DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to resize maps

Hello,

as the title suggests, I'm looking to see if someone can help me with adjusting map sizes.

I got a map from a Patreon creator, but when I imported the map and put my player's characters on the map they are microscopic.

Can someone help me with figuring out if there's another solution once I import the image or what to do to make it so they take up the full square properly?

Thanks in advance.

(blue circled area is the player character)
    Attached Images Attached Images

How big is that map? And what size have you made the grid? Assuming that you placed the token correctly (by dragging from the CT) it seems that map is enormous. FGU automatically places a 50px grid on the map and tokens will size to that grid. If the map is huge then the grid will likely be too small and you'll need to redraw it to match the grid lines on the map. Placing the token after you've done that should get the correct result.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Another way to think of it, in your original map, how many pixels per 5 foot square? Then after you import to FG, and before you add tokens, adjust your the grid to be that number of pixels. Then tokens and measuring will be as expected.

Grid should normally be someone around 50-100 pixels / 5 ft. If you are much higher than that, you may want to reduce the image size before importing. And much lower than that and the image will look very low resolution.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Another way to think of it, in your original map, how many pixels per 5 foot square? Then after you import to FG, and before you add tokens, adjust your the grid to be that number of pixels. Then tokens and measuring will be as expected.

Grid should normally be someone around 50-100 pixels / 5 ft. If you are much higher than that, you may want to reduce the image size before importing. And much lower than that and the image will look very low resolution.

Looks like it's enormous 9.97mb and 4725 x 7087.

I'm sorry if i'm not understanding well.. but..

Is there anything I can really do? I have no idea how many feet are per inch. I tried reaching out to the patreon owner and no response when I also asked this question. It looks like he makes specific to roll20 and for printing purposes.

I tried 50 and 100 and still SUPER tiny.

Assuming without a lot of work these aren't usable for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    How big is that map? And what size have you made the grid? Assuming that you placed the token correctly (by dragging from the CT) it seems that map is enormous. FGU automatically places a 50px grid on the map and tokens will size to that grid. If the map is huge then the grid will likely be too small and you'll need to redraw it to match the grid lines on the map. Placing the token after you've done that should get the correct result.
    It's really big. 4725 x 7087

Not sure if there's anything I can do. I tried 100 grid and it's still way too big

Blog Entries
    So yea, that is very high resolution. Open the image in a image program, and see the grids that are all over? Each one of those ia a five foot square. Your image program should tell you roughly how many pixels that is. Either with a measuring tool or a cut or crop tool. A very rough estimate is something like 500 pixels per square. Once you know what that number is there are two things you can do;

1) Use it as is. Be warned though that this can slow FG down, especially when you share the image with all your players and if you create and enable LOS. Wen you do this, go into the image control panel > Grid and set the grid size (i.e. 500) and set it to visible to make sure you get it right and aligned to the visible grid in the image. Then make it invisible so it doesn't conflict with the grid in the image.
    Screen Shot 05-19-22 at 03.47 PM.PNG

2) Lower the resolution of the image. Rescale it to something like 945 x 1417. And then add it to FG and set the grid per instruction above. You can use any image program you are familiar with, or you can download this utilty a community member made that will help with the process and can also be used for images that the built in grids are not actually sqaure or an even number of pixels. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...gn-map-to-grid

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Use this utility to resize the map. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...gn-map-to-grid

See the video linked near the bottom of the first post for how to use it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shoestring View Post
    I tried reaching out to the patreon owner and no response when I also asked this question. It looks like he makes specific to roll20 and for printing purposes.
    The image you've downloaded looks like it 300 pixels per grid square which is print quality (if printing at one inch per grid square). They probably also do a VTT file - for Roll20 that is usually 70 pixels per grid square, but some cartographers use higher. So first step is to see if the Patreon has more VTT friendly images.

Which Patreon did you get it from?

It's really big. 4725 x 7087
    If this is the only map size you have, this is twice the recommended maximum size for FGU. And looking at that map, it's about 15 x 25 squares (ignoring the black around it). So, if you can't find a VTT friendly version, do some rescaling of that image - working to 100 pixels per grid square should be good.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 20th, 2022 at 00:35.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If this is the only map size you have, this is twice the recommended maximum size for FGU.
    While that may be a recommendation, I can say from experience that it's not too big. I've created some large maps in Campaign Cartographer that have been larger than 10 MB; though not much larger. For those even my players on slower, low bandwith connections never wait too long. I couldn't give an exact share-to-view time in seconds, but it's never long enough to disrupt gameplay or generate "where's the map?" comments. It no doubt depends a lot on the FGU host's connection speed, but I've read that recommendation before and wondered if it comes from a time when connection speeds on average were considerably slower?

Not sure if there's anything I can do. I tried 100 grid and it's still way too big
    For any map for which you're unsure of the DPI per grid units, always count the number of grid units along the shortest dimension. Then divide the number of pixels along that dimension by the number of grid units. It's tricky for your map, because the grid is on a layer below the outer earth boundary. It's hard to be accurate from a screen capture, but to my eye it looks to be just shy of 16; probably 15-3/4. That fits because 4725 / 15.75 is 300, which is a common dpi resolution for game maps. So I'd recommend trying a 300 grid.

You can also set a grid manually on any map image. Just right-click on your map image and choose Layers > Set Grid from the pop-up radial menu. That will change the pointer to a cross hair, which can be left-clicked on the boundary crossing of 4 units/squares and with the left button held down, dragged until the white lines align with the existing grid. To make it easier and more accurate, use your mouse wheel to zoom your map in until only a few grid units fill the image window. As well, be aware that using that approach places a white grid over your maps exiting grid. To turn that off, you need to access Grid settings and click the color picker under Tint to display the Pick Grid Color box. That box has for sliders, the bottom "A" slider controls transparency and dragging it all the way to the left will hide the new grid.

Note, that if the white grid won't align properly with your maps existing grid, that's because the original map's grid wasn't created correctly. Afraid there's isn't much you can do about that; just set the grid as best you can and live with the fact that for some parts of the map, tokens won't place or line line up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post

Note, that if the white grid won't align properly with your maps existing grid, that's because the original map's grid wasn't created correctly. Afraid there's isn't much you can do about that; just set the grid as best you can and live with the fact that for some parts of the map, tokens won't place or line line up perfectly.
    You can use the utility that I linked in post #7 to resize the map so that it will align with any grid size you want.

Thread Information