FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Critical hit like 5E

Please bear with me, I am trying to come up with something so my DM can focus on campaign and not mechanics.

My DM is trying to come up with options for critical hits to be a bit less deadly. right now if you roll a critical based on the weapon crit range, then do the second crit role and "hit" it will basically do double damage (or more) of weapon and all modifiers (STR, weapon specialization, power attack...) but not sneak attack or something like flaming weapon, per PF rules.

He would like to keep the option to use or not use the second crit roll check, but also have the option to only double the weapon damage, not the other bonuses (how 5e does it).

being new to PF, he was watching the Archer punch holes in things (they rolled 3 crits over 2 rounds for over 100 damage).

is this even feasible? is there any coder I could "commission" to code it for the community (I looked at learning to code lua and it is way too much for me for now).

He is actually more concerned about some of his creatures 1 hit killing the 7th level party due to crits.

Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.

Edit, partial ANSWER:
    My DM came up with this answer for the players only (not NPCs), it works like 5E crit rules but it does mean every weapon on your character sheet would need to be edited as seen in the picture below. essentially you do 2 damage lines. one for the dice roll and it stays at the correct crit multiplier and a second for all bonus damage that doesn't double and set the crit modifier at 1x. This would also allow a choice of say only the weapon bonus crits not feats... also this would still work with the critical check PF option.

5E style Crits.JPG

as a note, if the player has an effect say DMG:2 that will still double but DMG:2 critical doesn't double, and DMG:1d6 doesn't double (no dice rolls tested doubled)
    Last edited by Morenu; June 2nd, 2022 at 02:17.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Quote Originally Posted by Morenu View Post
    Please bear with me, I am trying to come up with something so my DM can focus on campaign and not mechanics.

My DM is trying to come up with options for critical hits to be a bit less deadly. right now if you roll a critical based on the weapon crit range, then do the second crit role and "hit" it will basically do double damage (or more) of weapon and all modifiers (STR, weapon specialization, power attack...) but not sneak attack or something like flaming weapon, per PF rules.

He would like to keep the option to use or not use the second crit roll check, but also have the option to only double the weapon damage, not the other bonuses (how 5e does it).

being new to PF, he was watching the Archer punch holes in things (they rolled 3 crits over 2 rounds for over 100 damage).

is this even feasible? is there any coder I could "commission" to code it for the community (I looked at learning to code lua and it is way too much for me for now).

He is actually more concerned about some of his creatures 1 hit killing the 7th level party due to crits.

Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.
    The GM can always edit the crit multiplier Just edit any x3 to a x2 for example (standard is x2, so, just omit any extra crit information)

for the CC roll: If you do not want to use that (but I'd recommend it because it decreases the likelihood of a crit), then just ignore its outcome and simply roll a forced crit afterwards (either via the crit mod button, or press shift while rolling damage to force a crit)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    The GM can always edit the crit multiplier Just edit any x3 to a x2 for example (standard is x2, so, just omit any extra crit information)

for the CC roll: If you do not want to use that (but I'd recommend it because it decreases the likelihood of a crit), then just ignore its outcome and simply roll a forced crit afterwards (either via the crit mod button, or press shift while rolling damage to force a crit)
    Is there an on crit effect that could be added to weapons? something that would check for a critical and then apply the effect if true?

Say I use a sword that does 1d8+6 damage and I crit successfully, normally it would do 2d8+12 critical damage. If I had an on crit effect added to that sword that was either -6 damage OR heal target 6 then my DM would get the damage he wants.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Morenu View Post
    Is there an on crit effect that could be added to weapons? something that would check for a critical and then apply the effect if true?

Say I use a sword that does 1d8+6 damage and I crit successfully, normally it would do 2d8+12 critical damage. If I had an on crit effect added to that sword that was either -6 damage OR heal target 6 then my DM would get the damage he wants.
    that is no possible in base FG I do not know whether an extension allows for stuff like that, maybe just for special situations possible, but for your example there is no extension, I think (there are DMG effects which only trigger on crits though, like DMG: 1d6 critical)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 27th, 2022 at 05:26.

I understand the concern. However, my recommendation, play PF1 as it was designed. It's different from 5e, that's cool - there's no need to try to make PF1 more like 5e, IMO.

But, if you really want to change it, you're going to have to do some things manually; maybe as Kelrugem mentions - change the crit multiplier for weapons to x1 and add the base weapon dice to the rolls, but this might mean that resistances, DR, etc. don't work 100% correctly, especially with damage entries with multiple instances. You may need to do something like have additional weapon entries in the actions tab for rolling critical damage or apply a one off DMG effect before rolling damage, or other such things. Unfortunately, these options aren't all available to NPC damage entries, so your main concern may be a little more fiddly and require a bit more manual work on the GMs side.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I would also recommend not changing the rules.
    Some options:
    -Give the party a couple of scrolls of raise dead, if somebody in the party can use it then after the fight you can raise dead and you are good to go

-If the party has access to npc, they can go to the level 9+ cleric in the city and pay him to cast raise dead (cost 9 x 5 x 10 + 5000 gold = 5450 gold)

-after raise dead follow up with restoration to get ride of negative levels

-retrain hit points to get more hit points on the characters. https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-abil...ns/retraining/

-give out magic items
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items...ond-chances-1/

Just tell your GM that Golarion heroes are to Forgotten Realms heroes as Superman is to humans. Also, he can go into options at set monsters to max HP if he wants fights to last longer.

Classic & Unity Ultimate License Holder

Thanks everyone, we figured out a work around that isn't too tricky/interruptive

AND... My DM still didn't like that answer so he came up with a fix for the PC that is automated and can be tweaked to allow for say the weapon + to be doubled but not any feats or such. (added this to the OP)

Attachment 53002

Sorry to hear this, it looks like he just threw away all automation with effects for both you and the npc.
    Like having to manually adjust your weapon for things like power attack and buffs for this to work.
    And is not a fix for npc at all.

He might just throw an effect on everybody:
    Immune: critical
    Or even better he can adjust in the option meny to not roll confirmation rolls automatically, then you have to manually roll critical damage. Just never roll critical damage and follow steps below instead.

To then if you have a critical hit you can do:
    When rolling damage hold left mouse button and drag it out to the the creature. While holding left mouse button right click, for each right click you add one dice to the damage.

And a final note. Always be careful with these changes which nerfs non magic characters and does not affect magic casters at all. Magic casters in pathfinder are already several miles ahead on the power curve compared to non casters.

Thread Information