5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Resolved - GPU Performance issues

Posting to help out fellow DMs & Players.

On Fantasy Grounds Unity I was experiencing extremely high GPU usage on a 3090

41% utilization by loading a newly created empty 5e campaign.
    0% when FGU is closed.

Within NVidia control panel I set the max frame rate to 60FPS for FGU and this reduced the GPU Utilization to 2%
    It seems that FGU tries to push an extreme amount of frames, perhaps unnecessarily similar to New World.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing GPU performance issues by changing the Frame Settings in your driver.

Be sure to check out https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    Last edited by DGM; January 28th, 2022 at 10:05. Reason: KB provided by Zacchaeus
    WELCOME TO THE EXPEDITION TO SLEEPER ISLAND
    Sleeper Island is a 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons community set on the unexplored continent.

Players of all different levels of experience, age, and nationality are welcome. Experience in Fantasy Grounds or Play by Post are helpful, but not necessary.

Join missions with new and familiar faces to uncover the mysteries still unfound in the perilous wilderness of Sleeper Island!
    https://sleeperisland.eu

Looks like mileage may vary. I just tried this on my computer, and it had no effect. Still seeing 28%-35% GPU after changing the setting, which is essentially what it was before.

using the /vsync commands within FGU has a much greater effect.
    Last edited by darrenan; January 28th, 2022 at 17:54.

By default, FGU tells the Unity game engine to use vsync = 1, which matches 1 monitor frame to 1 in-game frame. So, potentially, you could be looking at a high-refresh rate monitor driving the program harder.

Using "/vsync 0" chat command will set the refresh rate to a fixed 60 fps.

There is also settings for /vsync 2-4 which divide the monitor refresh rate by the given value.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; January 28th, 2022 at 19:41.

Thanks! Just wanted to share that this fixed my issue to. GTX 3090 went from consistent 100% usage to 14-20% just by changing FPS to 60. I was so confused when looking at the graphically tame home screen of FGU and hearing my fans roar to life lol

Thread Information