DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Ranged attacks in melee and gang up bonuses: Issues with range automation?

Ranged attacks in melee distance <=1" are not using the target's parry, and gang up bonuses aren't applying. Checked the options and these are all the pertinent ones I can think of and their values:

* House Rules > Gang Up = Standard
    * House Rules > Map: Diagonal Distance = Raw
    * House Rules > Range Penalties = Standard
    * Automation > Auto Apply: Abilities & Modifiers = On
    * Automation > Targeting Allowed = On

Distance is 1". Happens for both NPCs and player characters. Tried it with user-created NPCs and weapons, and with NPCs and weapons from the core book. Is it broken or am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by LazerGonzo View Post
    Ranged attacks in melee distance <=1" are not using the target's parry, and gang up bonuses aren't applying. Checked the options and these are all the pertinent ones I can think of and their values:

* House Rules > Gang Up = Standard
    * House Rules > Map: Diagonal Distance = Raw
    * House Rules > Range Penalties = Standard
    * Automation > Auto Apply: Abilities & Modifiers = On
    * Automation > Targeting Allowed = On

Distance is 1". Happens for both NPCs and player characters. Tried it with user-created NPCs and weapons, and with NPCs and weapons from the core book. Is it broken or am I doing wrong?
    I would set Diagonal to 1", not RAW - SW Doesn't use RAW it uses Inches.

I tried this in Test and it is working as intended. Gang up also working correctly. The NPCs must be of a different faction for the Gang-Up bonus to work.

Not tried this in Live, but this was a bug that recently came up and Moon Wizard patched it (on Test so far).

Just tested in Live, it is also working as intended for me.

Do you have an extensions running?

I have the same Options as you and adjacent PCs and NPCs 1" away are correctly rolling against the Target's Parry when using ranged weapons. Do the weapons your PCs or NPCs are attacking with have an attack type of Ranged? I've also tried it with a Arcane Background PC (in my test AB Miracles) and it correctly rolls against the Target's Parry. So I can't reproduce your results.

As to Ganging Up, I can't help you with it because to the best of my knowledge it hasn't worked for some time. I always just use the modifier box, which I personally don't mind due to there being a lot of moving pieces to Ganging up; i.e. opponents with Block edge, adjacent allies that cancel out bonuses, etc.

I just tested this again, definitely working as intended, even changed the grid to hex (my preferred setup for SWADE). Set Diagonal distance to 1. Not RAW or 1.5.

EDIT: Gang-Up ONLY works on factions that are different. So you can't get gang up on Allies but you do on Neutral and Hostile. If you set to No faction (it cycles thru to no icon) then no Gang-Up bonus then either. Otherwise it all seems good to me.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; March 11th, 2022 at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    I would set Diagonal to 1", not RAW - SW Doesn't use RAW it uses Inches.
    This was the one that fixed both issues! Thanks!

I managed to reproduce the incorrect targeting. I enabled the Weird Wars II player module, and added a Tokarev TT-33 (7.62) pistol from the Weird Wars II Player Group to a WC's inventory. When I tested that WC firing that pistol at an adjacent NPC at 1" distance, it rolled against a TN 4 instead of Parry. The problem was that the item entry for the Tokarev had a Group setting of "Pistols "; i.e. a blank character at the end of the text. Once I removed that trailing blank character for it's Group, it started to work correctly. Now the odd thing is, if I re-enter that trailing blank character it still works. It's very possible that just making the edit to the weapon realigned its DB entry correctly.

My advice is that for any ranged weapon that isn't correctly targeting Parry in adjacent situations, to make it editable and check the Group setting, or even just make a simple edit. Then test it again to see if it now correctly targets Parry.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    My advice is that for any ranged weapon that isn't correctly targeting Parry in adjacent situations, to make it editable and check the Group setting, or even just make a simple edit. Then test it again to see if it now correctly targets Parry.
    Fixing how diagonals were calculated (from raw to 1x) actually fixed the gang up thing as well as the range targeting. I was not aware that weapon groups made a difference, so that's still helpful information (gives me another variable to check if something else goes weird).

Gang up bones do work but people don't like the required setup. The system being used is based on old assumptions that made before we had a proper function for measuring distance between tokens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Moon Wizard patched it (on Test so far).
    There has been no fix because Moon Wizard tested it and there was no issue found. The recent fix was for another bug in spell casting range.
    Here is the problem. There are two choices:
    1. FG SWADE (and child rules sets). Is played on a square grid and expects the distance between tokens to be integers. It rounds off if people can't put the tokens on the grid correctly. You need to be pedantic about token placement and gang up runs with no floating point.
    2. RAW SWADE does not use a grid and expects everyone to just move tokens along a ruler placed on the tabletop. Therefore, nobody is a slave to the grid. If you not being pedantic about token placement, then you are awesome. Gang up calculation may occasionally choke on a floating point but so what.

To make it even more complicated weapon reach does not exist on FG

So, with that in mind who is adjacent in the picture?
    What is the correct gang up bonus?
    ettin5.PNG

If people do not all agree on an answer, "there's the rub". How do we code that ?
    Last edited by Lonewolf; March 13th, 2022 at 04:43.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    If people do not all agree on an answer, "there's the rub". How do we code that ?
    maybe we shouldn't

Thread Information