DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Okay,

So, I went to Settings>Troubleshooting and used the clear settings button. Confirmed and restarted the app. Logged in again using same credentials and got the same crash.

Next I went to HDD\Library\Preferences and just deleted the smite works directory there. Reinstalled the app from web download, patched, and got the same crash.

Other thoughts?

I doubt changing your FG username/password will help with a crash. I'm confused as to what point you're at - in post #8 you say there was a scenario where it worked OK? Can you expand on what got it working in post #8?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I doubt changing your FG username/password will help with a crash. I'm confused as to what point you're at - in post #8 you say there was a scenario where it worked OK? Can you expand on what got it working in post #8?
    Yeah, it works when I log into the Mac as a different user, but when I log in as my normal user I get the crash every time, even after the above mitigation attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lell View Post
    Yeah, it works when I log into the Mac as a different user, but when I log in as my normal user I get the crash every time, even after the above mitigation attempts.
    Compare the access rights of the two users to /Applications/SmiteWorks (and sub directories and files) and also compare the data directories /Users/yourusername/SmiteWorks/FantasyGrounds
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Compare the access rights of the two users to /Applications/SmiteWorks (and sub directories and files) and also compare the data directories /Users/yourusername/SmiteWorks/FantasyGrounds
    The user account that is producing the crash is an admin on the computer, while the account that seems to be able to run it is not (in fact, that account can't even patch the game as it doesn't have write access to the folder the game is in).

I'm confused about what I should be 'comparing' in the data directories. I have deleted that directory multiple times in troubleshooting this, and I am using a demo version of the game on this computer so there are no purchases, no custom settings, no additional content, nothing but the base game as-delivered by the FGU patcher.

For what it's worth, I run FGU on both a PC and an M1 Mac. After the last major update, I had this crashing issue on my Mac as well. The only way I could fix it was to completely uninstall and reinstall the client from scratch. I have had this happen before on my M1 as well.

If you haven't already done so, try that. You don't lose your data. You will probably have to nuke the install folder completely, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    For what it's worth, I run FGU on both a PC and an M1 Mac. After the last major update, I had this crashing issue on my Mac as well. The only way I could fix it was to completely uninstall and reinstall the client from scratch. I have had this happen before on my M1 as well.

If you haven't already done so, try that. You don't lose your data. You will probably have to nuke the install folder completely, though.

It has been an occasional occurrence where the game would patch and then not be able to open.
    On those occasions, deleting the game files and re-running the patcher to re-acquire them has always fixed the problem.

In tis case, that has not rectified the issue.

As mentioned previously in this thread, I have completely removed and reinstalled the game from the web download installer multiple times, and the issue persists.

The game was running fine on this machine, on this user account, one day, and the next day this problem cropped up and has persisted since.

To summarize this thread up to this point:
    I've removed game files (both those in the applications folder AND those in the user folder, both separately, and together) and re-patced to replace them multiple times.
    I've removed the entire game and re-installed it from the web installer multiple times.
    I've cleared the settings from the patcher 'troubleshooting' tab.
    I've deleted the SmiteWorks folder from the preferences folder in the library directory.
    I've disabled disk protection, uninstalled and reinstalled the game.

The game seems to run fine on the same machine, on a different user profile/account using the same FG user account that does NOT work on the main user profile/account on the same machine.

I am running the same version of FGU on a second M1 Mac mini just fine. It runs on my intel-based MacBook Pro, and on multiple intel-based windows machines in the household. Additionally, it is running fine on all the windows boxes, and another M1 based MacBook Air that players bring to the table.

It is literally only this user profile, on this specific M1 Mac that is having this issue.
    It was running fine on Monday, then on Tuesday I updated the OS and FGU and it stopped working.
    I updated the other M1 Mac mini in the room to the SAME OS update and the SAME FGU update at the SAME time, and that machine runs it just fine.

If it works for one user but not for another then it's more than likely user file access rights that are causing the issue.

FG uses two directory structures - one for the application files: /Applications/SmiteWorks and one for the data (campaigns, modules, extensions, rulesets, etc.): /Users/yourusername/SmiteWorks/FantasyGrounds

This is checking at the operating system file level and comparing the access rights of the two different users to the files/directories in these two areas that FG uses might help point towards what is causing the issue. Some information on checking file permissions here: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/0...rmissions-mac/ You may find it easier to type ls -l from a terminal while within the relevant directories to see a list of the permissions for all files.

You might also wish to try creating another admin user and seeing if that works OK, or not.

If it works for one user but not for another then it's more than likely user file access rights that are causing the issue.

FG uses two directory structures - one for the application files: /Applications/SmiteWorks and one for the data (campaigns, modules, extensions, rulesets, etc.): /Users/yourusername/SmiteWorks/FantasyGrounds

This is checking at the operating system file level and comparing the access rights of the two different users to the files/directories in these two areas that FG uses might help point towards what is causing the issue. Some information on checking file permissions here: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/0...rmissions-mac/ You may find it easier to type ls -l from a terminal while within the relevant directories to see a list of the permissions for all files.

You might also wish to try creating another admin user and seeing if that works OK, or not.
    Okay....

While I am a little confused about how the user account could have any permissions MORE conducive to an app running than an admin account, AND the fact that I've already stated that I can't even run the updater/patcher while logged in as the user because it doesn't have write access to the applications folder, I have checked as suggested.

The file permissions within the data directory for each user appear to be identical, while the permissions within the app directory are read only for the user that CAN run the app and read/write for the admin user that CAN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lell View Post
    While I am a little confused about how the user account could have any permissions MORE conducive to an app running than an admin account, AND the fact that I've already stated that I can't even run the updater/patcher while logged in as the user because it doesn't have write access to the applications folder, I have checked as suggested.

The file permissions within the data directory for each user appear to be identical, while the permissions within the app directory are read only for the user that CAN run the app and read/write for the admin user that CAN'T.
    Rights can get changed - even for an admin user, so it's still worth checking just to be 100% sure that there's no specific differences. So thanks for checking.

Have you tried creating another admin user and seeing if that works OK?

Thread Information