STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

List of Undocumented SWADE Ruleset Features

Hey all,

seeing as Ikael is very busy right now and the documentation rework might be a bit further into the future, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can collect all the Features the SWADE ruleset has which are not already documented on the Effects page in Confluence. Things only explained by Doswelk or others in videos are fair game - I want to have it all in written form. Plenty of the stuff described here was actually covered in or even directly gathered from his Videos.
    Here is what I have so far:

Effects

Rolling additional dice
    These effects will roll an additional die whenever a roll is made. The result will be added to all dice rolled.
    Does not with the keywords Attack, Melee, Ranged or Thrown. Supports Attack specific effects.

Expression Notation Description
    Extra:Trait ASSIGNd Add the specified die to all Trait rolls.
    Extra:Damage ASSIGNd Add the specified die to all Damage rolls.

Example Description
    Extra:Notice =2d Adds an additional d6 to all Notice rolls.
    Extra:Fighting|Extra:Damage =1d Adds an additional d4 to all Fighting and Damage rolls.
    >Extra:Fighting|Extra:Damage =1d Adds an additional d4 to all Fighting and Damage rolls made with the attack this effect is assigned to.
    Extra:Fighting|Extra:Shooting =4d Adds an additional d10 to all Fighting and Shooting rolls.
    Extra:Fighting|Shooting =1d Careful! This rolls an additional d4 with all Fighting rolls, but sets the Shooting die to a d4!

Effect naming
    Please do not add this to the Wiki until Ikael has confirmed I got this right! I tested and dove into the source code, but I am not entirely sure I got this right!

When adding an effect, it can be given a NAME. Examples can be found in the ruleset itself and is as simple as writing the name before the brackets, like this: Defend [Parry +4]
    It is also possible to assign a TYPE to an effect. Instead of writing the NAME, instead it is written as TYPE, QUALIFIER.
    • When referencing the effect, it should be done as #QualifierType.
      Example: #DimIllumination will apply "Illumination, Dim".
    • When ignoring effects (see below), it is possible to ignore a whole type.
      Example: [Ignore #Illumination] will ignore "Illumination, Dim"; "Illumination, Dark"; and "Illumination, Pitch Black".
    • Some pre-defined effects can be referenced by just the qualifier, if the qualifier was deemed unique enough.
      Example: #Dim will apply "Illumination, Dim", but #Heavy will not apply "Cover, Heavy".
    • This also means that when using a self-defined effect, that shortcut will not work.
      Example: #Strength will not apply a custom effect "Boost, Strength [Strength> +1]" - only #StrengthBoost will do that.

All effects in "Effects" and "Modifiers" can be referenced or ignored this way (see below).

Minor Bugs

• In 4 places the Wiki talks about "Ganging Up", both in description and Effect name. The correct name is "Gang Up", like "@Gang Up -2".
    Last edited by FrodoB; May 22nd, 2023 at 13:27.

Miscallaneous

The Savage Worlds ruleset provides a lot of automatation and functionalities which may not be obvious at first.
    A few of them are:

Nothing to see here, everything has been added to the Wiki!

History
    2022-02-15: Added Global Effects, Load Strength
    2022-03-02: Brought formatting and phrasing more in line with the Wiki
    2022-03-15: Added Attribute+Linked skills, Renamed "Multiplier Effects" to "Factor Effects" (as this is what they're called internally), clarified effects naming
    2022-03-15: Removed sections that have already been added to the Wiki
    2022-03-16: Reworded "Effect naming" and added info given by Mike.
    2022-06-18: Added "Pace" (Halve/Double Movement added, "Pace MODd" got renamed "Run MODd"); Added "ActionCard".
    2022-07-03: Rewording to prepare Wiki update
    2022-07-05: Removed everything that has been added to the Wiki.
    Last edited by FrodoB; July 31st, 2022 at 16:10.

Reserved #3 (Better safe than sorry).

Feel free to add more stuff you find in your games or remember! I will try and come back to the thread every now and then to update the top post(s).
    Last edited by FrodoB; March 3rd, 2022 at 08:29.

Global Effects aren't mentioned in the documentation - but are fairly straightforward and really handy to know about.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Thanks for putting this thread together! I'll add the changes to the Savage Worlds ruleset wiki page that you linked to and I'll check back here periodically to see what's new. If anyone adds more to this thread, including screenshots, feel free to ping me on Discord and let me know.

Added both Global Effects and Load Strength.

Thanks for doing this!

A few to add - The multipliers should be paired with who to set up the weapon/attack with the Fire/Silver/Etc.

Maybe its just linking Doswell's video, but there should be notes on how to change an attack/spellcasting to another skill than the standard ones.

Quote Originally Posted by amerigoV View Post
    Thanks for doing this!
    A few to add - The multipliers should be paired with who to set up the weapon/attack with the Fire/Silver/Etc.
    It's already described how to do that in the Wiki. I will add a link to the section in question though!

Awesome initiative!
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information