STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Timer

Quote Originally Posted by DustyLensCap42 View Post
    With this extension, I've made another extension that resets the timer when the Next Actor button is pressed in the combat trackers. It's called TurnTimer. With it and Mattekure's Timer, you can actively track the duration of the current turn. I have a few players in 5e that love to absolutely optimize every turn. Sometimes taking more than 20 minutes for them to take their first action on their turn. I tried pushing them for a quicker decision without imposing a homebrewed rule and it led to some players feeling frustrated at my nagging them to decide. So I homebrewed that they get a base minimum of 30 seconds plus 20 seconds for every +1 to intelligence in combat turns to declare their first action or lose your turn. I am lax on it in more complex scenarios. For the most part, it's been great. No one has lost a turn, they're just far quicker to decide. And more proactively pay attention between turns. My games move so much faster, and the optimizers love the mechanical aspect of it. Thanks to Mattekure for the base extension. You will need both Timer.ext and TurnTimer.ext turned on for it to work.
    Awesome, this sounds great!
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thanks for including my 1.5 changes! I've been loving the extension for tracking my player's turn times, so I was excited about the opportunity to contribute to the project. Lemme know if you ever need anything else! Thanks Again, Justin

Have you seen/are you aware of any other extensions (than TurnTime) which make use of the timer? I am rather looking for the opposite: my players are discussing at length outside of combat and I would love the clock the progress at the same time (or perhaps double speed). So time progresses outside turn based combat and can be stopped when turn based combat starts. Still need to jump ahead (using ClockAdjuster) from time to time, but a baseline progress would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnagus View Post
    Have you seen/are you aware of any other extensions (than TurnTime) which make use of the timer? I am rather looking for the opposite: my players are discussing at length outside of combat and I would love the clock the progress at the same time (or perhaps double speed). So time progresses outside turn based combat and can be stopped when turn based combat starts. Still need to jump ahead (using ClockAdjuster) from time to time, but a baseline progress would be helpful.
    You can use the timer to track time on its own, without using the turn timer. Just open the timer using the button in the top right and click start. it will run the timer and you can see how much time has elapsed.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    You can use the timer to track time on its own, without using the turn timer. Just open the timer using the button in the top right and click start. it will run the timer and you can see how much time has elapsed.
    Sure, that's pretty much how I currently do it. Just hoping for an integration which advances the internal (campaign) clock.

Hey mattekure, do you know what I might be doing wrong with hooking up a function to the timer? Do I need to use specific parameter names or something?

I put this in the onInit function:
    TimerManager.registerTimerAction("onTimerUpdate", 2);
    Then I have this function:
    function onTimerUpdate(nCurrentTimerSeconds, tExtraParams)
    if not Session.IsHost then
    return;
    end

Debug.console("ExtensionTutorial.onTimerUpdate - Current Timer Seconds", nCurrentTimerSeconds);
    end
    Once I start the timer and it hits 2 seconds, I get this error in the console log instead of the debug statement that should say the current timer seconds:
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "Timer:TimerManager.lua"]:127:attempt to call a field '?' (a string value)

Quote Originally Posted by SieferSeesSomething View Post
    Hey mattekure, do you know what I might be doing wrong with hooking up a function to the timer? Do I need to use specific parameter names or something?

I put this in the onInit function:

Then I have this function:

Once I start the timer and it hits 2 seconds, I get this error in the console log instead of the debug statement that should say the current timer seconds:
    You are passing the wrong argument to the registerTimerAction. you need to pass the function as the first parameter, not the name of the function in a string.

so from your code, remove the quotes around the function name so its actually passing the function reference.
    Code:
    TimerManager.registerTimerAction(onTimerUpdate, 2); 

function onTimerUpdate(nCurrentTimerSeconds, tExtraParams)
    if not Session.IsHost then
    return;
    end

Debug.console("ExtensionTutorial.onTimerUpdate - Current Timer Seconds", nCurrentTimerSeconds);
    end

That was definitely it. Sorry it was something so simple, but thanks for the help!

I have build a very basic extension which progresses the time minute by minute (using Clock Adjuster) as long as the timer is running.
    You should make sure that the options for turn-based progress are disabled as otherwise, effects expire too early (unless your players and you can each complete their turn in less than 59 seconds )

Update:
    Now added an option to switch in-between „run during combat“ (reset on turn) and „run outside of combat“.

Original:
    No options, does not even check if all required extension are loaded, just registering the clock advancement.

Real time runs when timer is running, and stops if timer is stopped.

Now on the Forge (hence removing the attachment).
    Last edited by Arnagus; April 6th, 2024 at 14:26. Reason: Added Option, moved to Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Arnagus View Post
    I have build a very basic extension which progresses the time minute by minute (using Clock Adjuster) as long as the timer is running.
    You should make sure that the options for turn-based progress are disabled as otherwise, effects expire too early (unless your players and you can each complete their turn in less than 59 seconds )

No options, does not even check if all required extension are loaded, just registering the clock advancement.

Real time runs when timer is running, and stops if timer is stopped.
    Nice Work!

Thread Information