DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FGII freezes when I attempt a map upload

So, I got together with my friends tonight, tried to play some FG, then the server freezes up as I attempt to load up the map. Finally, I attempt a ctrl+alt+del, which luckily works, and use End Task on FG. I retried several different times, used a different map, I'm assuming it's a problem FG has with uploading images, as none of these work.

I'd also like to add that FGII has been buggy in general- I've had to restore my campaign after it corrupted itself for no apparant reason twice within two months. I have a legitimate, totally updated copy, I am not using any different rulesets- the only files I have uploaded onto FGII are map images.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'd really like to not have to reset my entire campaign again.

My experience is that size matters: big images/maps cause problems so try to keep image sizes down (I aim for sub-100k).

Stuart

How big are the maps and what kind of connection speeds do your players have?

I've used maps up to about 3 megs in size (3,019 KB) with no problems. What I do notice is that FG will 'freeze' until the map loads on the players side.

Maybe if you have a big map and a slow client connetion it looks like FG is locking up.

rv

If bandwidth issues are causing the freezes you can always try pre-distributing images via modules. I've been experimenting with this, and large maps (upwards of a meg) work fine.

More info here.

Make sure that the map dimensions do not exceed FG's maximum. IIRC, that is 1400 x 1400 px.

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan
    Make sure that the map dimensions do not exceed FG's maximum. IIRC, that is 1400 x 1400 px.
    Really? Does that create instability?

I thought that was a limint in FGI but not FGII.

My big map above is 3227x1255. I've used it several times on 2 pc's and it works fine. No issues on the client side either.

rv

There was a bug in FG1 that limited size, that was fixed in FG2. I agree it sounds as if you are pushing a big file out to someone on a low bandwidth. File size and number of players really matter on this.

Try to keep map sizes small, say less than 300k perferably less than 100k - don't use bitmaps use pngs or jpegs. If you need to use large maps pre load them even if everyone has broadband - and don't touch them until the spider web appears. It is best to do it this way because it keeps the players from messing with the map. If you have players with fast and slow connections if the fast guy get the map and starts drawing or playing with it - it changes the map and starts the load to the slow player again with the update. Preloading keeps the players from messing with the map before everyone has it. That of course applies to the GM too. Once you start a map load you need to leave the map alone until everyone has it - don't add tokens, draw on it, mask it or grid it. Either do that before you send it or wait until all the players have it. Note: maps do cache on the player's machines but only after they have succesfully recieved it.

You up bandwith could also be totaly overwhelmed by a map that is a few megs that you are trying to send to 5 or six players while also using voice software and having a player run bit torrant at the same time. Up bandwith is typically one forth to one third of your total bandwith.
    Last edited by Griogre; October 23rd, 2007 at 19:40.

Thread Information