DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Inspiration for saving throws

I searched around, but I didnít find anything about this.

When an NPC casts a spell or does something else to the PCs that requires a saving throw, the system automatically rolls the saving throw for the player. With that in mind, how does the player use inspiration to get advantage on that roll? Or does this even work with the automation?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not automatically, but all the player has to do is to tell you they are using inspiration and then you re-roll the attack/spell/action to force another save roll.

It only become complicated if you have targeted multiple PCs, then just handle it manually. Have them roll and if they make it either adjust the damage after or remove them from the target list.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not automatically, but all the player has to do is to tell you they are using inspiration and then you re-roll the attack/spell/action to force another save roll.

It only become complicated if you have targeted multiple PCs, then just handle it manually. Have them roll and if they make it either adjust the damage after or remove them from the target list.
    Okay, so there isnít a mechanical way to do it. Thanks. And I suppose the fair way to handle it is to tell the players that they need to let me know up front, before the spell attack, that they want to use inspiration, since they shouldnít see the results of the first one before they decide (I have results being shown to players in my game).

Pure opinion comment (as there is no wrong way to do it): we dig the drama with using an inspiration point after-the-fact. We're pretty lax and let it apply to virtually any roll. So after the failure having the player involved say "wait - can I use Inspiration to re-roll" or (arguably even better...) as the player is absorbing the bad news, another player pipes-up with "do you have Inspiration?" and the vibe changes to hopeful...leading to possible hilarity if the second roll also fails miserably

Blog Entries
    I don't remember RAW, but yea, letting them decide after they know the outcome of the roll has been fine for us. Keep in mind, inspiration averages only once per session, because what I do is at the end of the session the plyers vote on who gets inspiration for the session (we play 2 hour sessions). If you give out more inspiration than that, then yes, you might not want them to use it after they determine the outcome. But because of the way FG works, we do inspiration, bardic, lucky, etc after results are determined. Sure, it gives the players a slight advantage over RAW, but it is a net positive for us.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I appreciate the responses. You guys have given me some stuff to think about. I have always just had inspiration be a "use it before you roll" resource for advantage. But I also don't award it often, partially because I forget and partially because it's pretty powerful.

Re-rolling after the fail mirrors some systems like Warhammer Fantasy and Savage Worlds. I don't really see a problem with that. I may incorporate that into my game. Thanks to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    I searched around, but I didn’t find anything about this.

When an NPC casts a spell or does something else to the PCs that requires a saving throw, the system automatically rolls the saving throw for the player. With that in mind, how does the player use inspiration to get advantage on that roll? Or does this even work with the automation?

Thanks
    To automate this simply have the PC click ADV in the bottom left of FGU, before you drop the spell save on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    To automate this simply have the PC click ADV in the bottom left of FGU, before you drop the spell save on them.
    That seriously works? I suggested that to my players, but we never actually tested. That would essentially solve my issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    That seriously works? I suggested that to my players, but we never actually tested. That would essentially solve my issue entirely.
    Yep. Also works for other things like bardic inspiration. They can throw a d6 (or whatever) in chat, to get the roll. Then drag or type that number in the mod box down there and it will apply on the next roll.

Blog Entries
    I forgot about that, good catch MrDDT!

Thread Information