STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 12 First 12345 ... Last
    Is there any way to flip over facedown cards that have been placed on a map? Alternatively, is it possible to deal cards to players facedown and have them still be unable to see the card until they play it? I am trying out a 5e homebrew rule that involves replacing inspiration with randomly drawn cards (stolen from XP to level 3). I could just have them draw a card when they want to use inspiration, but having a card on the battle map or in their hand serves as a visual reminder that they have inspiration at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigat0r View Post
    Is there any way to flip over facedown cards that have been placed on a map? Alternatively, is it possible to deal cards to players facedown and have them still be unable to see the card until they play it? I am trying out a 5e homebrew rule that involves replacing inspiration with randomly drawn cards (stolen from XP to level 3). I could just have them draw a card when they want to use inspiration, but having a card on the battle map or in their hand serves as a visual reminder that they have inspiration at their disposal.
    Both of those things are on my radar to add.

Flipping card tokens on a map is very complex, and is inherently limited because extension devs don't have full access to images or tokens. Specifically we can't add radial menu options to tokens, so there would need to be a button on the image toolbar to flip selected tokens. There's a few more complications that would need to be worked out for this to happen. Currently this isn't planned, though I would like to get to it someday.

Dealing cards to players facedown and having them remain facedown in the hand is the easier of the two to accomplish, and will likely be in then next minor version update (v1.1.0). With this there will be a new deck setting for dealing cards face down, as well as a game setting for who is allowed to flip cards in a player's hand.

Great! I'm looking forward to it

Update to v1.1.0

New Feature - Dealing Face Down Cards

Cards can now be dealt to hands face down, and the card will remain face down and hidden in the recipient's hand. By default the only way for players to flip a card face up is by playing the card. The GM can flip and peek at cards in players' (or their own) hand. There are new game and deck settings to customize this behavior to your needs.

Full docs with examples of this feature can be found on the wiki

As always, let me know if you run into any issues. When reporting problems, it would be especially helpful to have a screenshot (or typed list) of your deck and game settings, so that I can match them when debugging. There's a lot of permutations of different settings, and it's likely that an issue you face will only exist with your specific settings
    Last edited by Saagael; November 20th, 2022 at 00:49.

Thank you for this… is there a way for players to keep a card, discard the rest of their hand, and then shuffle the deck? I might be missing how to make this happen…
    Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    Update to v1.1.0

New Feature - Dealing Face Down Cards

Cards can now be dealt to hands face down, and the card will remain face down and hidden in the recipient's hand. By default the only way for players to flip a card face up is by playing the card. The GM can flip and peek at cards in players' (or their own) hand. There are new game and deck settings to customize this behavior to your needs.

Full docs with examples of this feature can be found on the wiki

As always, let me know if you run into any issues. When reporting problems, it would be especially helpful to have a screenshot (or typed list) of your deck and game settings, so that I can match them when debugging. There's a lot of permutations of different settings, and it's likely that an issue you face will only exist with your specific settings

Quote Originally Posted by macDsinfo View Post
    Thank you for this… is there a way for players to keep a card, discard the rest of their hand, and then shuffle the deck? I might be missing how to make this happen…
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the way you'd do that is have the player discard all the cards in their hand except the one they want to keep, then the GM can click the "reshuffle discard pile back into deck" button in the deckbox.

One thing to note though: 'shuffling' the deck just means adding the cards back to the deck. Cards are randomly picked from the deck when they're grabbed or dealt, and don't exist in the deck in a pre-determined order that can be shuffled. So if you want to 'shuffle' individual cards back into the deck, just drop them on the deck's card back in the deck box and it'll move that card back to the deck.

It would be great if this extension could be integrated into Savage Worlds and replace it’s current card setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown View Post
    It would be great if this extension could be integrated into Savage Worlds and replace it’s current card setup.
    I know nothing about Savage Worlds, nor do I own the ruleset, but if there are any specific features or mechanics that I can put in Decked Out to make the experience better I'd be happy to add those. I'm also cool to work with the ruleset dev if they want to integrate the extension into the system, but you'd have to talk to the ruleset dev about that.

that is great. thanks for the clarification.

how big can we make the tokens?

Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the way you'd do that is have the player discard all the cards in their hand except the one they want to keep, then the GM can click the "reshuffle discard pile back into deck" button in the deckbox.

One thing to note though: 'shuffling' the deck just means adding the cards back to the deck. Cards are randomly picked from the deck when they're grabbed or dealt, and don't exist in the deck in a pre-determined order that can be shuffled. So if you want to 'shuffle' individual cards back into the deck, just drop them on the deck's card back in the deck box and it'll move that card back to the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by macDsinfo View Post
    that is great. thanks for the clarification.

how big can we make the tokens?
    As big as you want. You can use ctrl+scroll to scale the tokens up or down. If you're going to make a map that's specifically for cards to be on then I recommend you make the grid size 150 x 210 or 180 x 252. so that it fits the tokens nicely.

Thread Information