5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Let us know how it goes
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Forgot to report back on this, but essentially, at least for me, it was just a little too futzy to be truly useable. Probably a little too much bandwidth or something, but any network connection issues and you're spending all that time trying to get a connection back to the hosting server again and when you multiply that by 5 tablets and the like it's just not workable, unfortunately.
    Last edited by zarlor; March 24th, 2023 at 01:46.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

I would also love to see support for players on phones, iPads, and ChromeBooks — even if it is a limited interface and/or requires more “screens” that players can switch between to see maps, combat tracker, chat, do rolls, etc. Since I got into FG in 2019, I’ve found that both my youth and adult player groups are unlikely to have a laptop or desktop that meets the system requirements for FGU. More of them have phones, and some have iPads or ChromeBooks.

Another option would be to have an integration of a live player-focused display in Discord. I’ve run a second instance of FGU as a player on my system and then shared that screen with the players via Discord. This is how I have to run a youth game when we’ve played remotely, as none of them have computers that meet the specs for FGU. Any way to make sharing/projected FGU easier and more integrated into the GM’s experience in FGU would be welcome.

I could imagine that having that kind of sharing/projecting capability might also be accomplished in some way that could make it easier for GMs of in-person games who would like to, for example, have a map on a second screen.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity on macOS Monterey (v12) with an Intel Mac

Sharing a "player" screen to a second monitor is easy. Just set up the screen as an extended monitor, run a second instance of FG logged in as a player and drag that instance onto the extended monitor. Or run it that way on a separate computer that you do something like Steam Link or some other remote login/desktop sharing software to accomplish it that way. The hard part on the 2nd screen, even with a shared desktop, on things like phones and tablets is FGU isn't really set up with an interface that plays nice with touch screens. It's doable (I'd done it with a monitor I'd laid flat on our table that had a touchscreen overlay on it more than a few years ago now) if you know all of the right finger controls that count as right-clicks and such, but "hovering" over those menus to see what they do isn't really possible so you'd have to know what the icons all represent which isn't really workable for folks not experienced with FGU on a desktop.

That being said I've started up a Savage Worlds game where I got some cheap mini-computers and second-hand 1080p monitors and just going to try to run with that at the tabletop to see how it goes. Some of my group are a bit grumpy when it comes to doing things on the computer (they like it old school, with rolling dice and forgetting the actual rules... sometimes "conveniently" forgetting them, I think ) so we'll see how it goes. FGU just handles a lot of stuff pretty well and is more mature overall than the competition, for my book. That being said that competition looks to be closing relatively fast and giving that they support mobile interfaces I hope Fantasy Grounds can keep up.
    Last edited by zarlor; May 18th, 2023 at 13:42.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Is there a place to vote for a Browser Based version of FG to be developed?

For me this is the one thing I find frustrating about FG - not being able to access it in a Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Is there a place to vote for a Browser Based version of FG to be developed?

For me this is the one thing I find frustrating about FG - not being able to access it in a Browser.
    The wishlist link is in my signature.

It is very unlikely that FG will even be browser based; that would require completely rewriting it from the ground up. So it would be a different product. What might happen is that you may be able to browse modules you own via a browser. However that will require renegotiation of all the licenses that Smiteworks have and that will either never happen or it will require additional costs to the user or some other legal roadblock.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    IMO, what's more likely is a cloud hosted service (for a fee, like can be done with Foundry) and then a web browser based remote session tool. Neither would require re-architecture, but would require integration of additional tools and partnerships.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    IMO, what's more likely is a cloud hosted service (for a fee, like can be done with Foundry) and then a web browser based remote session tool. Neither would require re-architecture, but would require integration of additional tools and partnerships.
    See that's what I'm talking about. Host FG in the cloud and then provide a front end which is Browser based - so effectively the user experience can move to a Browser.

Exactly. Something like Foundry at least gets you closer to what some of us really need. The biggest problem I see there is the interface, but enough folks comment on that that maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to reconsider it anyway. It's built so heavily on the use of the right-mouse click and ability to hover to see what icons mean that it just doesn't work well with web browsing or touch-screen interfaces. If there's anything that has to be re-engineered for this I would think that is probably the thing that's holding FG back. Personally I'm trying pretty hard to get back to using FG for my group, but it's taking a lot of investment from me in (at least cheap) mini-PCs and cheap monitors to do it and I expect it will be like pulling teeth to get them used to everything at first so we'll see how that goes, but that being said my use of FG overall (and, of course, purchases for it!) for the past several years was greatly curtailed because of that lack of some kind of ability to at least have a player-side web interface to work with. Foundry ALMOST pulled me over, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around some their stuff and, for me, it just isn't where FG is.. that being said they, and others, do keep getting better. It may get harder to keep using FG in the future at the current rate and I can't help but wonder how many of that pretty big Roll20 audience would be using FGU instead if that were available.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

I don't know if the FG folks are monitoring this thread, but I thought I'd add my experiences. I've had FGU since it came out and FGC before that. While I've had games, I haven't been able to get my core group to switch. The biggest reason is they don't want to give up face-to-face (and bringing everybody's computer over isn't realistic). Without a portable option (tablet or a web interface that's tablet friendly), I don't see them making the switch. Recently (as soon as I installed the TV into a table), they started on me to switch over to roll20, since it'll work on the various tablets. I've been resisting because I don't want to have to purchase all the rule books/adventures/etc again, again. (Once for the physical, and some again for FG). Just a thought for the powers-that-be. As much as I like FG, my party might be out-voting me into leaving the platform.
    --

Oh wait! Now I'm a Crusader!!!

Thread Information