DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 13 First ... 910111213 Last
    Yea, I can understand how that would cause complications from a coding stand point. TBH, not knowing what's "under the hood", I assumed Attack would be one action all together. Would just having 1 default dice for attack be enough? (Regardless of the attack type) Again, cosmetically it would be nice to separate the 2 default dice types. Separate damage dice make more sense, given all their variations, and I do love how they been implemented. Well done!

I figured there was more to it. Didn't hurt to ask and inquire

Thanks for the reply Moon! Cheers!

EDIT: Ok, I do see that separate damage types were added to (piercing/slashing/etc.) and that does help satisfy my original thinking. But after looking at it again, it would be nice if attack still had its own dice that isn't shared with everything else (ex. Ability/Saving/Skills/Initiative/etc. rolls). I guess that was what really furthered my question, along with the damage dice. Again, if that is asking to "open a can worms", no biggie lol.
    Last edited by sinprime; December 1st, 2022 at 18:28.
    Twitch | Twitter | YouTube
    DM | FGU Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    1. Financial Reasons. One of those is unquestionably because we think it will generate more revenue this way. More revenue means that we get a better return on our investment for the development cycles we spent on it and that development cycle involved multiple developers and our staff artist, Joshua Watmough. Our investment was fairly substantial for this project.

By spreading this across all users and not just GMs, we expect it will make more revenue for the company. This also means we can lower the price to a price point that we believe is very low at $5 / pack.
    I think the price point is very nice, and accessible to most.

2. Personalization. We think dice are a personal expression thing around the table and we think they should be this way online as well. While some people will want to collect them all, we expect to release more of these over time and we don't think everyone will feel the need to collect them all. We want to have lots of options for people and as they expand, there will be more and more personal decisions available that will fit better with the personalization aspect of the dice.
    It is a very personal thing. I think NOT allowing everyone to see what you have would have been very poor design...I'm glad you set it up so that everyone can see what we have

3. Users who don't purchase dice packs
    We included a full set of elemental basics dice for all users without requiring any purchase. This will allow people to use custom dice and to use the stuff in our sneak peek and see different dice for different damage types without requiring any additional purchases. It directly competes with our other dice packs, but it felt important to provide something for everyone.
    Classy move, bravo

4. Gifting
    We modified the gifting system to allow these to be gifted to individual users. You can buy a pack on an order and then gift the entire order to another user. This means that players can gift a set to their GM and vice-versa, or player to player. Just remember that the entire order has to be gifted at once. Again, the $5 price point was a key consideration here. We think that a $5 gift is a nice thing that hopefully won't break the bank for most people.
    Only way to go...it allows entry for those that can't/won't spend the money on themselves... smart move
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I thought about attack dice roll customization a bit, but there is no clear indication of how to specify what dice to use for attacks. Damage actions (in the D&D/Paizo rulesets) have a clearly defined damage type that can be used to customize the dice. Attack actions are defined separately than damage actions (and can't always be clearly linked; i.e. weapons are easy, but spells/abilities can have multiple attack/damage entries that aren't linked). Also, damage actions can be mixed damage types (which can be handled per die on damage rolls).

Just using the attack action data (without knowing damage data or having to deal with multiple damage types), how would you specify different custom attack actions automatically? (i.e. melee/ranged/thrown? other?)

Regards,
    JPG
    Being able to assign the dice on an advanced window of the action/weapon definition perhaps? I'd love, for example, to be able to assign special dice for Sneak Attack damage
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but are there any plans to allow users to make their own custom skins (and share those with their players?) Or to add custom skins with specific rulesets?

The latter would be amazing. There are rulesets out there that use custom dice (Genesys and One Ring come to mind.)

While there aren't "official" rulesets of these available for FG, there is a well-made Genesys ruleset. If custom skins could be made and included there for the Genesys dice, that would be a game changer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but are there any plans to allow users to make their own custom skins (and share those with their players?) Or to add custom skins with specific rulesets?

The latter would be amazing. There are rulesets out there that use custom dice (Genesys and One Ring come to mind.)

While there aren't "official" rulesets of these available for FG, there is a well-made Genesys ruleset. If custom skins could be made and included there for the Genesys dice, that would be a game changer.
    Earlier response to this question (from Doug?) was ~ 'Not at this time.'

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Earlier response to this question (from Doug?) was ~ 'Not at this time.'
    Darn! Well, as long as it’s on their radar! Would be excellent to have

Here's a response I gave to someone who asked privately that is relevant:

Currently, the dice system is built specifically to "skin" the current set of standard RPG dice (d100/d01, d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, d4, dF). There is no mechanism to "add" to the possible dice models/faces to roll at this time, only to adjust skins on existing standard dice.

We've actually discussed the ability to build out the ability to have alternate dice models/faces for certain dice types (such as 2d20 challenge dice, Alien/Vaesen, etc.). However, it requires planning the feature from beginning to end as to how models/faces are built in the client for custom dice, how new custom dice can be skinned (or not), as well as how they are defined and accessed via the ruleset. At this point, it's on our list of things we'd like to look at, but hasn't been scheduled yet.

Regards,
    JPG

Does this mean that we can expect campaign specific dice skins? That would be so amazing. Playing the new Kingmaker with Kingmaker dice set!

That's something else we have talked about (campaign/adventure specific dice skins). However, that does get into publisher third party discussions to make them official.....

Regards,
    JPG

Still fairly new to FG, but I was wondering if there's a way to use the /roll expressions with the Dice Tower. I've tried typing the /roll formula I want into the chat & even into a shortcut (Function keys) at the bottom, then dragging them to the tower, but this doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Thread Information