5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    @LordEntrails

Maps are fine, just enemy and npc tokens are missing. Just changed the theme and disabled all the extensions. Again, nothing happens. Check it out:

test3.jpg

@arturem,

I think that was the confusion, we were looking at the maps/images, and you were looking at the tokens. I'll take a look first thing tomorrow morning.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for your patience, and helping us figure this out. I was able to figure out the problem, and push a late night update.

Please run a new Check for Updates at the launch screen, and try again.

Regards,
    JPG

@Moon Wizard

It's working fine right now. Thanks for all the help and the attention.

Cheers!

From the notes of the 27 September update: "In order for some of the updates to be visible, you may need to open the Module Activation window from Library->Activation, right click on the module and select "revert changes". Be warned, any edits you've made will be lost."

Can I say that I find it BLOODY RIDICULOUS that the development team makes an update for which they KNOW that it will break many games in progress, and then require you to read the update notes which you can find here on the forums in order to learn that the issues you experience are NOT your fault and are NOT your computer's fault and are NOT caused by a glitch in the download process, and that you can fix them by jumping through a hoop that the developers built into the game engine. Which makes me wonder why (1) this change was made, (2) the issue is not communicated FAR more clearly, and (3) the fix is not run automatically if it can be easily seen that it needs to be applied.

It took my 45 minutes to find this solution, with my whole play group waiting on me. My game time is precious. This kind of thing should NOT happen.
    Last edited by Pieter; September 29th, 2022 at 22:44.

Yes, sorry about that.

The two modules were created in Classic and it was time to move them to Unity. However that does cause some issues for games currently running using those modules since the way images are handled in Unity is different from the way they were handled in Classic. There isn't a way to fix this kind of issue since it's on your local machine and not something that can be done by Smiteworks.

It's also difficult to communicate it any other way than via the forums and unfortunately not everyone reads them.

I agree it should not happen but moving the modules over to Unity does make sense for the future.

Again, sorry for the disruption but glad you found the solution.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I totally agree with Pieter. I do this for a living as a paid DM and finding this out and scrambling to find a fix before my game starts was quite unnerving. I run 9 games a week. Its bad enough that fantasy grounds updates every week, most of the time not breaking anything. But those of us who run extensions, when some of those updates breaks some extension and I'm once again scrambling to find which extensions are broken and having to disable them once I find them is frustration enough.

You guys are great! Love how quickly you respond to issues! Keep up the good work! Been using Fantasy Grounds for almost 5 years and I couldn't be happier with the product and customer service!

Thank you for the reply. It is appreciated.

I wish to cast some doubt on the statement that there wasn't a way to fix the issue since it is local. I can think of many ways. Have a Unity version of the module next to a Legacy version. Build in an extra check next to error on loading images which falls back on the old version of the image loading. Have a popup when this error is noticed that says: "A recent update to this module needs to load images in a different way, do you want to revert to the old way of loading the images (if you don't, some images will not be visible) Yes/No". Or spend some time and create a conversion program that makes sure that games in progress are fixed automatically and run that conversion automatically.

I also wish to cast doubt on the statement that no better way of communication is possible than via the forum. A simply popup at the start or end of the update process would have helped. Also, put these things in the newsletter that I receive pretty much every week. Or put something on the screen when you start Fantasy Grounds.

Seriously, this is an embarrassing thing to happen. You can count on EVERY GM who is in a legacy module to run into it. Please make sure that in the future you do not confront the customers with such issues without very clear communication about it. And you may even have some extra communication about it right now, because I am pretty sure that many of the FGU users run into this and get as frustrated as I am about it.

Blog Entries
    Communicating to the any user base is always a challenging process. I have yet to see any program or company do it effectively for all users. Yes, communication for FG can be improved upon, but there is not yet a solution that works for everyone.

But even more important than any given notification of change, is the warning that is placed with every set of release notes and is stated frequently on the forums and is otherwise just good practice; Please do not update right before a game session.

Even with testing, even the most simple of updates has the potential to break something. And if you use extensions, the risk is order of magnitudes higher. Please don't put yourself in a frustrating position by updating right before game play.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information