STAR TREK 2d20

Best Practices for Sharing NPC Information with Players

Hi all,

I did some searching and couldn't find the answer to this so if I just missed it, a link would be appreciated!

I need some help/advice in how to present NPC's to players via FG. I'm starting up a new campaign soon and am using FGU for the first time. I used Roll20 in the past and am used to their Journal/Notes system which I used extensively to create "Journal Entries" for major NPC's for players. This gave them a place to store their notes about each person plus a cozy spot for the NPC's picture. NPC's are usually really important to my story so I wanted to give them an intuitive way to keep track of this information. I put a screenshot below of what I did in Roll20.

Capture2.PNG

I can't find a similar function in FGU - NPC objects seem to be mainly for the DM, and any notetaking is limited to the "Notes" objects but those are mostly exclusive to individual players.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they've tackled this in the past? Maybe an Extension? If it comes down to it, I can have information in an external app or even use Roll20 in tandem with FG, but it'd be nice to keep things localized to just FG.

Thanks! (:

Blog Entries
    In general, what I do is create a story and share it with the players, but then they can't edit it themselves (w/o an extension).

I think there are a few extensions that handle this, but I can't recall their names. I though it was Damned Player Agency, but the description doesn't seem to match. Fantasy Grounds Forge
    My next thought was Mad Nomad's Player Journal 2, but I'mnot sure that would work either, but take a look and see what you think. Fantasy Grounds Forge

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The Player Agency extension does indeed, do what you want. It's mainly aimed at organizations and places but you can adapt it for NPCs. If you want to embed an image then the only way to do that would be via a reference page. You can also just use Story entries with links to images. Or you can just share the NPC record itself. The notes section can contain anything you want again with links to images etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks all, I'll see what I can do!

Glad I stopped by this thread, those both look like great extensions I didn't know about, thanks Lord Entrails and Zacchaeus! And thanks for asking ImpulseC.
    My Youtube Channel for Tech and Gaming Tutorials
    Discord Bot for Syrinscape with Kenku Tutorial
    My Website location

Thread Information