STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Two Players Connecting from Same Network Disconnects Each Other from Host

Greetings All,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If not, please feel free to move the thread. Additionally, I'm sure there are other threads that would be helpful that I was unable to find in my searching. Please feel free to just link me somewhere and I'll do the necessary reading...

My partner and I have been using FGU for a while with some friends who have played for many years. All of them are on individual networks. We are the only ones who connect on the same personal home network. I am generally hard wired to our router/modem and she is usually on WiFi. We run into an issue in which often when one of us is connected and in session, then the other connects, the first person is kicked out of the session. This happens back and forth, regardless of which of us joins first, and we have to restart repeatedly until it, for whatever reason, decides to work.

We just switched GMs after ending a campaign and I thought maybe another host/GM would make a difference, but it has not. It's almost worse, seemingly, the one session we played.

I've attached a .zip of logs from the last incident this past weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you,
    Ryan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome to the FG forums. Sorry you're having issues.

Do you and your partner both have free FG licenses?
    What license does the GM you're connecting to have?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'd need to see logs from the GM as well as the players when the incident occurs to get any idea from the logs what might be happening.

However, in almost every situation where we have had people report networking issues, the issue has tied back to firewall/router settings. Please take a look at the Network Troubleshooting wiki article to see what kinds of items you can look at.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

Given that the issue stems from both players trying to connect on same network and individually they appear to connect just fine, I would focus your investigation on your Internet router settings. I would specifically look for anything in the settings specific to additional firewalls or throttling. (i.e. SPI filter, parental controls, QoS (quality of service), etc.)

Regards,
    JPG

Trenloe, JPG,

Thank you both very much for the quick responses. It’s very much appreciated. Our GM has an Ultimate license. My partner and I are both using free licenses. Would standard make a difference?

I don’t have logs from the GM during the incident, but I will ask them to if the issue persists so I may post them here.

Network / router settings makes sense as the likely issue. Thank you for providing that link. I will give it a review and tinker to see what I can find and adjust.

Blog Entries
    If the GM has Ultimate license then that's not the issue. Trenloe was (I assume) wanting to eliminate the issue that if the DM has a Standard license, then only 1 Free user can connect, the second one to do so will be disconnected.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Understood - thank you for clarifying. No, GM has ultimate and we have two other players who join regularly as well who do not seem to have this disconnect issue. So likely then it seems it's our network, which I will dig into. I appreciate the help and support. We love the platform, just not our own connectivity issues!

Here's a wild *** guess.

This is kind of technical, if you don't understand, say so and I'll try again.

Does the hardwired machine have a fixed IP address (configured in windows) and the wifi machine have an IP address assigned by the "router" (via DHCP)? If so, the IP address for the hardwired machine needs to be outside the range of IP addresses that the router allows for DHCP.

The error of note that shows up in all three logs is "The requested address is not valid in its context." I think this means that the network connection, from a windows perspective, is disappearing and reappearing after FGU starts up.

I've left a server running for you to have both clients connect. If you see the failure, stop trying to connect. That'll get the server logs quicker.

GM TVDinner
    campaign RyanTest
    password Wifi

Possible cheap test: if you have a VPN client like ExpressVPN or Nord VPN (and they both look to have free one month trials if not) try using the VPN client on one, leave the other alone. If FGU is mistakenly booting the second connection because as far as the DM's PC can tell, it's two connections from the same real-world IP address, using a VPN client would probably defeat that, as the DM's machine would see two different IPs arriving.

I saw some connections and grabbed the logs as of noon central. Partner is still disconnecting and reconnecting, I'll probably grab the logs again in a bit. The big question is "did the failure happen and if so, when?"

Thread Information