Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Assets Window Frustrations

Is there any possible way to remember the STATE of my assets window preference... the zoom level, the thumbnail view... so I can maximize my viewing space and more easily read the folders?
    I've overcome many of the u.i. quirks, but this is one that really bothers me.
    I'd like to get a birds eye view of my content without having to go through paging, or trying to reading the partial text under bags (hence I use thumbnail).
    Every-time i re-open, there it is again in grid view, with the default zoom level.
    IF there is a solution, mod, extension or custom, to improve the u.i. experience of the assets view, I sure love to hear it.
    I want to be able to preview and look through everything, and as it stands now, everything feels extremely buried.
    I wish there was a normal file management tree, it would make life so much easier finding, previewing and managing files. As it stands now, I get lost.

Has there been any discussion on improving this important panel and making it easier to get a birds-eye of their content without all the drill-down?

While I'm hear, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend me some 'essential u.i. extensions'. .. maybe something that improves the graphics, indicators, arrows, selection ect.

Thank you very much.

I second that. Asset window needs serious overhaul. I don't think there is mod that fixes this.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I third that.

I make a lot of use of the Asset manager, and the disparity in performance between this core function and the rest of Fantasy Grounds becomes starker every time I buy a new token pack. Searching it is like wading through treacle, and this is becoming a significant block to the workflow.

For whatever they're worth, the following would make my life easier:
    1. A top level differentiation between NPC tokens and Map assets, so when I do a search for "Elf" (for a PC token), I don't have to trudge through every entry for "Shelf" to find it.
    2. A list view for quick searches.
    3. Customisation. Specifically, the ability to save search results and select from them to compile a "palette" of assets specific to a map or campaign, and then compile those into a "library" of frequently-used assets available to all campaigns.
    Alea iacta est

You are better adding your suggestion to the wish list (it's probably there already); it'll get lost on the forums. Link in my signature.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I concur. With the art subscription, a lot of purchased maps, all the Devin Night tokens and a fair few of the other token packs too, the asset window is a significant roadblock to workflow. Now that we have the facilities to make maps inside FGU, the barrier to doing so is often finding the asset you need. Search is slow, the asset window is prone to reset itself at the slightest provocation so at the bare minimum making its state somewhat more persistent and customisable would be a great help. Multiple instances of it would help too - for example having the search for "walls" and "floors" open simultaneously.

I do a lot of my management by dropping back into MacOS, running the search there, then replicating it inside FGU having narrowed it down to a sensible search term. This is OK for maps and map elements using external assets but I don't think it works with stuff in the art pack subscription and it certainly doesn't work for purchased tokens.

Can we come up with a detailed set of suggestions for what might improve it, to punt to the idea informer?

Cheers, Hywel

I'm thinking about ending my art subscription at the end of the year because it is so cumbersome to use.

I'd take a look at how other software does things like this. Some sort of tag system and actually visible names instead of hovering over each folder to see what could be inside would certainly help.

As i stated in the original post,

1. A file management tree view with lazy loading

2. Persistent state

must have

Yes and when you search assets by "FG" the FG asset packs you purchased actually show up. I use assets a lot real time and all this would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    I'd take a look at how other software does things like this.
    Other software products are using proper database, purpose designed schema and various caching methods and background jobs to keep everything performant. There is always the initial pass that index all your files and prepares the environment with thumbnails and etc, depending what the software is doing, but afterwards all is blazing fast.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You are better adding your suggestion to the wish list (it's probably there already); it'll get lost on the forums. Link in my signature.
    Just registered and added it. Thanks for linking me there. I really hope they listen, because I haven't used a file management system this counter intuitive in quite awhile.

Want to zoom out and use thumbs (even thats bad, but not near as bad as using a grid view with paging for the root)...cool. Exit come back in...uh, what happened.

ON Tab 5, in folder B, I want to go up a folder and pick up where i left off... ...oops, now your back at tab 1.

No persistent state of preferences, no tree view, tedious paging...ect. ect. We have all these beautiful assets, art sub, and apart from searching, you can't even get a clear idea of what you have without drilling down through 40+ 's bags, and god forbid you just want to go back up and continue where you left off...back to square one.

rant over, I hope they prioritize this with all the assets they sell...really a shame how bad it is.

Thread Information