5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Close Encounters (Multiple Rulesets)

Forge Link: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/618/view

Current Version: 2.0.6
    Supported Rulesets: D&D 3.5e, 4e, 5e, Pathfinder 1e, 2e, and Starfinder

Close Encounters adds a new "Target" action type to PC spells and powers, which you add by right-clicking powers/spells on the PC sheet, the same as adding an attack roll, damage roll, heal, effect, etc.

The target action has two properties that you can set: radius and faction. Radius is the range in which actors are targeted. Faction will limit the action to targeting only actors matching the specified faction. For example, in D&D 5e, a radius of 30 feet with a faction of "Enemies" will target all actors within 30 feet of the PC whose faction is set to 'foe' (Red on the combat tracker).

To make things even easier to use, when a PC uses the target action the extension will save all targets that PC already has prior to executing the action. Then, when the action is performed a second time the extension restores the saved targets. But only that, but when a PC ends their turn, if they have any targets saved by the target action (because they used the action on their turn) the extension will restore the saved targets automatically. In this way all a player has to do is click the Target action, click their saving throw, effect, or other action targeting everyone around them, then end their turn. There is a game option setting to disable restoring targets on turn end (default is on).

Updates
    v2.0.6 - Updated action compatibility.
    v2.0.4 - Updated to be compatible with Capital Gains
    v2.0.3 - Fixes and updates
    v2.0.0 - Updated to work with the Feb 2023 FG ruleset updates.
    v1.1.5 - Fixed issue when using pathfinder 2e that was causing the 'apply all effects' action but to not work.
    v1.1.3 - Fixed issue when using 3.5, pathfinder, or pathfinder 2e where action tooltips were being hidden.
    v1.1.1 - Moved the action to the top of the radial menu for better compatibility with other extensions.
    v1.1.0 - The action button now changes to reflect when you have targets saved so that players are better informed about how the extension is working. Additionally, if the target action is taken and targets are saved, the saved targets are displayed on the action line in the form of the targets' tokens.
    v1.0.0 - Initial release

Known Compatibility Issues
    * As of Feb 2023, due to how new actions are registered you may find that some extensions overwrite each others' actions. This is a limitation of the base system and there is very little extension developers can do to make sure that we all play nicely together. This is much more likely to occur the more extensions you have that add new action types.
    * Potential issues with Advanced Effects
    Last edited by Saagael; April 13th, 2023 at 16:02.

Great extension!

I ran into in issue testing with 4e ruleset.

Testing as GM.
    Selecting the casting character, the extension works correctly as shown below:

But if another character is selected on the map, then the caster applies "Close Encounters" the selected character is not added to the targets.

Thanks for the 4E support!
    Last edited by kevininrussia; May 2nd, 2022 at 05:11.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    Testing as GM.
    Selecting the casting character, the extension works correctly as shown below:

But if another player is selected on the map, then the caster applies "Close Encounters" the selected character is not added to the targets.
    Thanks for checking it out!

I've tried recreating this and haven't been able to so far. When I use the target action all allies within range are targeted as expected whether I've got another token selected or not. Normal testing questions

Do you have other extensions loaded?
    What version of FG are you on?
    In the second scenario where the action is failing, are you performing the action as the GM, or as a connected player?

The checks that the extension goes through to determine which targets to select are thus:
    * Is the target within range?
    * Does the target have a combat tracker entry?
    * Does the target match the action's faction filter?
    * Is the target visible?

Does the selected token pass all those checks for your setup? It looks like they do but just want to check.

Barring all that, if you upload the campaign I can see if I can reproduce it on my end.

I have checked again with new 4E campaign.

No other extensions loaded.
    Latest version of FG (updated as of today).
    Performing action as GM.

Test Campaign is attached.

To test
    1. I have created two Burst Size 3 for Beacon of Hope on Cleric Garaele. One for Enemies, one for Allies.
    2. With Garaele selected, using the burst target for Enemies or Allies will target them correctly.
    3. Clear Garaele's targets.
    4. Select one of the Allies (Thava) on the map by clicking on (Thava) token. Now select the Close Encounters target icon for Allies on Garaele's power Beacon of Hope.
    5. Thava will not be targeted but the other ally in range will be.

This process works the same with Enemies.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have checked again with new 4E campaign.

Performing action as GM.

Test Campaign is attached.
    Thanks for the info. With your campaign I can reproduce this issue, and will be debugging it to see what's going on.

Performing action as GM.
    So I've narrowed down the issue to Line of Sight on maps. If line of sight is enabled, then the isVisible flag on tokens will always be false if that token is selected, even if that token is otherwise visible. This feels like a bug in FG, but I don't know for sure.

Obviously the safest workaround is to disable line of sight on maps, or refrain from using the action while you have other tokens selected. Until I know what the intended behavior is I can't issue a fix for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    So I've narrowed down the issue to Line of Sight on maps. If line of sight is enabled, then the isVisible flag on tokens will always be false if that token is selected, even if that token is otherwise visible. This feels like a bug in FG, but I don't know for sure.

Obviously the safest workaround is to disable line of sight on maps, or refrain from using the action while you have other tokens selected. Until I know what the intended behavior is I can't issue a fix for this.
    Could check the selected status of a token as well as its visibility? I don't think a player could ever have a token selected that isn't visible to them.
    My Forge creations: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile
    My GitHub: https://github.com/MeAndUnique
    Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/meandunique
    Discord: MeAndUnique#6805

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndUnique View Post
    Could check the selected status of a token as well as its visibility? I don't think a player could ever have a token selected that isn't visible to them.
    That could work. There's edge case where the token is intentionally invisible, but because the GM has it selected it will target anyway, but that would require a very weird circumstance to even get to that point: the GM using the action from a PC sheet while selecting another invisible token. I'll try it out. Normally players can't select any tokens they don't own (even other PCs) unless the party vision and movement option is enabled, so this is almost exclusively a GM issue.

Players could run into this targeting issue if they are controlling NPC's or pets using extensions like Cohorts and Companions or Friend Zone. I'll try to test it later.

I'm hitting an issue specifically with the Spell Action Info extension. When this extension is enabled, I do not see the "burst" action choice in the right-click radial menu. When I disable this extension, it appears.

Interestingly, any burst actions that I create when the Spell Action Info extension is disabled will remain in the spell actions after the fact, I just can't get the option to create more bursts with the radial menu.

The Spell Action Info extension is credited to Zarestia, in case that is helpful.

Thread Information