STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

How will One D&D impact FGU?

The big announcement from WotC today was One D&D. A nice, digital sidecar to the physical books. New updates for all the books (moar money) with digital bundles to use on what appears to be a VTT using their engine and subscription service.

I'm curious how this will impact FGU's future in the D&D space, and how Smiteworks will adjust to this major change in the landscape.

We'll have to wait and see won't we?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

What is the future of FantasyGrounds?

With WotC announcing their One vision, new books and rules and specifically DnDBeyond becoming a VTT with future book releases bundled with digital content, coming on the heels of R20 taking DMsG what is the future of Fantasy Grounds?

To be fair, is looking a lot like Talespire, so idk if they'll buy it / bought it

picture 1
    picture 2
    picture 3
    picture 4

Screenshots of the early version of D&D's 3D virtual tabletop. They use a tilt-shift camera perspective because they DON'T want it to feel like a video game. In the video, an invisible hand picks up and moves the miniatures.
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Blog Entries
    Since inception, FG has been a VTT platform for all RPGs. I'm sure it will continue being such.

SmiteWorks has stated before in response to similar questions (like the acquisition of DDB), that they even if they would no longer be able to produce new WotC D&D content (of which their is NO indication), they will always be able to keep their existing content and any users will always be able to redownload previously purchased content. Plus FG's open format allows users to input or convert their own content from mother sources.

No one has bothered with a DDB to FG converter because the 5E content is available in FG. If that were to no longer be the case, then I'm sure the devs or community would quickly develop a DDB link/importer like Foundry and other VTTs already have.

It will take several years to determine the actual impact of a WotC "One D&D" VTT on the gaming world (and FG) and if it becomes a success. It should, but last time WotC tried (4E) it failed miserably.

In other words, it's an interesting thought experiment, but not something to worry about for several years.

MOD: merged duplicate threads to keep discussion centralized.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; August 18th, 2022 at 22:51.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

D&D is a big product - but its not the only RPG product that needs a VTT.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by TommyNuke View Post
    With WotC announcing their One vision, new books and rules and specifically DnDBeyond becoming a VTT with future book releases bundled with digital content, coming on the heels of R20 taking DMsG what is the future of Fantasy Grounds?
    These types of questions always come up when these sorts of announcements come up.

The last time, when WotC bought D&D Beyond, this was Doug's response (I can no longer find the thread where this was posted though):

Wizards of the Coast will be making a public announcement at some point in the near future about Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds, but you don't have anything to fear. Our license already includes a clause which allows all our customers to keep a copy of any purchased content regardless of the status of our license. We are also allowed to keep a copy of all the licensed content we produced on our servers for customer support. This means that you would be able to redownload and install them even if we were ever to lose our license with Wizards of the Coast. We don't currently have any concerns of that happening.

Wizards of the Coast views our community as a valuable thing and they don't want to do anything to upset or disrupt that. We currently have a license which renews with Wizards each year and they intend to continue this.

I would imagine a similar response to this latest announcement.

Personally, I want to know that my Fantasy Grounds purchases will NOT be updated in synch with WoTC. I really don't like the current writing team and want my stuff left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Personally, I want to know that my Fantasy Grounds purchases will NOT be updated in synch with WoTC. I really don't like the current writing team and want my stuff left alone.
    Ouch. That is an interesting thought. You can always backup your materials in the vault and hopefully this will never be an issue. However, be aware that you should never keep the backup in the Vault directory as everything not subscribed to (ie other directories and such) are deleted when subscriptions are verified. This is how FG controls their subscription mechanism. (or it was at one point)

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Since inception, FG has been a VTT platform for all RPGs. I'm sure it will continue being such.

SmiteWorks has stated before in response to similar questions (like the acquisition of DDB), that they even if they would no longer be able to produce new WotC D&D content (of which their is NO indication), they will always be able to keep their existing content and any users will always be able to redownload previously purchased content. Plus FG's open format allows users to input or convert their own content from mother sources.

No one has bothered with a DDB to FG converter because the 5E content is available in FG. If that were to no longer be the case, then I'm sure the devs or community would quickly develop a DDB link/importer like Foundry and other VTTs already have.

It will take several years to determine the actual impact of a WotC "One D&D" VTT on the gaming world (and FG) and if it becomes a success. It should, but last time WotC tried (4E) it failed miserably.

In other words, it's an interesting thought experiment, but not something to worry about for several years.

MOD: merged duplicate threads to keep discussion centralized.
    Yeah, I love FGU because of all the different games I can play. I already have Call of Cthulhu, Alien RPG, Dune and Fallout, and I really, really want the d20 Star Trek Adventures.

And while I'm dreaming, I really wish I could get source books and materials for Cyberpunk, the old West End Star Wars, maybe Mechwarrior, and maybe a supers game like Champions.
    I love that FGU can handle different games.

Thread Information