STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

BUG REPORT: Walls NOT blocking line of sight or movement, for player's view

I'm running the Dungeon of the Mad Mage module.
    Player characters can see BEYOND any wall, for the distance of their vision (e.g. if they have darkvision), and they can even move through walls; when they move through walls, though, on the player's view they are moved across the map as if the wall doesn't exist, while on the DM's view their characters are blocked in front of the wall.

The "player vision preview" button on the DM's view, though, shows everything as it should be (walls blocking the line of sight and stopping characters).

What my players see:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 224427.png

What I see, with "player vision preview" selected:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 224427-2.png

Note how one of the characters in the player's view managed to move across a wall and is in the "nothingness" between rooms, while in my (DM) view she is pressed against the wall as if she was blocked by it (which is what should happen)

What the walls layer looks like:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 225203.png

And attached are the logs, too.

Now, I understand that bugs happen, but this particular kind of bug has happened a few times already in the past. It has always been fixed with a hotfix. Please get in the habit of doing regression tests before a release, because I had to cancel today's session since using a hand-drawn mask on the first level of Dungeon of the Mad Mage is, honestly, a daunting task.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lo Zeno; January 30th, 2022 at 23:01. Reason: more details

Extra details:

I made a test running FGU locally in two instances, and I moved one of the characters with darkvision to see what happened: not only the character can see beyond the walls into corridors that they haven't even explored, thanks to his darkvision but if I zoom out I can see a corridor that has lights on it even though this character has not reached that corridor yet. See the image, the corridor is on the south part of the map, and is well beyond the Darkvision range.
    Screenshot 2022-01-30 231301.png
    You can also see that the top-right character can see another room to the north-east that is separated by a long empty area, just because it's in range with the darkvision - the walls don't matter.

Here, instead, is what it looks like on my DM instance, with player vision preview mode:
    Screenshot 2022-01-30 231324.png
    I'm glad my players were honest and told me, because as you can see I couldn't have noticed from running just my instance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% certain there will never be regression testing at release of a new patch. Too many maps with too many FoW entries.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    100% certain there will never be regression testing at release of a new patch. Too many maps with too many FoW entries.

Jason
    I have just now replicated this issue with a new map created from scratch from a hand-drawn picture made by me, with walls hand drawn by me, and light hand-placed by me. So it's not an issue of this specific map, but a general vision and walls issue - which means it can be regression tested. As it should be.

Check to see if you have any extensions enabled and also if you have Party Vision in the 'enabled' state. These factors can contribute to confusion or errors.

Try without 'One-Click' Druid: Extension enabled. This tool has some features that might affect or change token behavior on maps. Whenever you encounter things that are bugged or broken start by disabling all extensions and work from there. If it's not the extension, then hopefully the bug can be determined.
    Last edited by Laerun; January 31st, 2022 at 00:17. Reason: Clarity
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    Before going on a rampage have you tested if LoS works if you enabled it maybe for the players and not only the GM?

Last edited by Zarestia; January 31st, 2022 at 00:22. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    Before going on a rampage have you tested if LoS works if you enabled it maybe for the players and not only the GM?

Good point. But have you noticed that the player's vision preview button made me see things differently from the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    Check to see if you have any extensions enabled and also if you have Party Vision in the 'enabled' state. These factors can contribute to confusion or errors.

Try without 'One-Click' Druid: Extension enabled. This tool has some features that might affect or change token behavior on maps. Whenever you encounter things that are bugged or broken start by disabling all extensions and work from there. If it's not the extension, then hopefully the bug can be determined.
    I have several extensions, but I have disabled them all when I took the screenshots (as I immediately assumed one of them was to blame). Party vision is OFF.
    Last edited by Lo Zeno; January 31st, 2022 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post

On the right: my DM instance with Player's Vision enabled, and all layers enabled for the players.
    On the left: my local Player session, where the selected player can see everything around them in a circle within the distance of their Darkvision. FoW has been reset completely, it's the first room in the dungeon, no other or movement done yet.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 072217.png
    Last edited by Lo Zeno; January 31st, 2022 at 07:26.

If the the LoS layer got toggled off at some point (or the LoS option got toggled off) and the player's token was on the map, then the LoS would be added to the token FoW. That's the grayed out section that the player token is showing vs. the bright area of what is in current LoS.

Have you tried re-dragging the player's token from the combat tracker to the map to reset the FoW (or right click on token and select Visibility->Clear FoW option)? Then, see if it's still an issue.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information