DICE PACKS BUNDLE

What do I do with the Players Reference?

This may seem like an odd question, but what's the vision for use of the Player's Reference?

When I (as the GM) have the Player's Reference and the Core Rulebook loaded, there are lots of duplicate entries in places like the Careers list. Am I supposed to allow players to load that rather than the Core Rulebook? I can't see any reason why I wouldn't just let players load the Core Rulebook. Am I missing something?

I'm with you. It's more of a business requirement due to bandwidth issues. The Core Manual is larger than the Players. If you share your book to the players that connect it's an increased payload over your network. Albeit small, the more you share the more things add up and can slow your games down. Totally up to you on what you share and how much. I share mine but I have a cabled connection vs wi-fi and a PC powerhouse.

So, it is a bandwidth saving option. That makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

I think the main reason for the Players Reference is that you can just share that with players in case there are things in the full Reference that you do not want the players to see, such as npc stats, introductory adventure, etc

Quote Originally Posted by johnecc View Post
    I think the main reason for the Players Reference is that you can just share that with players in case there are things in the full Reference that you do not want the players to see, such as npc stats, introductory adventure, etc
    I got told to make a Players Reference, even though I said there's nothing in the Core Rulebook that you need to hide from players. Means I have to do error corrections twice.

This is mirrored on the 5E books, and as stated, sometimes in GM's books you have adventures etc.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    I got told to make a Players Reference, even though I said there's nothing in the Core Rulebook that you need to hide from players. Means I have to do error corrections twice.

This is mirrored on the 5E books, and as stated, sometimes in GM's books you have adventures etc.

Thanks,
    MBM
    If I may make a suggestion for the 2022 update.

Player Reference:

-Introduction
    -Traveller Creation
    -Skills and Tasks
    -Combat
    -Equipment
    -Vehicles
    -Spacecraft Operations
    -Space Combat
    -Spacecraft Construction
    -Common Spacecraft
    -Psionics
    -Trade

Referee Reference:

Encounters and Dangers
    World and Universe Creation

Then you don't have to double up on anything.

In the most recent official SmiteWorks ruleset they broke it down to EVERYTHING in the rulebook (GM and player) with the minor exception of the adventure which went into a separate module. The adventure consists of 16 pages of the 438 page rulebook. That seems a little like cheating.

Ha well, if you remember I did ask people what they wanted and it was split 50/50. People like me, want everything in the 1 book as I just share it as I would on a tabletop, others wanted it split.

Which ruleset, Fallout? I know SuperTeddy has been trying new ideas in a lot of areas. I will steal and copy some of these.

2022 is a way off though, plenty of more useful content needs adding first!
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Our guideline is to split the player and GM material into separate modules; so that GMs do not get confused when they load both books and see multiple copies of the same records.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information