DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Power Attack Keywords

Maybe I am overlooking something BUT...

I am creating new powers for a homebrew setting. Within the Powers section, I have created a new group to house my homebrew powers. I have copied Bolt to this new group, and edited it to create Fire Bolt. I right click the power and edit the Attack Info to include the Fire keyword (for effect purposes).

The problem I encounter is when assigning this power to a character sheet. It does not bring forward any Attack Info keywords. Is this by design, a bug, or am I goofing something up?

Using SWADE as the ruleset, all updates applied, no extensions.

EDIT: It does bring the Attack Info over from right click of spell, but does not add these keywords to the attack on the character sheet Powers tab.
    Last edited by twistedtechmike; July 17th, 2022 at 21:41.

To be clear: Your issue is that the keywords only appear in the Attack Info, not on the sheet itself?
    First off, I would not duplicate the power for that purpose. It should suffice to use the default Bolt power and edit the attack info on the character sheet (while the Bolt power is locked, the attack info is not).
    In regards to the attack info:
    That is on purpose, I believe. Take the attached screenshot for example: The attack has 5 keywords to cover all the bases. Some seem redundant, but make it easier for the GM to apply the correct effect without looking up what exact keywords were used. Now, imagine all of those keywords would be listed for every single attack - madness! Therefore they are "hidden" from view.

Keywords.jpg

And while doing this I realized you probably meant "I assigned the keyword to the power in the powers list and it gets lost when adding it to the character sheet"...well...that might indeed be a bug, I'm not sure on that one.

Update: Yeah, it's missing.

@Moon Wizard or @Ikael:

The file charsheet/template_charsheet.xml has this blurb which is responsible for adding all the details of the Power to the charsheet when using Drag&Drop:

Code:
    <template name="charsheet_powerlist">
    	<list_sw>
    		<class>charsheet_power</class>
    		<allowcreate merge="delete" />
    		<allowdelete merge="delete" />
    		<acceptdrop>
    			<class>powerdesc</class>
    			<field>name</field>
    			<field>powerpoints</field>
    			<field>range</field>
    			<field>duration</field>
    			<field>damage</field>
    			<field>damagetype</field>
    			<field>armorpiercing</field>
    			<field>effect</field>
    			<callback>powerDropped</callback>
    		</acceptdrop>
    		<linkfield>link</linkfield>
    		<localref>
    			<class>powerdesc</class>
    		</localref>
    		<noscroll />
    		<script file="charsheet/scripts/charsheet_localref.lua"/>
    		<script file="charsheet/scripts/charsheet_powerlist.lua"/>
    		<sortby>
    			<control>name</control>
    		</sortby>
    	</list_sw>
    </template>
    Under <acceptdrop> there is one field missing:

Code:
    <acceptdrop>
    	<class>powerdesc</class>
    	<field>name</field>
    	<field>powerpoints</field>
    	<field>range</field>
    	<field>duration</field>
    	<field>damage</field>
    	<field>damagetype</field>
    	<field>armorpiercing</field>
    	<field>effect</field>
    	<field>keywords</field>
    	<callback>powerDropped</callback>
    </acceptdrop>
    Similarly in campaign/template_npc.xml.
    Without this, the "keywords" field on powers gets ignored when adding a power by using drag and drop.
    This was probably not noted previously because all the pre-defined powers do not have keywords and the usual use-case is to manually add those after adding a power to a charsheet - however, I see no reason why one should not be able to define custom powers with pre-installed keywords.
    Last edited by FrodoB; July 18th, 2022 at 11:21.

FrodoB, looks like you found what I was experiencing. I know in most cases players would add trappings themselves, but for this setting we have some clearly defined powers.

Thank you for the diligence!

I think this is by design, because powers in SW are templates. For most settings, this is correct behavior.

I, too, have a setting with powers with pre-defined trappings based on Arcane Background. This isn't uncommon, so it would be nice to include keywords on drop.

Template powers wouldn't have keywords, so no side effect there. I can't think of anything that would cause problems if this were implemented. And it would bring it in line with weapons.

Personally, it would save me time reminding my players to add their keywords or pausing during combat to add it after realizing something didn't calculate correctly. (I use keywords and effects heavily in my games.)

I have addressed this case. Power's Keywords and Raise Damage fields are copied when you Drag&Drop into N/PC sheet.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thank you for this and the various other fixes. I'm glad you're back!

Thread Information