STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    The initial videos if I recall showed walls as boxes.Jason
    Can you expand on what you mean by this?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hoQzjBcZE4

Originally, the suggested LoS creation was a box/rect. This is prone to line overlap.

Jason

Ok, I think I get it. You mean that for a big thick wall you'd draw all the way around it rather than draw a single line down the middle? If so I'd still draw the occluders like that now except that I'd place them further into the wall rather than parallel to the edge. If the wall is very thin then I'd draw a single line since drawing around a thin wall isn't necessary. I'm not sure what line overlap means really. If I draw a line around a wall and it joins the start to the finish there's no overlap. Overlap would only occur if I drew a line across another line. I think I may still be misunderstanding the issue here since I've not really had any problems with LoS.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Ok, I think I get it. You mean that for a big thick wall you'd draw all the way around it rather than draw a single line down the middle? If so I'd still draw the occluders like that now except that I'd place them further into the wall rather than parallel to the edge. If the wall is very thin then I'd draw a single line since drawing around a thin wall isn't necessary. I'm not sure what line overlap means really. If I draw a line around a wall and it joins the start to the finish there's no overlap. Overlap would only occur if I drew a line across another line. I think I may still be misunderstanding the issue here since I've not really had any problems with LoS.
    No worries. I've submitted my test cases before and I have hopes they will be fixed with the new LoS engine.
    Jason

Obviously, I made the post. So it's important to my enjoyment.
    Putting the /lospeek command into live action would be a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    We often debate internally on how high of a priority certain things are. I think it is a pretty high priority and the peek through was part of the original design that led to the LOS being created on maps for products. When I bring it up internally, though, Moon Wizard points out that it has been this way for over a year and we only have a handful of people that even seemed to notice or complain about it. That makes it hard for me to justify pulling people off of other projects to address it.
    I seem to remember when LoS first came out, quite a few of us mentioned the "black walls" when the line was placed on the wall instead of resessed within the wall. None of us new that peek through was even a possibility. I think we don't mention/complain any more because we have discussed it already and we all just redraw the maps now or live with what we have. If you need a vote to implement the peek through, my hand is up.

I'm definitely in support of being able to set custom peek through on a per map basis! I think that would be a very good QoL improvement

The reason I never spoke up was I didn't know. I always GM, so I always see all the walls.
    Then one day a couple months ago in a huge dungeon (in Agents of Edgewatch), my players started throwing a fit about it, saying that everything looked the same and they couldn't tell a wall from a pit in the ground.

I also strongly support either allowing the peek options, or updating the standards so more of the walls show.
    At the risk of going beyond the thread topic, I frequently find that I need to modify the preset LoS on purchased products, either for aesthetic reasons or to decrease lag. One thing I have found is the biggest contributor to lag is overly occluded maps, especially things like bars or columns. I usually end up having to delete the occluders in those areas. However, for things like bars, if I have time I will replace them with "windows", to block movement but not affect LoS and processing. I suggest this be considered as an alternative.

+1 for the players to always be able to see the actual wall art and not just black, however that is best implemented.

Cheers,

Simon

Thread Information