STAR TREK 2d20

Supporting zones.

Hi!

First post here and I've not yet bought Fantasy Grounds. This might be a nonsense question but I'm specifically looking to run Alien online and I want to know if the ruleset or FG itself supports movement by zones. Everything I can see including videos, shows maps with grids overlaid on them. But the Alien RPG doesn't work that way. What I want is to take a map (I draw my own) and mark out zones on it. So room is a zone, this corridor is two consecutive zones, etc. Is there a way to do that in FG and if there is, will this rule set respect that? Can FG handle "you can move two zones" when that's not a hard regular measurement like a grid?

It's probably an obvious answer but I've not used FG before so...

There is a painting tool that will allow you to mark out zones onto the image. Many follow this setup with Fallout 2d20 and Dune 2d20. You can turn off the grid, but it is very helpful in keeping token size and other features related to maps.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Idea Informer

Blog Entries
    FG doesnt restrict movement in terms of distance. It can restrict movement on walls, doors, difficult terrain.
    As above the grid is also used for token sizing which is a very handy feature.

Thanks both. Possibly I wasn't clear from my lack of familiarity with Fantasy Grounds. So when I draw zones on a map, does that have any actual effect other than visual representation? What I'm asking is if I had several rooms on a map, they're different sizes and shapes but each is a zone, and a player wants to sprint and move two zones, would the system recognize "1 zone, 2 zone... yep, that's the limit". Like I'm sure with grid systems it can say "you can move four squares" and has tools to show where you can move to, how far you've moved, etc. Can it do the same with zones?

Quote Originally Posted by KKKKKKKKKKKKK View Post
    Thanks both. Possibly I wasn't clear from my lack of familiarity with Fantasy Grounds. So when I draw zones on a map, does that have any actual effect other than visual representation? What I'm asking is if I had several rooms on a map, they're different sizes and shapes but each is a zone, and a player wants to sprint and move two zones, would the system recognize "1 zone, 2 zone... yep, that's the limit". Like I'm sure with grid systems it can say "you can move four squares" and has tools to show where you can move to, how far you've moved, etc. Can it do the same with zones?
    Fantasy Grounds does not support the concept of zone. It works only with squares and hexes when it comes to measurement templates and distances. Therefore, drawing zone with the drawing tools is just for visual representation and you can't use the measurement.

What I am using in my games is to set up square or hex grid and make it invisible. This i control the token size and they snap nicely. Then I don't use any distance and leave it like that. Hopefully, someday we might have zone support, but it is not an easy thing to add, considering how free-form this concept it.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information