DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Problems with dice number calculation in dice strings

Hello everyone, my apologies if this had already been adressed in a sub-thread.

I have the following problem, when trying to implement a few calculations for a Shadowrun Homebrew Character Sheet in MoreCore Vanilla. Yes I know, there is an unfinished Shadowrun Extension, but its bugged in several ways, so I decided lastly for this approach in vanilla Morecore.

So may problem is as follows:

In Shadowrun (for those who don't play the game) Skill Tests are calculated in general as follows: Attribute + Skill - Wound Modificator.

If I enter such a string using the pure numbers in the chat window e.g. as follows : /die (5+4-2)d6 the program rolls 5d6 accordingly and announces 7d6 as the formula.

However, If I prepare this as a dice string with for example Attribute 4 referenced as Ref Field (a), Wounds 2 referenced as Ref Field (b) and Skill 5 as (p1) and create the following parameter formula

/die ((a)+(p1)-(b))d6 it is also displayed as /die (5+4-2)d6 in the "Dice String field", and the chat window announces correctly 7d6 as the formula but only 1d6 is rolled.

Has anyone an idea regarding this problem, as to my understanding clicking on the respective roll button should simply shortcut the dice formula to the chat window. But in this case It should roll 7d6 in the aforementioned example.

Thanks to everyone in ahead.

Kain

Blog Entries
    Welcome Kain Mcraven

I think the CoreRPG support for (#+#+#) might be new... I cant recall seeing that supported before but I could be wrong

MoreCore has limited support for maths operations in these strings.
    You can do one operation only between two values only and you need to wrap it in [ ] like [(p1)x(a)]d6

Right now I dont think there is a solution for your roll but I will think on it.

Hello damned,

thank you for the warm welcome and the quick assisstance.

I used the described operation to temporary bypass the problem with the new string : /die [(p1)-(b)]d6+(a)d6

This works now accordingly. However this is only a temporary bypass as wound modifiers go ordinary from 0 - 6 and this might cause trouble again, if for example wound modifier b is 5 and the attribute p1 is 3. In a potential longer math operation, this problem would be finally solved, as either the correct remaining dices will be rolled, or the dice pool is empty.

So it would be wonderful if custom math operations using the origin FGU Dice Macros might work with longer operations in the future.

Anyway, many thanks for your reply this helps at least short-term, so that I can edit the general character sheet.

Best regards
    Kain

Blog Entries
    hey Kain Mcraven

Your roll mechanic sees you rolling a fist full of d6s. What else is happening?
    Is it always Skill + Attribute - Wounds?
    How do you measure success?
    Are there any results that guarantee a success or failure?

Hi damned,

in general in Shadowrun the roll mechanics works as follows:

- Normal rolls are usually Attribute+Skill-Wounds as mentioned. Rarely its is Attribute+Attribute-Wounds or Attribute+Armor.

- All rolls of 5 and 6 count as success. They will either be compared to the successes of a comparison roll (e.g. by the enemy), or will be compared with a ficed value (e.g. PC needs at least 2 successes, more sucesses can be used for improving the result). If the PC has the lower result, nothing happens (e.g. the shot misses, he cant open the lock etc.)

Example 1: PC attacks a gang member with his pistol. He rolls Dexterity+Pistols-Wounds d6 and counts all rolls of 5 and 6 (e.g. 3). Afterwards the ganger throws his evasion with reaction+intution-wounds and also counts his rolls of 5 and 6 (e.g. 2). So the ganger is hit and as the PC has one more success, his base damage will be increased by 1.

- Failures are determined by rolls of 1. If at least the half of the roll shows a 1, it will count as a failure, and if also no 5 or 6 is rolled, it is a critical failure causing severe problems.

I improvised this mechanics by using /die #d6s5f1 as the command, telling my players, that they need to count the 5 and 6 manually (which are highlighted in green) as well as the rolls of 1 (highlighted in red). It might not be the most elegant solution but works for now and is relatively close to your /srun4 command.

- A variation of the normal roll is the Edge roll, where the players can add their Edge Attribute to their pool by spending 1 "Hero Point(Edge)". In this case the mechanics is Attribute+Skill+Edge-Wounds with exploding die on 6.

For this scenario I simple prepared the formula /die #d6e6s5f1 and tell my player to copy and paste the formula in the chat window and to insert the dice pool manually, as it seems not possible from my current perspective to link this effect also to a skill check after double click on Hero Point.

This might not be the most elegant solution, but I am already happy that MoreCore allows me to automate most of the general rolls.

In any case, thank you for your interest in helping me.

Best regards
    Kain

Thread Information