DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Some way other than PayPal to buy Forge Tokens?

PayPal recently quietly enacted a policy that allows them to fine their users $2500 for "misinformation," and appointed themselves the arbiters of what is and is not "misinformation." Their policy specifically states that they can fine you for things said off platform... so if someone were to say that the earth is flat on Facebook, PayPal could take $2500 from their account for no reason.

I don't have $2500, and I don't trust them to just decide NOT to dip into my bank account for a joke I make on Twitter, so I canceled my PayPal account.

But I would like to make a purchase from the Forge. Is there any other way to purchase Forge Tokens without using PayPal?

(I know this sounds crazy. Here's a link to a Harvard University article about it.)

https://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/...parks-backlash
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

See ddavison's response to this issue here.

TL;DR, it seems to be a misunderstanding of PayPal policies. The policy (the $2500 fee) applies to Sellers, not buyers. This is likely to protect PayPal from frausters using their service to scam buyers (think false advertising).

We only support Paypal for the payment system on our website. Maintaining and supporting multiple payment systems is not in our plans right now.

As far as I know, you can pay through Paypal using just a credit card, which wouldn't provide access to your bank accounts.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    See ddavison's response to this issue here.

TL;DR, it seems to be a misunderstanding of PayPal policies. The policy (the $2500 fee) applies to Sellers, not buyers. This is likely to protect PayPal from frausters using their service to scam buyers (think false advertising).
    I understand that there's some ambiguity. I don't make a lot of money in a year, and $2500 is just less than 10% of my annual income. If there's any doubt, I need to protect myself.

I'm sorry for seeming like a crazy conspiracy theorist. I just don't trust big tech any more than I absolutely have to.
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Quote Originally Posted by merkvah View Post
    I understand that there's some ambiguity. I don't make a lot of money in a year, and $2500 is just less than 10% of my annual income. If there's any doubt, I need to protect myself.

I'm sorry for seeming like a crazy conspiracy theorist. I just don't trust big tech any more than I absolutely have to.
    I'm not seeing any ambiguity.

Read Doug's post, and it very clearly states SELLERS in the policy, it has no effect on BUYERS.

Regardless, Doug also discussed why they are not considering switching platforms at this time. This post has a bit more follow-up as well.

Blog Entries
    If you use guest check out via PayPal, and a credit card, PayPal has not more access, ability or rights than any grocery store, gas station or online seller you give your credit card info to.

I understand the discomfort with PayPal's policy and behavior, I have it too. But I'm very comfortable using the above method anywhere, because my bank has always been very much on my side when I've ever disputed a charge.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Is guest check-out still an option? I was trying to buy some gold on the Forge and all roads seem to lead to creating a PayPal account. After selecting "Pay with a credit/debit card," you get to the credit card data page and the only three options to continue on are "Create an account and continue," "Have a PayPal account? Login" and "Cancel and return to merchant."
    Last edited by Urqy; November 27th, 2022 at 17:41.

I am having the same issue with Paypal trying to buy some tokens for the Forge. Unlike the items through the regular store, it refuses to let me buy tokens with a card. That means I will not be buying tokens, since I refuse to create a Paypal account ever again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhunt View Post
    I am having the same issue with Paypal trying to buy some tokens for the Forge. Unlike the items through the regular store, it refuses to let me buy tokens with a card. That means I will not be buying tokens, since I refuse to create a Paypal account ever again.
    I think I found out where this setting is and I enabled Credit Card payments. Can you try it again now and let me know if that works?

Afraid not, I am still getting the same form when I enter my data.

paypal form.png

Thread Information