STAR TREK 2d20

Zelda D&D - What Rulebook Works Best?

Hi y'all,

A While back I made a post about making a Zelda campaign. Since then I've found a ton of resources.

My biggest issue right now is choosing a good Rulebook, that is FGU compatible, that really fits the feel of Zelda. The main thing that makes it difficult for me to choose is that I feel a lot of rulebooks are very complicated, and I don't know what can and can't be taken out. Like for example I don't need mechanics for wounds that bleed, or hunger.

I would like to take out Charisma and Classes out of the game altogether. I would want each player to be on the same equal footing more or less, just like in Runescape, or Classless WoW, and Link in Zelda games. In other words every character would have the ability to use magic, shoot arrows, use melee, everything. on that note, players can excel and focus on whatever they choose, such as magic, or ranged.

Here is a Google Doc of all my ideas so far:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

TL;DR
    I need a simple rulebook for a Zelda Campaign. One that is flexible, so that I can take out Charisma or Speed and change how things work to fit the Zelda feel. No Classes. Doesn't need any complicated mechanics like bleeding wounds, hunger, item weight, attunement etc. Needs to be malleable, simple, and FGU compatible.

Thank you for any help!

FATE would be a good fit too I think

savage worlds will fit.
    FATE is nice option, but in savage you can make the combat better.
    D&D and pathfinder are too heavy for zelda

Quote Originally Posted by garbulus View Post
    savage worlds will fit.
    FATE is nice option, but in savage you can make the combat better.
    D&D and pathfinder are too heavy for zelda
    I can disagree a bit with that statement.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...gend-of-heroes
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosis93 View Post
    My biggest issue right now is choosing a good Rulebook, that is FGU compatible, that really fits the feel of Zelda. The main thing that makes it difficult for me to choose is that I feel a lot of rulebooks are very complicated, and I don't know what can and can't be taken out. Like for example I don't need mechanics for wounds that bleed, or hunger.
    I don't know if you've aware of this, but Reclaim the Wild is IMO an impressive fan-made adaptation of the Zelda verse to a tabletop RPG. I particularly like that the creators incorporated some aspects of the Tri Force into their adaptation. As others have already recommended, FATE and Savage Worlds could definitely support an adaptation well. And Pathfinder 1e too, as demonstrated by the heavily Zelda inspired 8-Bit Adventures - The Legend of Heroes by Fat Goblin Games - hyperlink that supperteddy provided.

I would like to take out Charisma and Classes out of the game altogether. I would want each player to be on the same equal footing more or less, just like in Runescape, or Classless WoW, and Link in Zelda games. In other words every character would have the ability to use magic, shoot arrows, use melee, everything. on that note, players can excel and focus on whatever they choose, such as magic, or ranged.
    If this is very important to you, FATE Core and Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (the latest) are your best choices, because Charisma and classes are not featured in either. While both are important, core features of the Pathfinder ruleset.

Here is a Google Doc of all my ideas so far:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

TL;DR
    I need a simple rulebook for a Zelda Campaign. One that is flexible, so that I can take out Charisma or Speed and change how things work to fit the Zelda feel. No Classes. Doesn't need any complicated mechanics like bleeding wounds, hunger, item weight, attunement etc. Needs to be malleable, simple, and FGU compatible.
    IMO the most important consideration for bringing a videogame setting (or any Fantasy setting) to a tabletop RPG, is to adapt the flavor, themes and trappings and DON'T try to convert it. If you try to convert things like videogame play mechanics, you'll end up shoehorning and IME won't get good results. I've adapted 2 video games to Savage Worlds and have updated an earlier fan-made video game adaptation for it. I can say it's a terrific ruleset for adaptations, with lots of flexibility that won't get in your way. I've also adapted existing Fantasy settings to FATE Core and can say it's as good and as flexible. Between the 2, it's more a matter of the preferences of your audience of players. Savage Worlds is more skills-based with a cinematic feel to it due to exploding dice, while FATE is highly narrative with players needing to enthusiastically roleplay and embrace their Character's Aspects, to get the most out of it. Pathfinder 1e IMO is a crunchier/more complex ruleset than either of those, but I played and GMd it for 3 years and it definitely has its plusses. It's particularly good for long campaigns where players will be rewarded for their ever evolving game mastery. It also has lots of support and quality publications for GMs.

I skimmed through your doc; it looks like a good start, but reads more like a brainstorm than an outline for a tabletop adaptation. IMO that's not a bad thing, as getting such thoughts and ideas down on paper or screen is what lets you put you build your personal tastes and stamp into an adaption. A lot of the items in your doc like the masks, IMO could be handled as arcane items with Savage Worlds, as extras with FATE, or as wonderous or magical items with Pathfinder. Without an existing fan-made adaptation or a published, similar setting (at least I'm unaware of one), I personally wouldn't attempt to adapt Zelda to D&D 5e. While I've never adapted a videogame to that ruleset, I did adapt a Fantasy setting I originally homebrewed for SW. I found the classes and races more difficult to work with or around and 5e spells are more rigid with predefined, explicit trapping compared to Savage Word's powers. They're also more structured than FATE's stunts or extras.

If costs are a consideration, FATE Core comes free with FGU Standard or Ultimate. Note, it's a purchasable item from the SmiteWorks store, but buying it doesn't add anything to the free content - it's there because the FATE Core PDF is pay what you want, so you can use the ruleset for free or pay a minimal $5 US. Savage Worlds Adventure Edition is also low cost ($10 US), but you might want the SW Fantasy Companion ($10 as well) as it adds a bestiary and magic items that you could reskin for Zelda. Note though that the Fantasy Companion is for the SW Deluxe ruleset and a new FC DLC is supposed to be released this year. That said, I've used the existing Fantasy Companion DLC with SWADE without issues. Core Pathfinder 1e is also free with FGU, but with the one hitch that the bestiaries are not - only get the D&D 3.5 monster manual free. The Zelda inspired 8 Bit Adventures doesn't provide a true bestiary, but provides examples of how to reskin monsters from the existing PF bestiaries, which means you need to purchase it. The bestiaries are expensive for FGU; $56 fore each. If you're willing to put in the elbow work though, you could buy the cheaper PDF bestiaries and copy & paste the details into a FGU monster template, then adjust accordingly.

My recommendation, since you've already put good thought and effort into what you personally want in an adaptation, would be to download the free Reclaim the Wild adaptation. As well, if you're familiar with the PF1e rules, for the minimal amount it costs ($1.95 US) I'd recommend getting 8-Bit Adventures - The Legend of Heroes. Having both of those will give you concrete examples of how others have adapted the Zelda setting to tabletop and there's probably features in both that you could milk & borrow for you own adaptation.
    Last edited by kronovan; May 17th, 2022 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    I can disagree a bit with that statement.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...gend-of-heroes
    Awesome!!!

Thread Information