FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 10 of 11 First ... 891011 Last

Thread: So... Kingmaker

I would like to make a request for this large AP:

Can Background Decals be added to the AP for the various stages that the players will progress through? It is nice to have these available. I am coming off running a two year campaign for the Mummy's Mask and it had decals created for all the AP stages and it was nice to changes those scenes as we progressed through the AP.

It does not seem this gets implemented enough, but it is nice to have available.

I will admit that I may be misunderstanding where the decals come from, but I am obviously assuming that the are part of the AP modules.
    Last edited by Stargrove; February 19th, 2023 at 23:20.

Any image can be used as a decal now, I usually pick one of the AP scenes as a decal; Just open them on the asset window. Or do you mean customized (semi-original) images?
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

No, like the ones shown here that were included with the AP for Mummy's Mask:

Whoever made the Mummy's Mask AP put those images to be used as decals in the AP file itself and they are located here: ..\PZOSMWPZO9079FG.dat\modules\PZOSMWPZO9079FG Assets\images\decals\

I believe they are images from the AP books themselves with the Mummy's Mask logo added underneath them.

It was a nice touch. Whoever did Rise of the Runelords only included images from the first AP book and then just didn't do any more of them.

Come to think of it now, I have a lot of the FG AP books and Mummy's Mask seems to be the exception and not the rule as not many of them actually have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stargrove; February 20th, 2023 at 03:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    It was a nice touch. Whoever did Rise of the Runelords only included images from the first AP book and then just didn't do any more of them.

Come to think of it now, I have a lot of the FG AP books and Mummy's Mask seems to be the exception and not the rule as not many of them actually have them.
    The original implementation of decals was very resource hungry - each decal was loaded into memory, even if never used. So products stopped using them. Recently the way decals work has been changed and so now it's not much of a resource issue as it was originally. It's now up to the individual product dev if they take the additional time needed to create decals specific to the product.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

What is the best way to do it now then if I have to do it myself?

What is the best way to do it now then if I have to do it myself?
    Add the images to either your <FG app data>\images or <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\images directory so that they appear in the Assets -> Images list (the asset Data or Campaign folder, respectively). Then, from the Assets -> Images list navigate the image you want to use, click on it so that the Preview window opens, then click the "Set Background Decal" button.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I was playing around and found that I could also put files in this directory: ..\campaigns\Kingmaker\images\decals and they would show up for my Kingmaker campaign.

But, is sounds like, based on your previous explanation, that this may not be the viable because it loads all the graphics there into memory.

But, is sounds like, based on your previous explanation, that this may not be the viable because it loads all the graphics there into memory.
    The *old* way was too resource intensive, the new ways aren't - either using the decals directory or making any image asset a decal via the "Set Background Decal" button. Do whatever works for you - the old way isn't implemented anymore.

Quick update on my automation progress …

So I have made good progress with automating the kingdom meta-details and tracking of monthly events.

But I am confused about how to properly handle the “data” side … when I package it up for others to use.

What is the currently accepted “norm” based on what’s been released to date? If I compare it to the existing “kingdom sheet” … it already had included kingdom stats and skills.

So I am interpreting it as “anything mechanics related” would be ok -- but what about kingdom feats or “kingdom features” ?

There are about a dozen “kingdom feats” and ~40 “kingdom features” that are gained as a kingdom levels up.

Then there are the dozens (40-60ish) “kingdom activities” that can take place during a kingdom month.

Of these only the (12) kingdom feats were included in the release AP. The (level up) features and kingdom actions are only included as part of the APs reference manuals.

So my question again … what data can I include within the app and what cannot be included?

Is it “probably OK” to include everything that would be on a character sheet?
    Or just what was included in the “free PDF” released for the “Players Guide to Kingmaker” (the 2022 version) ?
    (for context: it didn’t include the text for the kingdom events, but did include ALL the other rules, stats, including feats and features … as well as listing all of the buildings and their related metadata)

For my usage so far, I manually entered ALL of the data … so I could automate around it and simplify management of each kingdom event, etc.
    But if I need to strip out or not include any data, would like to know in advance ... so I can inform users about what they will need to do before using my toolset.

Any suggestions or such would be super helpful, as I’d rather not get folks excited about this .. if it's going to get shot down before actual release.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtwhy View Post
    Quick update on my automation progress …

So I have made good progress with automating the kingdom meta-details and tracking of monthly events.

But I am confused about how to properly handle the “data” side … when I package it up for others to use...
    You can include data is purely mechanical and also data that is covered by an open/community commons license. Most of Paizo's base data records are covered by the Open Gaming License - so as long as you release your data with that license (include the full OGL in your product somewhere) then you can include that data. A good rule-of-thumb is you can include what's in the 2E PRD (Pathfinder Reference Document) on Archives of Nethys. The Kingmaker stuff is here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Sources.aspx?ID=150

Thread Information