5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    That is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    That would actually be tough since the dice rolling would be the same, many other wrinkles appear in each setting they have released. Each of the rulesets I created had a ton of differences between the two. From the number of attributes and skills, to how items and combat are handled. The most universal system would be (my opinion) would be Dune as it needs to cover many aspects without drilling down too deep. An universal 2d20 system wouldn't be an easy task without a ton of work.
    Yeah, in a system like Savage Worlds you have a generic set of rules that are shared by a bunch of different settings, but 2d20 is more of a set of general concepts (rolling dice pools against some target number, momentum, etc.). But then most of the rules in each 2d20 setting are different. For example: The Conan setting has a bunch of discreet skills each linked to a specific physical attribute, while Star Trek has six each of disciplines and attributes that can be combined however you want. Even something as simple as creating a control for a player to do a roll would require different functionality for the two.

You could create a generic 2d20 ruleset easily enough, but it wouldn't be playable by itself. Rather it would function like a base class that other rulesets would have to extend in order to implement the particular functionality of each different 2d20 setting. But I don't know how useful it would truly be, because the sorts of things that you could share between (for example) Star Trek and Conan is relatively small. Most of the functionality of each ruleset would have to be custom-implemented for each one.

Thread Information