5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

text import of NPC stat blocks

How are people getting on with this new feature. I only found one source where a simple cut and paste works. DnD beyond doesn't

personally i still use the old Engineer suite and then rezip the mod files so that they can be read in Unity
    Last edited by hawkwind; July 15th, 2022 at 12:00.

Does not work well for me. I copy things from Dnd Beyond and Attributes and any of the Saving Throws, skills, resistances, immunity, vulnerability fields are captured.
    Even in this state it saves a lot of time, most annoying for me are the actions to populate.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

i encountered that problem as well, if the attribute bock doesn't import properly then the section with the items you mentioned doesn't get imported, I post in to notepad delete the attributes and insert an attribute stat block that works like this
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    18 (+4) 11 (+0) 18 (+4) 12 (+1) 15 (+2) 18 (+4)

then all the skills and resistance's come in alright and i can amend the attribute values by hand in the imported block

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It would be great if that pre-import process is done by the ruleset, instead of me having to format all entries.

Probably but that's a crap ton of work. I was using a pdf from WotC which are very clean and require a minimal amount of work to tidy up. Some pdf's will have all manner of rubbish in them which would take considerably longer and catching all the possible things that could be in it would probably take more code that the entire ruleset does now.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Currently, the import routine is designed to be used with the format provided by WotC in Monsters of the Multiverse (i.e. copied from book).

If you are copying from another source (such as D&D Beyond), then the data will have to be adjusted to look like MotM entries for now.

In the future, we may look at adding support for additional import options; but the primary motivator was to make conversion of new books easier.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Currently, the import routine is designed to be used with the format provided by WotC in Monsters of the Multiverse (i.e. copied from book).

If you are copying from another source (such as D&D Beyond), then the data will have to be adjusted to look like MotM entries for now.

In the future, we may look at adding support for additional import options; but the primary motivator was to make conversion of new books easier.

Regards,
    JPG
    What is the point to facilitate copy from book when Wizards don’t sell PDFs to copy from, but DND beyond is available?

Because that is material that our converters use to make the books. Plus, anyone entering the material from the books either by hand or from another source, it will just work for.
    Part of this update was to migrate our official internal build process to use just FG, instead of requiring a separate tool.

As I said, adding additional import options is something that we may look at in the future.

Regards,
    JPG

It would be good if the current process when presented with a incorrectly formatted attributes like the star blocks from Dnd beyond imported the saves , resistances and immunities rather skip them as it currently does.

Thread Information