STAR TREK 2d20

new to CoC, need help

Hi all!

One of my players got all of us into the idea of playing CoC, and me being the forever-DM I am got into investigating immediately.

After checking some books out, I ran into an issue here in FG.

Should I get the 7E Ruleset? Or the other, generic CoC ruleset?

I've seen people complaining heavily about the 7E ruleset, nobody complaining about the generic CoC ruleset, and from what I understand there's cross-playability between editions right?
    Afaik 7E moves to 1d100, instead of 1d20, but that wouldn't be an issue for us, since we have no idea how to play anyways.

I've always had the idea that the setting and ambience is the key when running CoC, and would love to make that experience all the better by choosing the right ruleset!

Any tips and opinions appreciated!

Blog Entries
    CoC is for version 6.
    CoC7E is for version 7.

Either way if you buy from the FG Store you can try for 30 days and if you dont like it you can refund it.

Welcome to the FG forums Soulcreek!

Get the 7E ruleset- that's backwards compatible with the CoC 6E stuff, but not vice versa. You're seeing more complaints about the 7E ruleset because that is more recent and also the one that most people will be using. The main difference from a base ability standpoint between CoC 7e and 6e is that the ability scores moved from being 3-18 based (roughly) to being percentile based (x5) as all CoC checks are percentile based it made sense; d20 is rarely used in any Chaosium version of Call of Cthulhu (the short lived 2001 d20 version by WotC not included) - except for large sanity losses!
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 15th, 2022 at 19:56.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I never played 6e. I have 7e, though, and I love it. It's such a simple, easy ruleset to use, and the Fantasy Grounds version is fantastic!

Thread Information