DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Looking for idea on how to make overland hex maps for hex exploration

I am working on a project that includes overland hex exploration ...
    and have a web based app that lets me "clear" fog of war, one hex at a time.

Is there any equivalent method existing within FGU currently ?

i.e. Creating a hex map part was simple.

The confusion is how to track "which hexes they explored" (cleared fog of war).

I added an image to demonstrate what I am hoping to re-create "inside FGU".
    Basically, players can see into the adjacent hexes (like dim light)
    and see fully in the hex they are in (like bright light)
    and rest of the map is covered by fog of war.

As they move, it clears more of the map .. on hex at a time.
    and they will need to add counters to track changes to their kingdom, etc.

Kingmaker SPOILERS!
    kmv2-nation-start-month3.png

So maybe it can be simulated with lighting somehow ?
    or if not, maybe masking of some sort?

or will I need to look into coding an "extension" that adds the functionality ?
    (if that's even possible)

Any suggestions on what might work are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 8th, 2023 at 08:09. Reason: Added spoilers note

You could use lighting on a party token. You could use the manual mask to remove as the PCs explore. You could use tokens to hide what's underneath (as shown in the thread damned links). All of these can be done in FG without the need for an extension.

EDIT: I've moved this to the Tavern forum as this is a general discussion about Fantasy Grounds use.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Here's another thread with decent discussions on the topic. Hexploration (fantasygrounds.com)

In summary, their are three ways to do this that I can think of:
    1) Using lightning (vision effect on party token with party vision) to track this. I don't think it will reveal exactly per hex boundaries, but might be close enough for you.
    2) Use manual mask, but this alone want track what has been travelled through versus what has been seen. So if that is important, add a dot or pen mark to indicate those travelled through, or combine with method 1.
    3) build the map in FGU and put each hex on it's own layer and then hide/show layers as appropriate. Same caveats as method 2.
    edit: 4) use tokens or images to hide hex parts of the map and remove those as needed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Some options:

Define a very small grid, maybe 2 to 5 pixels, and mark it invisible. Enable FG's lighting. Shrink whatever token the PCs are using, you drag it around. Adjust as desired. You could add terrain blockers on the hills and mountains.

Make a grid of hex-shaped terrain blockers, or single line terrain blockers that make up hexagons. It's a royal pain to get them all to line up. I just tried two hexes and had problems getting the snap to work the way I wanted. If they're on a different layer from the image, you might be able to replace the image and reuse them.

In FGClassic, I used a mask and just scribbled out chunks. FGU has this, but erases in rectangles.

FG does not save the "what the PCs have seen" masks across module reverts. In FGC I used to back them up and reinstall them, but I haven't looked at how FGU does it.

Quote Originally Posted by TVDinner View Post
    In FGClassic, I used a mask and just scribbled out chunks. FGU has this, but erases in rectangles.
    Just like in FG Classic, FG Unity has freeform mask reveal using the ALT key. Some info here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...lobal-LOS-Mask
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by TVDinner View Post
    Make a grid of hex-shaped terrain blockers, or single line terrain blockers that make up hexagons. It's a royal pain to get them all to line up. I just tried two hexes and had problems getting the snap to work the way I wanted.
    At the bottom of the line of sight panel is an option for "Grid Snap" - you can use this to add the blockers pretty quickly. I'd also recommend using the illusionary wall rather than the terrain blockers - this way you can just follow the line either horizontally or vertically and then add the cross links, rather than having to draw each hexagon individually.

thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for any spoilers with my original screen shot!

Thread Information