STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Need Help Learning PF2E as I transition from 5E

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but it's the closest I could find. I've been playing D&D 5E for a couple of years now, but due to .... circumstances ... I would like to transition over to Pathfinder 2E, but I have NO idea where to start, or what books I need (other than the obvious Core Rule Book). I'd love to have someone with experience as a guide as I try to learn this new TTRPG system. I do not have a game shop in my town (yes, it's THAT small of a town) - so going to a shop to learn is not possible. I do have a standard license on FGU and Discord.

Thank you all in advance and may the dice always fall in your favor.

((Mods, please delete if necessary, or move to the appropriate forum thread. Thanks!))

Quote Originally Posted by Zynara Silverfall View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to post, but it's the closest I could find. I've been playing D&D 5E for a couple of years now, but due to .... circumstances ... I would like to transition over to Pathfinder 2E, but I have NO idea where to start, or what books I need (other than the obvious Core Rule Book). I'd love to have someone with experience as a guide as I try to learn this new TTRPG system. I do not have a game shop in my town (yes, it's THAT small of a town) - so going to a shop to learn is not possible. I do have a standard license on FGU and Discord.

Thank you all in advance and may the dice always fall in your favor.

((Mods, please delete if necessary, or move to the appropriate forum thread. Thanks!))
    Hi there. I have sent you a private message regarding this post.

You can probably start with some of the stickied posts above such as the video library one and any of the videos that Trenloe has produced to demonstrate the things that the ruleset can do (like character creation). More in depth stuff is covered in the automation and bestiary spreadsheet and wiki entries which are also linked in the stickies.

As you say the Core Rulebook is the best starting book and the adventure Extinction Curse is the 'tutorial' adventure which came out at the same time as the core rules were released . (Actually I think it came out before the core rules).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The Beginner Box is worth a look - it introduces the main concepts of Pathfinder Second Edition very well.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Paizo has all their rules and a ton of content for FREE at https://2e.aonprd.com/ (Archives of Nethys). Bookmark it and check it out!

I second the Beginner Box.

Or the short adventure The Fall of Plaguestone which guides you through the different mechanics.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

I would recommend also watching some YouTube videos on how to play. It will likely get you to where you want to be quicker as it provides another way (other than just reading) to learn the Pathfinder 2e system. There are lots of them out there and I cannot necessarily recommend one vs. another.

Here are a couple that seem to be decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1HIWyv8DI
    (This one seems to be a longer one-shot summary of the game for those who played 5E, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zuDkTfbd8k21Km
    (This doesn't seem to be formatted in an intro to advanced list necessarily but goes over specific topics of the game. This seems to cover a lot of topics and is probably best for learning all the intricacies of the game)

There are others but these two might give you a place to start.
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

I am an experienced Gm who is new to the system too. I am starting an Age of Ashes Campaign and players new to the system are welcome and encourage to apply. I figure the best way to learn the system is to just jump in and start playing. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...5PM-Central-US
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king

You're in the right place. And welcome =)
    This is one of the best online communities I've experienced. Everyone here is super helpful and glad to share knowledge and experience.
    PF2 has some great beginner stuff. The beginner set is very good.
    Also, keep in mind that any PDF you buy from Paizo comes off as a discount from your FG products. Likewise, any FG product you buy that has a Paizo origin gives you a free PDF download of the book on the Paizo site. Just go the Store link up top and link your FG and Paizo purchases.
    We're excited to have you join the boards.

Would you mind sending me the same info?

Thread Information