FG Spreadshirt Swag

“Reset Bennies” doesn’t include wildcard allies

When the GM clicks the “Reset Bennies” button on the Party Sheet, allied wildcards don’t have theirs reset. I assume this is because it only looks at characters listed in the Party Sheet. Is is possible to also check Allies linked to characters on the PS?

I think the issue here is that while PCs do have Bennies attached to them, everything else does not. Allies (regardless of character or party allies) only have Bennies in the context of the combat tracker - they don't have their "own" value. The Combat Tracker does the lifting there, it sees "Oh, this is a dragon and also it has 2 bennies". The moment the dragon is gone from the CT, the CT throws out this information.
    This is also why when you remove and re-add a wildcard NPC on the combat tracker it will rest to 2 Bennies (or however much is appropriate for them) - the CT basically sees it as a brand new combatant.

So on the reset the ruleset would have to:
    - Check all the allies
    - Verify whether they are on the CT currently
    - Reset the Benny count on the CT

I'm sure this is possible, but I'm not sure this is intended behavior. I imagine the general idea is that you only reset Bennies when a session is over - and at this point the CT should be emptied to clear it, especially because it's so easy to re-add everything (Combat Tracker -> Menu -> Add to tracker -> Add PCs/Allies).

The other solution would be to track the bennies for every single wildcard (or only allied ones) that ever showed up independantly from the CT...which is probably possible, but would bloat the database and be a pretty big rewrite I imagine. Ikael is largely absent at the moment, so we mostly only get bugfixes and this would be out of scope.

(Educated guesswork, did not delve into the code for this)

You're on the right again. Ally bennies were not reset because unlike PCs, they do not store bennies anywhere outside combat tracker. However now that this was mentioned, IMO it makes total sense that when PC bennies are reset, we can scan for allies that are already in combat tracker and reset their bennies as well. I have implemented support for this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
    I think the issue here is that while PCs do have Bennies attached to them, everything else does not. Allies (regardless of character or party allies) only have Bennies in the context of the combat tracker - they don't have their "own" value. The Combat Tracker does the lifting there, it sees "Oh, this is a dragon and also it has 2 bennies". The moment the dragon is gone from the CT, the CT throws out this information.
    This is also why when you remove and re-add a wildcard NPC on the combat tracker it will rest to 2 Bennies (or however much is appropriate for them) - the CT basically sees it as a brand new combatant.

So on the reset the ruleset would have to:
    - Check all the allies
    - Verify whether they are on the CT currently
    - Reset the Benny count on the CT

I'm sure this is possible, but I'm not sure this is intended behavior. I imagine the general idea is that you only reset Bennies when a session is over - and at this point the CT should be emptied to clear it, especially because it's so easy to re-add everything (Combat Tracker -> Menu -> Add to tracker -> Add PCs/Allies).

The other solution would be to track the bennies for every single wildcard (or only allied ones) that ever showed up independantly from the CT...which is probably possible, but would bloat the database and be a pretty big rewrite I imagine. Ikael is largely absent at the moment, so we mostly only get bugfixes and this would be out of scope.

(Educated guesswork, did not delve into the code for this)
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    You're on the right again. Ally bennies were not reset because unlike PCs, they do not store bennies anywhere outside combat tracker. However now that this was mentioned, IMO it makes total sense that when PC bennies are reset, we can scan for allies that are already in combat tracker and reset their bennies as well. I have implemented support for this.
    It would be cool if that happened, though we finally realized that creating them as characters and putting them in the party sheet works well (we’re coming from Pathfinder, where the party sheet also tracks experience, so having non-PCs there causes problems).

Nice! Thanks for that round of fixes, hope everything is going well for you and it's not too stressful at the moment

Thread Information