STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Occluding on purchased modules

I love being able to purchase the pre-made adventures and save myself tons of time.
    My question is.. on the occluding that's done, is it possible for the people doing the work to move the markers in just slightly? So that the players can see an edge of a wall, and know better what the room looks like.
    I've run into instances where they're in a circular hallway, and it looks like a big black pit in the center.
    It'd be cool if the markers were just barely moved back so they could see the texture of the wall or building.
    If that's too much work, I understand. Just wondering, is all.

Definitely second this, at least for adventures going forward.

Agreed, I usually find myself having to go through the maps and move a lot of the LOS boxes so that the players can see what's going on.

Agreed. It's much more important that players have a better sense of the space they're in then preventing them from seeing around a corner a little too far.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Agreed, going forward having the occluders ever so slightly further back from the walls so the players can see the map art of the space they're in would be a nice change.

I read somewhere that FG already has a function where occluding walls can be "looked into" for a few pixels, maybe it could be a general FG setting (or a per-map option) that increases this by a variable amount up to a square or so.

Blog Entries
    There is supposed to be a peek through that shows the wall beyond the edge up to a certain distance. What is the map example you recently saw and we can look at the peek through setting to see if we can adjust it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Montis View Post
    I read somewhere that FG already has a function where occluding walls can be "looked into" for a few pixels, maybe it could be a general FG setting (or a per-map option) that increases this by a variable amount up to a square or so.
    That is correct; it's about 5% of the pixels per grid - so if your grid is 50px then the peek through would be about 2.5px. See video thirty one here where I discuss this in some detail https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity

The issue, sometimes anyway, is that if the wall is drawn in black then the wall is going to be black no matter how much peak through there is. Coloured walls on the other hand should have some peak through.

I cannot speak for other developers on this but in the last couple of modules that I've developed I have been putting the occluders much further back from the wall edges so that players can see that there is definitely a wall. In some ways I did this as an experiment to see what, if any, reaction this had. So far there's been none at all (either positive or negative). The official guidelines (which were drawn up at the time when LoS was first introduced) was to draw the occluders right up against the wall. And indeed in almost every case to draw an occluder on each side of the wall as well.

This isn't the first post on this matter, and indeed it does come up fairly often. So maybe it is time for the guidelines to be loosened a little or as Doug says above to increase the peak through.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    John, Carl, and I are discussing it now. the LOS peek-through got turned back to 0 pixels back in February because of some issues that had bubbled up with it. We meant to revisit it for a further discussion, but that didn't happen.

Cool. I appreciate the responses, you guys. This came up in the catacombs in book 2 of Agents of Edgewatch (PF2e), and my players were grumbling about it in our Discord voice chat, that all they saw was blackness. And they never knew whether it was a wall or a pit until I described the room.

Thanks for looking into it =)

Thread Information