5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Fantasy Grounds needs a Design Overhaul

I've been a longtime user of Fantasy Ground since classic. However, we're in 2022 yet FGU and its accompanying website still looks like from the late 90s and early 2000s. More and more modern VTTs are getting kickstarted and gaining popularity everyday, yet Fantasy grounds has had little improvements. Fantasy Grounds is such a powerhouse of a program that other competitors like Foundry needs user created modules to do the same things. There's even connections with publishing houses so you can get content right within the game like Roll20.

I cannot recommend this software to any of my DM friends though because of how old and confusing the user interface is. I hope there's intentions for a design overhaul of FGU and the website/marketpace soon.

This opinion crops up from time to time.

I have no issues with the UI (though the documentation of every program ever concocted could always use more attention) and I like the look and feel of the software. They serve the purpose they’re supposed to and they don’t try to deliver the moon, or whatever it is new VTTs have tried to convince me is the in thing these days.

I’m curious what you would change if you could wave a magic wand over the software.

Quote Originally Posted by itsraechan View Post
    I've been a longtime user of Fantasy Ground since classic. However, we're in 2022 yet FGU and its accompanying website still looks like from the late 90s and early 2000s. More and more modern VTTs are getting kickstarted and gaining popularity everyday, yet Fantasy grounds has had little improvements. Fantasy Grounds is such a powerhouse of a program that other competitors like Foundry needs user created modules to do the same things. There's even connections with publishing houses so you can get content right within the game like Roll20.

I cannot recommend this software to any of my DM friends though because of how old and confusing the user interface is. I hope there's intentions for a design overhaul of FGU and the website/marketpace soon.
    This is not feedback, its just an opinion that has been repeated ad naseum.

In my opinion (yeah its mine) if the FGU UI (or having to install software) is a major hurdle that is not an issue Smiteworks can fix, but something else entirely, but this could derail a potentially constructive discussion.

So what would you like changed in the UI and how would you change it?
    Savage Rifts© on Fantasy Grounds Store
    Ultimate Edition Fantasy Grounds - ONLY ON Linux
    Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Muagen View Post
    This opinion crops up from time to time.

I have no issues with the UI (though the documentation of every program ever concocted could always use more attention) and I like the look and feel of the software. They serve the purpose they’re supposed to and they don’t try to deliver the moon, or whatever it is new VTTs have tried to convince me is the in thing these days.

I’m curious what you would change if you could wave a magic wand over the software.
    I have to agree here, I never had trouble with the UI, and I've been using it since 2013, and I researched it a bunch for a few years before that (did not buy it right away because I always got sidetracked with life).

It always seems to be rather nebulous as to what is wanted beyond 'better', whatever that means. These things are highly subjective, what works for one person, would not necessarily work for someone else.

I certainly found it interesting that the absolutely inconsequential change to the sidebar back in December (if I remember correctly) was hailed as a revolution by some people. It was the tiniest of changes, but there were a lot of people gushing about it, it baffled me to be honest, it barely changed things at all.

Beyond just saying it needs to be 'better', specifics really are required.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    I have to agree here, I never had trouble with the UI, and I've been using it since 2013, and I researched it a bunch for a few years before that (did not buy it right away because I always got sidetracked with life).
    I would hazard a guess the reason you dont have trouble with it is because you have used it since 2013... thats 9 years to figure it out.

A UI overhaul is clearly needed. Interfaces have improved and become easier for people to use. There are millions of dollars spent studying the best way to make a interface experience a pleasant one. A lot of it is available for free online. There are libraries on the topic. I've linked to them in the past, google if you're interested.

There have been pages of feedback on this topic for a while now. The issue is more than likely lack of resources.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset FGU Reference Module, or Web.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Lets not rehash this again. If anyone wants to spend their time on this topic, how about reading the hundreds of posts previously made on this topic.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itsraechan View Post
    yet Fantasy grounds has had little improvements
    Im not sure if you have noticed but that Updates Available button goes red at least once a week. For some people it goes red almost daily (because they have more things that are being updated).

I've been around since 2010 and I can see the massive changes FG has gone over. I don't think the UI is particularly bad. I happen to like it a lot.

Where I think Smiteworks has "gone wrong" so to speak is with FGU. There are so many little things that baffle me. Even with the UI. I don't understand the need for the collapsing sidebar. What we had before was perfectly fine. Other stuff is just weird to me too. Link sharing (ie. when you change the link colours, so things should be shared) don't work. No fullscreen (I think that vanished in Beta). And why the graphics frames are all over the place with button placements and sizes is just... argh... Shouldn't be a hard fix guys!

I could go on. Suffice to say there is a long way before FGU is done.

Just leave the UI alone. Overall it is fine. I DO NOT want something that looks like a windows programme!!!!

Sharing a link just means that the link is shared. You still have to share that which the link is pointing to.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yeah but... not in classic. You could just shift-click a link, and it was shared. Now it is sooo much more clunky. I want the classic function back SO badly!!!

Thread Information