DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123

I've put the server back up as it was and it can stay up. Connect at will.

The router's manual shows it's a pretty basic router with not much to play with. I'd try turning off parental controls, "block service," "schedule when to block," and do not set up a DMZ. The router has some logs, I'd check them but I doubt they'll have anything interesting. Unless you know what they are, make sure port forwarding and port triggering are turned off. I don't see any quality of service, traffic shaping, or other ways to muck with which machine gets priority.

There's no way to turn off ipv6 on the router. You can turn it off on both clients, but don't bother until the other options have been tried. It's not hard to do, it's in the network properties. If there's a network icon on your desktop, right click that, or you can also get to it from the control panel. If you aren't thinking "yeah, I know how to do that," I can also run the server on a machine which is ipv6 connected (I think, I've never actually tried to verify through the ISP). I'll stick my nose in here or you can leave something in the FG chat box. It's not much effort on my part.

This ipv6 theory assumes that your GM also has a ipv4 only connection. You can ask.

-------------
    Would someone else with two ipv6 machines on the same network try to connect a few times? That's be the easiest way to stick a fork in that one.
    -------------(attention grabbers)

I was able to get two v6 clients to connect and reconnect to that server with no problems. I'll leave 'em for a while and try again later, but that theory looks even less likely.

So how'd it go?

If you can borrow another router (not another cable modem), you can "disable router mode" on your cable modem. Plug the borrowed router's WAN port into the cable modem and connect your machines to the new router. If external internet doesn't work you'd have to figure out how the borrowed router's WAN port gets it's internet address configured.

Thank you for checking back in. It went poorly on Saturday during our session. Started out okay - me wired into our network, my partner wireless on our network with VPN - but then we both started to be disconnected. She switched over to phone hotspot, while I stayed on our network. Even just me was problematic. Would be connected for 10m-15m then disconnected. I fiddled with settings throughout our session, but nothing seemed to be super successful.

There are no parental controls on our device, blocking and scheduled blocking are disabled, and there is no DMZ. Port forwarding was off but port triggering was on. I turned it off, but that didn't resolve things. I tried turning off IPv6 on my network properties and that seemed to help, but disconnects still occurred. I logged into the test session on Sunday with both machines and had no disconnects occur for at least three hours. Is it possible that it's the relationship between our network and our GM's? Is it possible that general increased use and traffic on FGU (weekends versus weekdays) would make a difference? Or increased traffic on our ISP (we live in a condo building so many folks seemingly tapping ISP resources more on the weekend when at home)?

I will see about finding another router to play with.

Some thoughts for investigation:
    * You can also look at any QoS settings on the router, as well as making sure there is no SPI filter or ad blocker type of settings enabled.
    * For the GM network, have they checked similar settings on their side?
    * For the GM network, are they using Comcast/Cox as their Internet Service Provider? If so, maybe they can check where the "Advanced Security" option is turned on, and interfering.

Related thoughts:
    * IPv4 vs. IPv6 shouldn't matter if everything is working, and ISPs aren't doing anything unusual.
    * In general, the traffic volume shouldn't matter with most ISPs unless the condo building is providing the Internet service through a shared router, and their router is performing it's own throttling.
    * Again, in general, the relationship between your network and GM network really boils down to all the hardware and software layers between your machine and their machine (ISP, router(s), OS network/security, application). That's why a lot of the advice is trying to narrow down which piece seems to be causing issues for you.

Regards,
    JPG

Thank you, JPG. I do really appreciate the follow up. On our router settings I see, under WAN Setup, "Disable Port Scan and DoS protection". Would it make sense to click that on? Otherwise I'm not finding anything related to DoS. I saw options about security settings in the general network recommendations post - should I try switching from WPA2-PSK to WPA or none? I'll chat with the GM today about their settings and what they may be able to investigate.

I don't think that DoS Protection would have an impact; but it depends on the specifics of what the router is trying to do. In my previous messages, I was specifically referring to QoS (quality of service) which usually performs throttling on a per connection basis.

Another thought I just had is that if you are using a WiFi access point separate from your router, you may need to make sure that your WiFi access point is in bridge mode and not acting like another router (which would have it's own settings) (i.e. network within a network).

The encryption level of the WiFi (WPA2/WPA2-PSK/etc) should have nothing to do with this; since it's a point-to-point encryption and I'm running similar settings here.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Reading Moon's comment about bridge mode, made me remember that my router has a "AP Isolation mode" that prevents devices from connecting to each other. Maybe your's has similar?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ryan, if you manage to snag another router to try disabling the modem's router or try something else, let me know and I'll put the server back up. The router being the culprit isn't that strange, I had a netgear WGR614 that would drop connections every 50 minutes if my wife was streaming netflix while I was blowing up monsters.

Is there any chance your condo is one of those that resells cable, ie you pay the condo association and not the utility directly? Those setups are notoriously oversold.

It's also unlikely but possible that someone upstream is limiting the total number of TCP connections. Do you have a lot of browser tabs and other stuff running on both clients while FGUing? Is there something else in the house using the network?

When the disconnect happens does it happen suddenly once the other machine connects, or is there some sort of waiting period with a hang and then the disconnect?

Has it ever failed with the VPN trick?

Thread Information