues like setting specific Edges, or can I only load one setting book at a time?

Can you recommend any NPC/monster books to be used in SWADE in FGU? I'm looking for any quality content at the moment. I'm about to start a campaign which can easily mix horror, fantasy, modern, even some scifi NPCs/monsters.

In short, I'm looking for peer tips on how to run SWADE in FGU in practice. What do you do?
    Last edited by Maetco; November 24th, 2022 at 09:44.

Buy the Fantasy Companion (when it is released) lots of nice monsters in there

In the meantime, I use Zadmar's website: Monster Finder (godwars2.org) find a monster, and create it in SWADE (these are SWEX monsters so need manually updating)
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    ...Can you recommend any NPC/monster books to be used in SWADE in FGU? I'm looking for any quality content at the moment. I'm about to start a campaign which can easily mix horror, fantasy, modern, even some scifi NPCs/monsters...
    I've used the Fantasy Companion and Science Fiction Companion (both were designed for SWEX/Savage Worlds Deluxe) monsters in campaigns, with minimal problems. I also own the Horror Companion DLC, but have only tested with it. That said, I've encountered minimal problems with my tests using the monsters. As Doswelk mentioned there's been some edges, hindrances, skills additions, changes and removals in SWADE, which you'll have to compensate for. There's this PDF detailing changes from SWEX to SWADE, which was created by fans, but edited by Pinnacle staff member Jodi Black. Becoming familiar with the edges, hindrances and skill changes in that PDF, might come in handy when you're looking at a SWEX monster and want to know where you'll need to compensate. A new SWADE Fantasy Companion DLC is nearing release and there'll eventually be a new SWADE SciFi Companion DLC, so if you won't be using them soon it'd be better to wait.

Thanks for the help!

So I would summarize the tips for me as:

1. Fantasy Companion is getting the SWADE update soon
    2. Use the companions, don't mix setting books
    3. If I need something in addition, create one manually and the Monster Finder is a good source for inspiration

Do you know if the Fantasy Companion is already in the works for FGU?

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    ...Do you know if the Fantasy Companion is already in the works for FGU?
    I do know the answer :P

I have "completed" the conversion (this week), it has not been checked (by me) and then has to go through QA (I've not submitted it yet)

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Thread Information