5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Feedback for sneak peek stream (dice, sounds, vehicles)

My only source of information on these things is from todays stream and the sneak peek video some days ago. I'll surely reiterate some things which has been said before.

Vehicles
    • Is there some new base logic for all rulesets available?
    • Many systems use some kind of vehicles and would benefit of any CoreRPG enhancement (like for example the import stuff some weeks ago).

Dice
    • The dice & effects themselves look cool.
    • My only caveat is the supression/neglection of community development. This feels like a premium-only feature.

Sounds
    • The sound panel implementation with context sensitive sounds looks really handy and good. No more need to search for anything midsession if it's been prepped.
    • Like dice, the only issue I currently have is again the supression/neglection of customization which already was widely discussed.
    • Personally, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for an optional Syrinscape soundpack for an adventure. I do mind that people without Syrinscape simply can't use the sound feature.
    • I would love if I can use any sound source in my selfmade or homebrew or paid adventure.

I know you're a business and need to make money, everyone needs to make money. But please dont make new features feel like they're a premium-only feature.

PS: I really like the streams, *thumbs up* everyone involved.
    Last edited by Zarestia; August 5th, 2022 at 20:31.

Vehicles
    There is some base logic that already existed in the CoreRPG ruleset to show vehicles as separate records. However, @superteddy57 and I had to rewrite a bunch of the combat tracker, actor manager and other script logic to allow vehicles to live alongside NPCs in the combat tracker and roll resolution scripts. Plus, there is a bunch of legacy decisions to work with. We were able to get the vehicles working like we wanted in 5E, but there are a lot of legacy considerations (including amount of DLC and third party support) that may preclude vehicle record usage in other rulesets. We do not have any plans at this point to implement vehicles in any of the other rulesets we support in the store at this point, due to those issues.

Dice
    Custom dice require a bunch of custom models that have to be built and tested directly in the FG client. There is no way to load them dynamically at run time at this point; and I'm not sure if it's something we are going to be able to do. Doug has already talked about potentially working with publishers to potentially create custom skins for specific product releases.

Sounds
    We have had a lengthy relationship with Syrinscape, and have had this project on our list to implement for some time as they are a good partner to work with. With the implementation as shown by Doug, you can build your own sound sets and sound rules using any Syrinscape music. One of the benefits of working with Syrinscape is that it doesn't require any sort of special audio pipe setup to share sounds with your players, as they handle that automatically through their system. While we have some ideas we might implement in the future to allow sounds to be specified to be played from local files on GM client, as that naturally leads into having to "helping" people set up audio pipes and other complexities; or having to implement an entire audio subsytem of our own (which is a big undertaking, if you look at all the features that audio sharing software does).

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the answers and clarifictions.

Vehicles sound good - I think with the new implementation in 5e community devs have a blueprint on how things can be done if wanted/needed.

Loading dice at run time (like some other VTTs implementation) would be really nice. But imo is more nice than essential.

For sounds, I think many people expected a "native soundsysten" (i.e. FGU plays the sound, not a 3rd party, myself included). I can hear people ask: "FGU can play dice sounds, but not anyhting else? I need a browser open as player to hear sounds?". I sincerely hope this is something which will come asap after the Syrinscape integration is ironed out.
    Not to sound mean, but this would be like locking the los/lighting tools behind a dungeondraft/inkarnate/dungeonfog/etc. subscription.
    Last edited by Zarestia; August 6th, 2022 at 01:15.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your feedback Zarestia. It is appreciated.

I really think that rulesets, that use non-standard dice, such as vampire, should get a free update with a base set of new dice with correct symbols. It will just look cooler. I am more than ok with additional dicesets for these rulesets in the store, with effects and all the bells and whistles. Or.. in the case of Vampire...dice that leave a blood trail!!!

Væsen is another ruleset that comes to mind. I am sure there are more.

I don't mind using the free syrinscape app ... but I'd like at least the OPTION to use my own sounds rather than buying sounds through syrinscape, or worse, buying yet another subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    I don't mind using the free syrinscape app ... but I'd like at least the OPTION to use my own sounds rather than buying sounds through syrinscape, or worse, buying yet another subscription.
    My sentiments exactly

Would you be able to explain a bit what you mean by "loading dice at run time" and what impact that has?

That’s so sad that we won’t see the new vehicle functionality in CoreRPG. I did hope that finally we’d be able to have them supported in CoreRPG, MoreCore, Fate and Call of Cthulhu. That really is quite a blow but I guess I understand the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgetone View Post
    That’s so sad that we won’t see the new vehicle functionality in CoreRPG. I did hope that finally we’d be able to have them supported in CoreRPG, MoreCore, Fate and Call of Cthulhu. That really is quite a blow but I guess I understand the reasoning.
    Vehicle support is available, but up to the ruleset developer to flesh it out. The code can be setup in those rulesets and take advantage of the ground work that made it possible in 5e.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thread Information