5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Attempting resolved connection to server

Cannot connect to my weekly game. Launcher gets stuck on this screen. It did work this past Sunday.

Capture.JPG

Possibly anti virus or some network settings either on your end or your DMs end. Some troubleshooting articles here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications and here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The FG application runs a peer-to-peer connection from the player machine to the GM machine. In fact, the "Cloud" server type simply uses a publicly accessible server to help broker the connection between the GM and the player; and the GM is still the "server".

This means that any failure in the network connection process is occurring somewhere between the GM machine and the player machine. The troubleshooting article covers many examples of scenarios that could occur due to network configurations that might cause a connection to be dropped or data to be blocked. Unfortunately, all of these network interactions occur outside the scope of our application, so there is not any information received by the application as to "why" a connection is dropped/blocked.

You didn't mention in your initial post or response as to which things you have tried (as well as log files and information on the Internet provider you and GM are using or any other information for us to help you).

Even with log files, those usually say that the connection is dropped, but at least we can review the logs to verify that. So, that's why we made the Troubleshooting article, in order to walk through scenarios where connections could be dropped or data blocked. Some things that have come up previously that could block connections. (Windows Firewall, Router SPI filtering, Parental Controls, Internet Ad Filtering, Comcast/Cox Advanced Security, ...)
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

Regards,
    JPG

I apologize for the snarky response the other day, I was a little frustrated after messing around with this for 2.5 hrs.

For the first link, I am using windows defender for antivirus and I allowed Fantasy grounds access when prompted. I also added all the exceptions as outlined on the web page.

For the second link,
    Step 1 - Ensure Correct Join Campaign Settings
    The settings for both games that I have been playing in for the past 4 months have not changed. The other players of the games were able to connect.

Step 2 - Check Security Software
    I tried both adding exemptions and flat out turning off my firewall and antivirus software.

Step 3 - Log Gathering

Step 4 - Basic Connectivity Checks
    Other players are able to connect to both games. I am also able to connect on my second computer. This makes me think it is something specific to this tower. If your wondering why i just dont use the other computer, it is because it is my home theater pc and not as good as my main pc that i am having the issue with.

Step 5 - VPN Usage Check
    I purchased a VPN and this seems to fix the issue.

Step 6 - Wireless vs. Wired Connections
    I use a wired connection and checked the wire on my other machine and was able to connect.

Step 7 - Check Network Performance
    I ran a speedtest.net and was getting 901.05 Mbps down and 398.31 Mbps up.
    2600:4040:5644:4f00:c0f7:e7f0:764a:3b55

I wiped my entire computer and did a fresh install of windows. this didn't work.

So, I have messed with this for a few days now and for some reason my main PC is experiencing issue with the internet as a whole but they are fixed by using a VPN. I don't know what is going on. It's way above my head and ability to fix. I also am able to connect using a different PC on the same network. Any help fixing would be greatly appreciated.

No worries. I can understand the frustration; we just have limited ability to help with network issues outside of our application. We can only make suggestions.

The fact that a VPN is bypassing the issue, and that it works on a second computer at the same house, leads me to believe that you still have some sort of security or filtering program running on your main machine. Or possibly related to being connected to multiple networks at the same time.

A couple ideas:
    * Try looking for any ad filtering, parental control, website blocking, or any other programs in your Startup section of the Task Manager.
    * Also, if you are connected to multiple network interfaces, try disabling the other network interfaces in your Windows Settings, other than the one you want to connect to the Internet with.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information